Bit of a blog – Navigator of the Seas – E Caribbean – 8 nights – 26th November 2011

I’m Platinum now and have a robe in the cupboard!! I feel chuffed. Bizarre how something so little can mean so much. There’s a very nice and thick coupon book so I have to investigate that. Whilst I am typing this up there’s a knock on the door…. Lady wanting to check the mini bar…. Hmmm…. I ask her to empty it. We have an unofficial meet at the pool bar at 3pm, hopefully everyone has made it on board by now. I need to investigate whether they serve Pimm’s on board…. Would love to be able to offer it in the room for the cabin crawl…. What are the chances? I don’t see the RCCL book on the coffee table or anything pertaining to room service…

There’s a weekly planner in the Compass. Very cool. Didn’t have this last time. Formal nights are night 2 and 6 (Puerto Rico) which has an early all aboard. There’s no cruise directory and raise this with my room steward.

3pm we have our unofficial M&M. Chair hogs have already checked in!

383958_10150975445785352_617355351_21864393_1425899817_n.jpg

They serve Pimm's!!

374255_10150975446465352_617355351_21864400_691437944_n.jpg

Muster is delayed but passes uneventfully. We leave about 20 minutes late. By the time we reach the webcam for our appointed wave it is very dark. Apparently we could be heard cheering. We had even gotten hold of a Port Everglades Webcam banner.

389445_10150975449180352_617355351_21864425_1392845256_n.jpg

Everyone turns up for dinner. Something comforting about ordering Onion Vidalia Tart and medium rare prime rib, foods I don’t normally eat; I feel comfortable in my surroundings despite the fact that I’m confused by the layout difference between Vision and Adventure class…. Again bizarre as I didn’t notice a difference last year…. I think the whole thing about being ‘loyal to Royal’ where I’m concerned is the fact that I recognise where I am even though the layout and décor are different the product is familiar so I feel ‘at home’. Attentive waiter service and I am returning to my gluten free diet tomorrow; I have been shown the menu and have made my choice. Will see how that goes.

Wow!! What a way to start a cruise. I hope the rest of your cruise is enjoyable. :)

Carnival is renovating four of those old "sheds" and RCI needs to step up to the plate and do the same or schedule their ships to use Terminal 18 to avoid that kind of fiasco. :mad:

Have a great time!

We’d arranged to be picked up by a shuttle service (7 of us at the same hotel). Just as well as the hotel shuttle was full of other cruisers at that time.

385878_10150975443580352_617355351_21864378_1547996774_n.jpg

We were on our way to the port by 1010 and arrived at Pier #29 (?) around 1030.

377849_10150975443785352_617355351_21864380_1769055952_n.jpg

Chaos. People were disembarking and whilst the traffic moved smoothly there was no signage and we found ourselves driving out of the port. So we rejoined the queue and eventually unloaded very efficiently. Things went downhill from here on.

There was a fair queue waiting to go into the terminal and we tagged ourselves on the end at 1040. Slowly slowly people were allowed into the terminal. Passport and setsail pass checked at door then carryon scanning. No problem. I don’t set off the body scan alarm. Then check in. Again no problem… but just concerned as I can see a great number of people sat on wooden chairs. Hmmm. I’m advised that boarding is delayed due to an annual Customs Inspection or something. I may have the name wrong but inspection was definitely one of the words.

2 hours later….. yeap….2 hours later…. One hot and sticky Linda gets to board. Dehydrated. No refreshments in the shed, no announcements or advice. It’s 78 degrees outside….they’ve stopped allowing people in; where are they? Have the opened another shed? No. They are outside with no shelter.

This pic is the shed…… state of the art eh?

384204_10150975444010352_617355351_21864381_1050358522_n.jpg

One comment here, Royal Caribbean is shooting themselves in the foot abandoning a very good facility at the Port of Miami to move their ships to Port Everglades? I have used both ports extensively and it is beyond me why anyone thinks that Everglades is a better port.

Linda... oh my I was reading on your FB page how bad and long it took to embark Navigator. These lines to get on were mind boggling. Thanks for the great photos and have fun as a Pink Boa member :) say hello to all my friends there. Wish I was there with you all:):)

Especially enjoyed these two photos the first my friend Wendy and her party can be seen in the first photo in line by the red barrier. The second the banner of the 'world famous Port Everglades webcam":)

390984_10150975444550352_617355351_21864385_245150090_n.jpg

389445_10150975449180352_617355351_21864425_1392845256_n.jpg

Carnival is renovating four of those old "sheds" and RCI needs to step up to the plate and do the same or schedule their ships to use Terminal 18 to avoid that kind of fiasco. :mad:

Have a great time!

Tyron..ahhh terminal 18 love it :) :)

One comment here, Royal Caribbean is shooting themselves in the foot abandoning a very good facility at the Port of Miami to move their ships to Port Everglades? I have used both ports extensively and it is beyond me why anyone thinks that Everglades is a better port.

Terminal 18 is amazing efficient. And even the one that Liberty departed from (I can't rmember the number though we departed from it on Independence) looks much better than this dump. I think the major draw of Port everglades is the 10 minute trip between it and FLL.

I have been considering booking Navigator for the 8 night itinerary but if this turns out to be a weekly event I will either switch to Oasis or Allure or go down to San Juan and sail on Adventure. There is no way I am going though a fiasco like that boarding.

I hope more people post here as the weeks go by about what they encounter. I hope the dudes at RCI are having a good look at those pictures this morning.

Great Ty... have 3 terminal 18 cruises booked LOL:D

LOL! I am so looking forward to checking in @ terminal 18 next Sunday! :D

Terminal 18 is amazing efficient. And even the one hat Liberty departed from (I can't rmember the number though we departed from it on Independence) looks much better than this dump. I think the major draw of Port everglades is the 10 minute trip between it and FLL.

I remember departing from Terminal 25 when I left on the Independence a few years ago. That was a wreck too but it doesn't look nearly as bad as Terminal 29! :eek:

I remember departing from Terminal 25 when I left on the Independence a few years ago. That was a wreck too but it doesn't look nearly as bad as Terminal 29! :eek:

I just checked. Oasis and Liberty are both in port the week that I am looking at for Navigator. I suppose that means it will be at this dump of a terminal. I am getting nervous now.:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

I just checked. Oasis and Liberty are both in port the week that I am looking at for Navigator. I suppose that means it will be at this dump of a terminal. I am getting nervous now.:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

Hopefully, a lot of the mayhem from yesterday was due to the inspection that was conducted although that still doesn't excuse that shabby shed used for embarkation. :rolleyes:

NorbertsNiece, You are doing a great job! Thank you for taking the time away from your sailing to take us all along.

The photos you provided of the lines of passengers and the facility being used by RCI were unbelievable. We are also sailing on Navigator in late winter and couldn't imagine being in a line like that! Not a good way to start a cruise!

Wow!! What a way to start a cruise. I hope the rest of your cruise is enjoyable. :)

Have a great time!

I agree Tyron. RCI should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this type of structure to be used as a cruise terminal. All of this just to make a number at the port. They have a great terminal 20 minutes south and they should be using that in place of putting three large ships in one port.

This is ridiculous. A port like Pt. Everglades should be ashamed of using a shed like this and calling it a cruise terminal. RCI should also be ashamed of allowing a structure like this to be used.

Is this what we got to look forward to next March:confused:Guess just spoiled by terminal 18 .:D

Because it is easier to get to!! Miami has always been a nightmare and have sailed out of there many time. Wrong turn and you are in an unsavery area if driving there. I lived in Miami in the 70's .

Because it is easier to get to!! Miami has always been a nightmare and have sailed out of there many time. Wrong turn and you are in an unsavery area if driving there. I lived in Miami in the 70's .

I also have cruised out of Miami many times and never a nightmare. RCI has a great terminal in Miami and they should be using that in place of a shed like we have seen above. It's not hard to find the port of Miami when driving.

The only reason that RCI has placed all their ships in FLL is due to the contract signed between RCCL and the port to bring in a certain number of passengers a year for a period of time. This was part of the agreement to build terminal 18.

Archived