Wine brought on at Embarkation

shofer

We just got off the Ruby. I brought a dozen bottles of wine (we were with a group) and taped up the top and put a luggage tag on it. The box had been opened, perhaps to check for hard liquor, but it was delivered to our stateroom. We paid cork fees on all but two bottles and I ended up bring five bottles back home, as we ordered some off the menu.

That said, there was a sheet that said we were only supposed to bring one bottle per person. I don't think we got the sheet until we arrived in our stateroom, which seems a little late to me! But many people have pointed out that what Princess says in these hand-outs and even on the website does not match what is in the contract of carriage, which allows for unlimited wine and no spirits. I don't know why they contract for one thing and then say another.

My carry-on on one cruise, was opened, examined, and passed, with, 14 prs of socks, 14 prs of underpants, 2 decks of playing cards, and 7 bottles of wine. :)

john

I guess you weren't planning on attending Formal Night - - or were you :eek: !!

My carry-on on one cruise, was opened, examined, and passed, with, 14 prs of socks, 14 prs of underpants, 2 decks of playing cards, and 7 bottles of wine. :)

john

DUDE! I wanna cruise with you!

;)

Just got off Island Princess in FLL - went to Total Wine, bought 8 bottles, had them put in case (with the 4 corner slots empty, as that is where damage usually happens, if any). Total Wine sealed the box for me, I slapped a luggage tag on it, and it was delivered to my stateroom at 4 pm with a slightly crumpled corner only. My only regret was not having more time to choose at Total Wine, they have EVERYTHING!

Are you charged the corkage fee even if you've opened the bottle yourself back in your room and brought the bottle into the dining room?

As explained above, a corkage fee has nothing to do with removing the cork.

I think it is completely reasonable to pay $15 to bring my own wine onboard. We bring very high-end bottles from small boutique wineries in California. I know that no ship will ever have these wines onboard and if they did, it would cost hundreds for a bottle. Last month, we paid a corkage fee of $50 a bottle at a Las Vegas restaurant. Some places in California charge $75 like The French Laundry.

Corkage is a per bottle fee that a restaurant charges a customer who brings their own wine to be consumed at that restaurant. The corkage fee is usually minimal and is considered a convenience charge to the restaurant for opening and serving wines from outside their cellar. The corkage fee is not designed to be a penalty for the diner and should not be viewed that way.

The corkage fee covers service, wine glass breakage/rental and some of the lost revenue from not selling a wine off the restaurant's list. Keep in mind that restaurants are in the business to make money and wine is perhaps their biggest profit center.

You should be charged and most likely will be charged even if you open the bottle in your cabin.

OMG, John!

you brought a smile to my face.. I love what you packed !! :D

john

Archived