Wine brought on at Embarkation

shofer

My friend and I are going on her first cruise together in January. Just the girls, hubbies staying home. DH and I have brought on 2 bottles of wine at embarkation. Is it limited to 2 bottles per cabin or per person? Jan and I were planning on 2 bottles each.

Should we put in our carry-ons or pack the extra in our luggage?

I know this has been posted many times but is seems the answers are always different.

Sue

The last cruise we did, we carried on 3 bottles of wine and had three in our checked bags as well as a bottle of Bombay and 2 bottles of tonic. It all made it to our stateroom before we did :)

In 9 Princess cruises we have always brought on board quite a few bottles of wine. Some we carried off, most were drank on the balcony. :)

I'm traveling from US with one transfer before reaching Italian embarkation station --- should I consider packing box wine, or leave the risk alone?

When embarking in Italy I always buy my wine there before boarding the ship, great wine, reasonable prices. ;)

I'm traveling from US with one transfer before reaching Italian embarkation station --- should I consider packing box wine, or leave the risk alone?

We took Black Box Chardonnay with us to Athens for embarkation on Pacific Princess. I wrapped it in my grandson's outgrown diapers, then put it in jumbo ziplock bag. It made it fine with plane transfers in Atlanta and Paris. I think it added about 8 lbs to the suitcase. My suitcase has a hard plastic bottom and soft top, but I packed it and secured it in the hard shell area. It's not my favorite wine, but travel with it because it's unbreakable.

My friend and I are going on her first cruise together in January. Just the girls, hubbies staying home. DH and I have brought on 2 bottles of wine at embarkation. Is it limited to 2 bottles per cabin or per person? Jan and I were planning on 2 bottles each.

Should we put in our carry-ons or pack the extra in our luggage?

I know this has been posted many times but is seems the answers are always different.

Sue

Yes, you can bring wine onboard. No limit. If brought to the dining room, you will be charged a $15 corkage fee. Your cabin steward will provide you with clean wine glasses and a corkscrew, though we bring our own opener. You can also order glasses through room service or stop by any bar and pick some up. We always pack the wine in our checked bags as we are flying.

We took Black Box Chardonnay with us to Athens for embarkation on Pacific Princess. I wrapped it in my grandson's outgrown diapers, then put it in jumbo ziplock bag. It made it fine with plane transfers in Atlanta and Paris. I think it added about 8 lbs to the suitcase. My suitcase has a hard plastic bottom and soft top, but I packed it and secured it in the hard shell area. It's not my favorite wine, but travel with it because it's unbreakable.

thank you for the info. I'll see how it works out, as I begin my packing this week. Again, I appreciate you taking the time to respond,

Wine on Princess, no problem.

Don't try it on RCL or Celebrity, I am spoiled and bought a bottle of wine in port and had it confiscated. I thought that I could take it to dinner and pay a corkage. I felt very foolish being pulled over and scolded. It was like being back in 2nd grade.

One more reason why Princess is where I belong. Alice

Wine on Princess, no problem.

Don't try it on RCL or Celebrity, I am spoiled and bought a bottle of wine in port and had it confiscated. I thought that I could take it to dinner and pay a corkage. I felt very foolish being pulled over and scolded. It was like being back in 2nd grade.

One more reason why Princess is where I belong. Alice

Celebrity allows you to bring on two bottles of wine per cabin at the point of embarkation only. Nothing during port stops. If brought to the dining room, a $25 corkage fee will be imposed per bottle. RCCL doesn't let you bring on anything. Were you on a RCCL ship?

On our recent TA onboard Ruby, we brought 6 bottles on while we were in Venice. After wine tastings in Rome and Florence, we brought on another 6. Also brought 2 aboard in the Azores. There were 3 we couldn't drink before the end of the cruise, so paid corkage in the dining room and shared with table mates. Princess treats us like responsible adults and it is much appreciated.

On our recent TA onboard Ruby, we brought 6 bottles on while we were in Venice. After wine tastings in Rome and Florence, we brought on another 6. Also brought 2 aboard in the Azores. There were 3 we couldn't drink before the end of the cruise, so paid corkage in the dining room and shared with table mates. Princess treats us like responsible adults and it is much appreciated.

Agreed!

Celebrity allows you to bring on two bottles of wine per cabin at the point of embarkation only. Nothing during port stops. If brought to the dining room, a $25 corkage fee will be imposed per bottle. RCCL doesn't let you bring on anything. Were you on a RCCL ship?

It was Celebrity, but from a stop in Italy. I would have been happy to pay the corkage at dinner. Getting the bottle back on the last night just gave me another problem to pack. I never thought of it being a problem. Princess has me spoiled.

Gubby is right, we all brought wine back on the TA from the ports. Oh well

On our last cruise we had a bottle of bubbly in the cabin and I poured myself a big glass and just walked into the dining room with it. No corkage fee! LOL.

Of course, I am a one-drink girl so this was sufficient for dinner. I don't imagine it would work to carry 3 or 4 glasses in with you.

Princess treats us like responsible adults and it is much appreciated.

It's one of the many things that keeps us returning to Princess who continues to provide the best overall cruise within our budgetary limits. :)

Wow...Celebrity charges a $25 corkage fee! :eek:

It's one of the many things that keeps us returning to Princess who continues to provide the best overall cruise within our budgetary limits. :)

Wow...Celebrity charges a $25 corkage fee! :eek:

Another reason we are going to give Holland America a try in a few months. They allow unlimited amounts of wine to be brought onboard and if brought to the dining room, $15 corkage applies. I am so tired of Celebrity with their two-bottle per cabin rule. Don't even get me started on Royal Caribbean and their "nothing can be brought onboard rule."

Another reason we are going to give Holland America a try in a few months. They allow unlimited amounts of wine to be brought onboard and if brought to the dining room, $15 corkage applies. I am so tired of Celebrity with their two-bottle per cabin rule. Don't even get me started on Royal Caribbean and their "nothing can be brought onboard rule."

On my most recent RCCL cruise a couple of years ago, I had to get a wine package to get prices nearly as low as Princess' individual bottle prices.

Last month 'capnjack' posted about a wine package being tested on the Coral which hopefully will be implemented fleetwide...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1501164

We just came home from the Westerdam and bought a case of wine at Total Wine and put it in a box. Delivered to our cabin no problem

The corkage fee is now $18.00 if you bring it to the dining room

Ontario Cruiser

We just came home from the Westerdam and bought a case of wine at Total Wine and put it in a box. Delivered to our cabin no problem

The corkage fee is now $18.00 if you bring it to the dining room

Ontario Cruiser

Thanks for the update on the corkage fee!

Archived