Port days onboard ship.....

telboy18

We did exactly that, at Le Havre on Arcadia in autumn 2010. We just had a lazy day, which was helped by the fact that the night before had been the formal night and we'd stayed up quite late. I think there were some activities but we spent the morning exploring the ship and taking pictures, then spent the afternoon in the Crows Nest reading books. A lot of people had got up early for the excursions to Paris.

I blogged about this cruise here.

Hi there isn't much to do there really anyway. But as Tom said, plenty of quizzes and talks going on. I still find these excursions to Paris a pain. Why go on a 2.5 hour bus trip there when you can get there in less time on the eurostar !! People must be bonkers, unless they've come from far a field !!

Still each to their own I suppose lol.

But look at me, I still want to see Rome before I die and that's a slap from the port too.

Enjoy your port day :)x

Stitch (wanting a roman holiday) xx

Hi there isn't much to do there really anyway. But as Tom said, plenty of quizzes and talks going on. I still find these excursions to Paris a pain. Why go on a 2.5 hour bus trip there when you can get there in less time on the eurostar !! People must be bonkers, unless they've come from far a field !!

But look at me, I still want to see Rome before I die and that's a slap from the port too.

Enjoy your port day :)x

Well old fellow get off your ******** and do it.

Gan Canny

Dai.

I still find these excursions to Paris a pain. Why go on a 2.5 hour bus trip there when you can get there in less time on the eurostar !! People must be bonkers, unless they've come from far a field !!

It may be less than 2.5 hours to Paris from the South East - London, Essex and Kent etc but people onboard will live all around the UK, so if they live in Scotland, the South West, the North or Midlands, it's a great opportunity to at least get a flavour of beautiful Paris. I don't live in the back of beyond but it would take me 6 hours to get to London so I can't just hop on the Eurostar any time I feel like it. For anybody North of the Watford Gap it would take a lot longer than for Stichman in Essex and I don't think they're all bonkers - LOL!

The other advantage is that the excursion is all organised for you so you can just sit back and relax.

Personally I would get off the ship on a port day on a 3n/2n cruise....surely there is something you can do/visit besides Paris -have you researched the trips for this port? I've done 5 or 6 short cruises in the last 5 years and the ship is DEAD on a port day on a short cruise...the shops are shut, a lot of staff are on shore leave, if the weather is poor it won't be worth going out on deck... I always get off, even if its a afternoon trip for a few hours.

Personally I would get off the ship on a port day on a 3n/2n cruise....surely there is something you can do/visit besides Paris -have you researched the trips for this port? I've done 5 or 6 short cruises in the last 5 years and the ship is DEAD on a port day on a short cruise...the shops are shut, a lot of staff are on shore leave, if the weather is poor it won't be worth going out on deck... I always get off, even if its a afternoon trip for a few hours.

You can get a taxi to Hornfleur which is about 20/25 minutes away. Beautiful fishing village.

Just what I was going to say. I couldn't possibly stay on the ship. What for? Get off, explore, it's a French town with a lot going for it. For goodness sake. Even if you just get off for an hour or two, you can still do stupid things on the ship the rest of the day.

Thanks for all you replies, we have done this trip a few times now so no need to go to Le Havre or Honfleur as we have been to both before. We would go back into Honfleur if it wasn't a winter cruise. Been to Paris a few times also as only 30 minutes from ebbsfleet for Eurostar. We will just have a quiet one on board whilst everyone else is away for the day.

• 4 months later...

Archived