Seafood buffet

shofer

I keep seeing this mentioned in various thread and wonder if and when it will be on the Grand? When we were on the Coral in 2007, they offered it one lunch and it was very disappointing. Did not see it on the Grand in 2008.

Is it ship-specific or certain days only?

Sue

The seafood buffet that most people talk about is on the large ships in the Caribbean. It's in the buffet on the first night of the cruise and they call it the Sailaway Buffet, in my experience. I've had it a few times and it's all cold seafood: shrimp, lobster claws and crab "knuckles". Personally, I think it's the leftover seafood from the previous cruise and they just cook it up and serve it cold on the first night of the cruise. LOL. Your mileage may vary on how much and what is offered.

I've gone to the seafood buffet on the Crown and it was pretty bad. Everything is subjective but they had shrimp cocktails with very small shrimp, breaded shrimp that was so overcooked it was hard and tasteless, and crabs legs that were small and mushy. Maybe we hit it on a bad night but I'd never do it again. IMHO, no loss if it's no longer done.

I've gone to the seafood buffet on the Crown and it was pretty bad. Everything is subjective but they had shrimp cocktails with very small shrimp, breaded shrimp that was so overcooked it was hard and tasteless, and crabs legs that were small and mushy. Maybe we hit it on a bad night but I'd never do it again. IMHO, no loss if it's no longer done.

My last one was also on the Crown and at the time I thought it was definately all frozen and way overcooked. There is nothing worse than those little "bait" shrimp that are all mushy. Crab legs are spongy and full of water after being frozen and have no taste. I can understand why doing the seafood buffet with fresh seafood is too expensive but I think it would be better not to have it at all rather than serve what they are serving.

I was on the Ruby 10/2010 & the Emerald 02/2011, the great seafood buffet is history although they did have a small selection, ended going to MDR & had a great meal. Will be on the Ruby again next month & see what gives.

• 1 month later...

I can't imagine choosing the seafood buffet over the MDR on the first night, but we love to go and make up a platter of smoked salmon and whatever looks good to have with a glass of wine on the balcony before our late traditional.

The first time I had the sail away it was many moons ago, it was amazing! The lobster claws were yummy and the crab legs were nice and big.

Never, ever got that quality again. Now I don't even bother looking.

And this is from someone who will NOT eat what they serve for lobster in the dinning room. Coming from New England, it's just bad. But the lobster claws were SO good. Sad that they are gone.

I can't imagine choosing the seafood buffet over the MDR on the first night, but we love to go and make up a platter of smoked salmon and whatever looks good to have with a glass of wine on the balcony before our late traditional.

Chose ? We never chose between the two, we did both. Ate as much of the seafood as we cared for & then went for a regular meal in the dining room after. :D

Never, ever got that quality again. Now I don't even bother looking.

And this is from someone who will NOT eat what they serve for lobster in the dinning room. Coming from New England, it's just bad.

You're right. Unless its fresh lobster for which you'll pay extra in a specialty restaurant, the frozen stuff on cruise ships is abominable. I never order lobster on a cruise because I can order fresh lobster from Marblehead Lobster Company and have it shipped directly, and live, to CA. I also never use that crappy stuff they pass off as maple syrup. It's not. :(

The seafood buffet has virtualy disappeared on our last few cruises. I used to bring nutcrackers for the lobster claws, but alas, I haven't seen lobster claws in the last few years. They still have shrimp (about half the size) and salmon, prime rib, and other things, but all in all, it's just not the same. Part of the cut-backs I guess.

You're right. Unless its fresh lobster for which you'll pay extra in a specialty restaurant, the frozen stuff on cruise ships is abominable. I never order lobster on a cruise because I can order fresh lobster from Marblehead Lobster Company and have it shipped directly, and live, to CA. I also never use that crappy stuff they pass off as maple syrup. It's not. :(

And you WERE Pam from MA for a while so you know what I am talking about!!!:D

I really miss the crab legs we would get the night before the second formal night. They were so sweet and I enjoyed them so much. they also had the greatest lobster bisque as well. There are so many great things to eat but those just stand out in my mind.

Archived