New England cruise - Quebec City

luv2travel77

We were on the repo from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale this year and have previously been on a Canada/New England cruise that ended with a 2-day call in Montreal.

Personally I didn't like ending the cruise with an overnight stay because it felt like the cruise ended as soon as we docked. That entire day prior to disembarkation just didn't feel right.

On the other hand, starting with an overnight stay had its advantages. It gave us a chance to enjoy Quebec and tour outside the city to places we otherwise would not have visited. The only downside was that the first evening, after boarding, wasn't quite as festive since the excitement of sailaway was absent. It really did not detract from the cruise.

I agree, don't know if I would like the 2 day stop at the end, but we sure did like it at the start of the Quebec City to Ft. Lauderdale trip. :D

We took a taxi to the Montmorency Falls. It had snowed the night before and looked fantastic.

We took an independent tour there plus the church & then the island...a better tour for less money than through Princess but obviously less flexibility than in a taxi. :). It was the best changing of the colors during the entire cruise & they were falling as we sailed.

I agree, don't know if I would like the 2 day stop at the end, but we sure did like it at the start of the Quebec City to Ft. Lauderdale trip. :D

We had it at the end of the cruise.

A great day touring on day 1 and a trip to the airport on the morning of day 2.

We were on the repo from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale this year and have previously been on a Canada/New England cruise that ended with a 2-day call in Montreal.

"Is it just me who wonders why they bother painting lines on the roads in Rome?"

Love your signature line! So true! :D:D:D

On our cruise, some did embark on the second day. We passed them as they were going up the walkway. We even had a couple who missed the ship and had to get on in the next port. Unfortunately, due to winds, we skipped the port but they had someone they had to medi-vac so they tendered in and were able to pick up the stragglers.

Makes sense now. There are really no big hotels in the Old Quebec area, unless you count the Chateau Frontenac whose room rates go for about the same as per night of the cruise (2 passengers) anyway. Most of those smaller hotels nearby have little vacancies year round so where would the 3000+ passengers stay?

Being from Quebec, you'd thought I knew better. :) I guess I should have asked if it is possible to embark one day later and have them take off a day's portion from the cruise fare? Just a thought. :) Don't think it's possible though...

We were on the same cruise as AstroFlyer last fall and the only regret we had was not flying in two days early instead of one. So much to see - it's a wonderful, historic and beautiful place. We had no problem finding a place to stay - right up the street from the Frontenac with a view of our ship in port.

Makes sense now. There are really no big hotels in the Old Quebec area, unless you count the Chateau Frontenac whose room rates go for about the same as per night of the cruise (2 passengers) anyway. Most of those smaller hotels nearby have little vacancies year round so where would the 3000+ passengers stay?

Being from Quebec, you'd thought I knew better. :) I guess I should have asked if it is possible to embark one day later and have them take off a day's portion from the cruise fare? Just a thought. :) Don't think it's possible though...

I stayed at the Hilton. It was pricey, but no problem booking a room (late September).

Quebec – Since I booked a preflight overnight stay, I took the countryside tour. An excellent guide conducted the tour. His skill as a guide is remarkable considering tour guiding is a part time job for him. Like most locals, he works at multiple jobs to pay the local taxes. On day two I toured Quebec City on my own. With a bit of research, the latter is very doable. The Info Center in has good highlighted maps. Audio tours are available, too.

Astro Flyer, can you please tell us who you used for your private tour in Quebec City? Thanks.:)

Since you asked then I think it's not a violation of CC rules, it's Old Quebec Tours & we took the "A Fabulous Country Tour" after spending overnight on the ship.

http://www.toursvieuxquebec.com/en

We took the morning tour so afterwords we still had enough time to visit Québec on our own. As others have said Québec is a wonderful city and I would suggest getting there early. Our one night in a hotel after a train ride from Montréal and one night onboard the ship was not enough time to really fully experience all that Québec has to offer. 'bjkTX' & his wife booked a carriage tour of Québec on embarkation morning & graciously invited us to join them. You meet some of the nicest people on CC & we've become friends.

Thank you so much for your quick reply. This is exactly what we are looking for in a morning tour! Thanks again!:D

Glad that it was helpful & if you're not involved on your cruise's roll call I'm certain that you'll be able to exchange lots of helpful info with others on your cruise. :)

Archived