Bariatric surgery and cruising on HAL

Blamar

I recently had bariatric surgery and was wondering if anyone else out there has travelled on HAL and how did you make out for food on the trip? I know there are lots of options but also lots of temptations too. So for anyone who has had an RNY, Gastric Bypass, sleeve or lapband, how did you survive the pleasures of Holland America Dining.

Hi Blamar,

In May my aunt and I went on a TA cruise on the Ruby princess, she had just had lapband surgery, and although was tempted she stuck to her wits and stayed on track...with the occasional ice cream thrown in! :) She stuck mostly with soups, as all the other food didnt stay down nicely..

I hope this helps you, sorry if it doesnt. :rolleyes:

I too just had bariatric surgery. I will be 5 months out when we cruise next and I'm hoping someone who has had GBS can give us a head's up. although now at 3 and a half months I can pretty much eat anything, I just choose not to.

I had my most successful RNY bariatric surgery back in late 2003, and will soon be a four star mariner; so as you can see, it hasn't stopped my cruising habit one bit!! The only thing I do differently, is advise my waiters that I've had major stomach surgery, no other details than that, and will not be able to eat very much. I then make it a special point to advise the head waiter of the same thing, so that everyone is aware that I'm not dissatisfied with my meal, just unable to finish it. It upsets the waiters if they think you are the least bit unhappy with any aspect of the meal, so I'm guilty about trying to pawn off parts of it to my hubby, who really shouldn't be indulging, either!! And if you're able to tolerate alchohol, you'll find the wine stewards will be most happy to advise you of the drier less sweet wines, etc. The HAL dining staff is truly the best and will go out of their way to make you happy!!! Often, I will only order an appetizer and salad, skipping the main course and dessert. The waiters always want you to try their sugar-free treats, but I'm simply too full for even a cup of coffee. You won't having any trouble!!! I never did!!!!

8 year post RNY. Just finished my second cruise. Always have a plan before you enter the MDR, Lido or any other dining room. Keep track of the locations of the bathrooms in relationship to the dining rooms in the event you need to 'purge' your loss of control.

DW and I are both three years out from RNY and have cruised many times since. Breakfasts and lunches have consisted of short stops at the Lido for protein heavy plates every couple of hours. For example, a plate of smoked salmon at 7:30 and a couple of eggs at 9:30, etc. Agree with informing your wait staff at MDR about your "stomach surgery" so they understand your not cleaning your plate. Most times there has been no room for dessert but there is always the cheese plate. We are able to drink and have our cocktails or wine prior to dinner rather than with the meal.

Also, don't hesitate to make a plate at the Lido to take back to the room for between meal protein snacks. We also always have protein bars available in the cabin and for shore excursions.

May sound like a lot of thought, but it has become second nature to us now.

Cruising with lap-band is not an issue!

No one needs to be concerned about leaving food on your plate! I enjoyed all there was to enjoy, just in the right quantity. The biggest challenge frankly was communicating to the Lido servers to give me small portions! I would not recommend getting in the habit of sticking with soups or things you can consume easily - as that will potentially set you up with a pattern of eating to "cheat" whatever flavor of bariatric surgery you have had.

You will have a wide array of high quality well prepared foods, and if something is not going down well, you can always make another menu selection. My personal experience is that I can generally eat anything I desire, it's a function of how long and thoroughly you chew your food for us banders. Other surgeries may require other dietary decisions, but there are always plenty of options on ship. I even had deserts, including ice cream, anytime I desired.

The only other issue you have to be prepared for is shore excursions that provide meals - your options may be so limited that you cannot get adequate combinations of foods that you need, and as one poster suggested you should bring a snack that you KNOW you can comfortably consume within you bariatric surgery requirements.

Most importantly, I ate well, enjoyed the Pinnacle and LeCircue 3 times, and did not gain any weight on my 10 day cruise on Zuiderdam.

I had Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery in the Spring of 2009. Since that time, I have probably cruised 90 days on a variety of different cruise lines. I lost almost a 150 lbs and have maintained it without any difficulty!

I'll admit I was a little nervous on my first cruise post surgery. But the reality was "no problem". At home I eat one "real" meal a day. For breakfast I have Slimfast and for lunch a protein shake with fresh fruit. It is impossible to bring cans of slim fast and protein powders would be difficult to do. Getting the 60 grams of protein was a challenge, but I've worked it out in a rather strange way. I have big problems with most egg dishes. I think there is too much fat in omelets and scrambled eggs. But I can handle poached eggs with no problems at all. For breakfast I have eggs benedict and usually leave the english muffins on my plate. I'll admit I get tired of the eggs benedict day after day, but I have never regretted having the surgery OR cruising. For lunch I try to have soup and a protein bar.

We take late seating and I cannot wait to eat till 8 in the evening without a snack. Sometimes we go to afternoon tea and get a little savory sandwich or other times go to the Lido and get some cheese when they start dinner service up there. Never once have I had a problem with dinner in the dining room. I rarely eat red meat now. There is always a delicious sea food option and often there is a chicken dish on the menu. There is always a fruit appetizer. Often I will ask my waiter to hold the fruit for my desert. There is always an acceptable soup. I pass on the desert in favor of the apetizer fruit if I "still have room".

Also, I found out that I could eat more on a ship because of the greatly increased level of physical activity (either walking or the gym) while on board. We just returned from a six week trip to Europe which included three weeks on the Prinsendam. I was delighted to find that I had lost about five lbs on the trip which I attribute to all the walking I did.

Enjoy your trip, and if you stick to your game plan, you will have no problems.

CAUTION: I don't know what type of surgery you have had, but if your style makes you susceptible to dumping syndrome, make sure you stay clear of the "no sugar added" deserts. Those words are often a strong hint that they contain sugar alcohols. I have had a very serious problem with dumping syndrome and sugar alcohols. I have explained my surgery to my waiter and they have been helpful. But twice the waiter convinced me to try to try the sugar free items, and both times I had bad repercussions.

Not after surgery, but on a diet similar to diabetics trying not to gain weight. Breakfast - buffet with smoked salmon, healthy (hopefully) bread, and veggies. Dessert - only fruit.

Lunch is easier, start with a salad to fill you up. Afternoon tea - on my ship there was a snack place where I'd get a slice of cheesecake and decaf. Dinner - fruit soup, salad or vegetarian entree for more veggies.

In between, I'd always have in the cabin a slice of bread, an apple, a banana, peanut butter - something for a quick snack.

The trick is, plan the next snack and have the next small meal. And I took food with me on shore, sorry if this was stealing, but I needed it.

As you can see from all the feedback, you will do just fine. It's not like you will be able to over-eat. It will be just like home except someone else is doing the cooking! We both have had RNY surgery and it has been 4 years. Just have fun and don't worry. Enjoy your trip!

Julie

I have not had the surgery but have to closely watch how much I eat for diabetic reasons. I eat every meal in the dining room and tell the waiter I want half portions and then choose the items with the least carbs. Dessert is the really hard part as I love sweets so most of the time I eat only 1 bite of my husbands dessert and only order coffee or tea.

Hope this helps. My daughter in law had the surgery you are going to get and she has done great and looks terrific.

Gook Luck !!!:)

As a bariatric patient, did any of you go to the specialty restaurants. For the amount I eat it would seem to be barely worth while but the taste might be worth it.

We didn't do the specialty restaurants for that reason. We both have lap-bands. Mine is 3 years out, and there are days I just flat-out can't eat and travel seems to make it more finicky. So, I stuck to stuff I knew would likely go down well and ate small portions. Like others, we told our waiter we'd had stomach surgery so if we didn't eat all our food it wasn't because we didn't like it - we'd tell them if we didn't.

I had a couple of bad times, had to know where the restrooms were and hope no one thought I had some odd virus! :D

Archived