The Fish and Chips place on the Valor?

papa deuce

If I want to get some things from the buffet to have with the fish and chips, do you think someone would take it up for me ? I don't think I could walk up the stairs carrying a platter of food, I'm not that stable on steps. I don't recall seeing an elevator on the deck plans that would be close , or is there ?

There is usually a small bank of elevators just aft of fish and chips (behind the wall on the opposite side of that small buffet atrium). It's a small bank, I think just one or two elevators but they do go all the whay up to where F&S is.

If I want to get some things from the buffet to have with the fish and chips, do you think someone would take it up for me ? I don't think I could walk up the stairs carrying a platter of food, I'm not that stable on steps. I don't recall seeing an elevator on the deck plans that would be close , or is there ?

When we were on the Valor there was usually staff standing right at the bottom of the stairs..I am sure you could ask one of them. I would be surprised if they said no.

One thing I have been meaning to ask... what about BEER? I mean, it's practically criminal to have fish & chips without beer accompanying - is there a place nearby where one can procure this epicurean elixir?

There are bars near by, and there are 37 thousand roaming bar service folks on any of the nearby decks and circulating through the buffet areas.

My family and I were on the Valor over Labor Day in September 2011 -- we all liked the Valor fish and chips. My mom and I really liked the tuna and watermelon -- almost like a ceviche. My dad and nephew liked the friend oysters. My son and wife ate the fried fish a couple of times.

It was a nice place to sit and relax for lunch -- even if the downstairs was buzzing and crowded simply walking up the stairs would provide lots of room, seats by the window.

There is a drink station immediately by the steps, and waiters would be there to help with anything else you needed.

• 3 weeks later...

As the OP, I have made myself too excited by the thought of good fish and chips, it seems.... I went out and found Alton Brown's recipe from food network and made my own 2 nights ago.... it was pretty good, but I'm hoping that the stuff on the Valor is even better.

I've had greasy, gross fish and chips 3x in the last month at various restaurants - the chain restaurants.

I like just about everything they have. The octapus salad isn't the best. The ceviche is fantastic. They don't have the seared tuna on watermelon anymore, now it's a watermelon and tuna tartar, still really good.

Fish and chips are great, oysters are just ok. My favorite is the zuchini/calamari fritters, delish!!

The 1st week of December the Valor had seared tuna on watermelon. They have different things on different days.

As I recall, there is indeed an elevator just a few more feet aft of the stairs. I think you'll find it there with no problem.

Have a GREAT cruise, and enjoy that area that not many find! ;)

"SKY"

Thanks to this board I decided months ago that my husband and I will be getting our lunch from the fish n' chips station on embarkation day. Yes, I decided this for my husband too... lol. ;) I told him though and he's all for it since he leaves all the planning up to me and actually enjoys "just showing up" as he calls it. He is of course welcome to wait in a line elsewhere, but he loves fish 'n chips!

We used to wait in the Mongolian Wok line for the first day lunch since that was usually the day that it was the shortest (yet it was still a 20 minute wait).

Looking forward to a bouillabaise & chips lunch next week!!! :D

As I recall, there is indeed an elevator just a few more feet aft of the stairs. I think you'll find it there with no problem.

Have a GREAT cruise, and enjoy that area that not many find! ;)

"SKY"

I can't wait! I love to find the 'little known,' areas. Hey, it you are not on Cruise Critic, you miss a lot.

There is usually a small bank of elevators just aft of fish and chips (behind the wall on the opposite side of that small buffet atrium). It's a small bank, I think just one or two elevators but they do go all the whay up to where F&S is.

Thanks for the info on this. We'll have something good to eat in your honor.

When we were on the Valor there was usually staff standing right at the bottom of the stairs..I am sure you could ask one of them. I would be surprised if they said no.

Oh, good. I suspected we would be helped if we needed to be.

The only thing with the fish & chips station is there are no trays. The bowls of bouillabaisse are pretty big, you get a baguette to go with it, I could prop the ceviche in the crook of my arm but that's all I could carry. Maybe you can set the plate of fish & chips on top of the bowl of soup...

I think that's the main reason I never tried the fish & chips. Too full to go back & get in line after eating it, and liked it so much I never wanted to skip it & just try fish & chips.

ETA: Now thinking back the fish chips were in a basket - which would have fallen into the bowl of soup? No wonder I didn't manage to put it over the soup & just carry.

Archived