Cruise Care - Cancel any reason

3some

We had the Celebrity Cruise Care insurance for our recent Summit sailing and my SO had to cancel a week before the cruise because of a work emergency. I went on the cruise without him :( because we were traveling with my Dad and his wife. I filed a claim with BerkelyCare for his share of the cruise (supposed to get a credit for 80% of the cruise price, which can be used in the next year. I got a reply that they received my claim on Nov 8.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this process and can give me a guess on how long it takes to get the credit. We'd like to book another cruise in Jan or Feb and I'd like to use the credit. If it's normally a 6-8 week process (or longer?), there's no point in calling them now.

TIA

We had the Celebrity Cruise Care insurance for our recent Summit sailing and my SO had to cancel a week before the cruise because of a work emergency. I went on the cruise without him :( because we were traveling with my Dad and his wife. I filed a claim with BerkelyCare for his share of the cruise (supposed to get a credit for 80% of the cruise price, which can be used in the next year. I got a reply that they received my claim on Nov 8.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this process and can give me a guess on how long it takes to get the credit. We'd like to book another cruise in Jan or Feb and I'd like to use the credit. If it's normally a 6-8 week process (or longer?), there's no point in calling them now.

TIA

Hmmm, are you sure you're going to get anything at all?

I may be wrong, but isn't there a list of specific acceptable qualifying reason to cancel. I'm not sure can't get off work is one of them.

EDIT:

Here's what they say on the first page of the Cruise Care PDF

This Cancellation Penalty Waiver is an addendum to your cruise ticket contract. Through the

CruiseCare program, Celebrity Cruises will waive their standard cancellation provision and refund to you

IN CASH the otherwise non-refundable value of the unused portion of your prepaid cruise vacation,

should you or your traveling companion need to cancel or interrupt your cruise vacation for any one of

the following reasons (subject to the restrictions noted below*):

1. sickness, injury, or death of yourself, a traveling companion or members of either of your

immediate families, which is diagnosed and treated by a physician at the time your cruise vacation

is terminated;

2. involvement in a traffic accident, en route to departure, that causes you to miss your cruise;

3. your home is made uninhabitable by a natural disaster such as fire, flood, earthquake, hurricane or

volcano;

4. you are called into active duty by the military to provide aid or relief as a result of a natural disaster;

5. subpoena or being called to serve for jury duty;

CruiseCare Cancellation Penalty Waiver refunds are also provided if you are charged a change in

occupancy/single supplement charge as a result of your traveling companion’s cancellation due to one of

the reasons cited above

Just found it... looks like you're outta luck...

*Please note the following restrictions:

Celebrity Cruises will not waive their cancellation penalty and provide a cash refund, should you cancel or interrupt your cruise vacation for any of the following reasons:

ƒ a condition that first presents, worsens, becomes acute or has symptoms causing a person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment, or prompts a change in medication, during the 60 days before you purchased this waiver; mental, nervous or psychological disorders, or pregnancy, unless

hospitalized; elective abortion; drugs or intoxicants, unless prescribed by a Physician;

ƒ business, contractual or educational obligations of you, an immediate family member, or traveling companion;

ƒ declared or undeclared war, or any act of war; service in the armed forces of any country;

ƒ any unlawful acts, committed by you or a traveling companion;

ƒ other condition, event or circumstance occurring prior to your purchase of CruiseCare.

Cruise care is described at the middle & bottom of this page: http://www.celebritycruises.com/planAndBook/beforeYouGo/tabLanding.do?pagename=before_you_go_gateway&tab=before_you_go_customize_vacation

And the Cancel for any reason provision is discussed at the end of the second paragraph on that page as well as page 2 of the Cruise Care brochure at:

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/en_US/pdf/insurance/DofC%20CEL%20060607.pdf

There is such a thing from "X"? :confused: Interesting... got a link?

I am not the OP; the OP specifically mentioned Cancel for Any Reason and then you answered a different question. I have never purchased insurance from the cruise line so have no idea what options exist and I am simply going with what the OP spoke about.

I am not the OP; the OP specifically mentioned Cancel for Any Reason and then you answered a different question. I have never purchased insurance from the cruise line so have no idea what options exist and I am simply going with what the OP spoke about.

"Cancel for any reason" wasn't a thing I had heard before as a Cruise care option... sorry I ruffled your feathers there :rolleyes:....

It is a chat board isn't it....:cool:

Edit

Now I am really confused... (sorry Gonzo....) didn't the OP say:

"my SO had to cancel a week before the cruise because of a work emergency. I went on the cruise without him"

Cancel for any reason? Does it cover the person who's plans just changed because of work? It seems to imply that had the OP NOT gone she/he may have been up to 75% insured...

Anyone want to take a chance on this

Actually I did think that the plan covered canceling a cruise because of work. We just bought the insurance with X and double checked prior to buying.

We always fear layoffs, so that is the question I asked. She said that you can cancel for any reason and they will give you a credit towards your next cruise.

Actually I did think that the plan covered canceling a cruise because of work. We just bought the insurance with X and double checked prior to buying.

We always fear layoffs, so that is the question I asked. She said that you can cancel for any reason and they will give you a credit towards your next cruise.

How much does it cost?

Sorry but I have never looked into anything other then the year round travel health/lose/theft insurance we have.

So if I took this insurance could I cancell a few days before my cruise if I decided I didn't want to chance a hurricane?

It depends on how much your cruise costs.

But in the past it was about the same as the other policies, so we just usually do it with X for the cancellation policy.

Interesting.... so for a Bermuda cruise of $ 2500.00 I could insure for a couple of hundred bucks and cancel for any reason...

What's the latest for a no show at sail-away to give notice.... I am just asking because I have never thought about it until this thread.

How much does it cost? ...

Prices and details are on the the link in my post above (post #6).

In many cases the independant policies offer better coverage with higher limits at a lower cost. But "cancel for any reason" is an exception, Celebrity's coverage in this one area is hard to beat because they just give you a 75% cruise credit so their cost is lower than an independent policy would be. We've bought the Celebrity policy on several cruises where were were concerned about a contingency that wouldn't otherwise be covered.

Interesting.... so for a Bermuda cruise of $ 2500.00 I could insure for a couple of hundred bucks and cancel for any reason...

What's the latest for a no show at sail-away to give notice.... I am just asking because I have never thought about it until this thread.

Good question. I'd give X a call, they will let you know.

Good question. I'd give X a call, they will let you know.

Actually - X does not have the final say on this and I wouldn't trust what they say. The policy is underwritten by an insurance company and notice and claims must be made in accordance with the terms of the written policy. Celebrity customer service might have an answer but if it conflicts with the written policy guess what.... I'd trust only what is in writing. There is a written document on Celebrity's web site which contains the plan terms and in it it does not address time, but only says to notify them "immediately" - see "Claims Procedure" paragraph 1 on page 6 of http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/en_US/pdf/insurance/DofC%20CEL%20060607.pdf

I think if you need an answer the best place to call would be the insurance company at the number in the Cruise Care brochure.

The final terms will be included in your cruise docs. In fact if you have still have cruise docs from a recent cruise then it may have the terms in it even if you didn't purchase the policy.

From a very quick read it seems like the deadline would be anytime before the cruise sails. Its hard to imagine a situation where you need to cancel where you wouldn't know this several hours or part of a day before the cruise at a minimum.

I got the wording wrong on the original post; it's UP TO 75%, not 80% and maybe not even 75%. Anyway, I'm going to call and find out how long the claim takes to process.

I didn't think it would apply in this situation, but when I called CS to cancel and get his pre-paid tips and Normandie refunded, the rep mentioned the Cancel Any Reason and encouraged me to make the claim.

SPECIAL CRUISECARE CRUISE VACATION CANCELLATION ENHANCEMENT

CRUISECARE “ANY REASON” CRUISE CREDITS……Up To 75% of the non-refundable

pre-paid Cruise Vacation Cost

Provided EXCLUSIVELY by Celebrity Cruises

In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is

otherwise restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased CruiseCare, Celebrity

Cruises will provide you a cruise credit equal to 75% of the non-refundable value of your Cruise Vacation

prepaid to Celebrity Cruises, for your use toward a future cruise. This additional enhancement is offered

exclusively by Celebrity Cruises as a special service to guests that purchase this cruise ticket

Cancellation Penalty Waiver Addendum. Certain restrictions on the use of these cruise credits (such as

blackout periods) may apply. Credits are valid for one year from issue date, are not transferable, and

have no cash value. To be eligible for credits, notification of cancellation must be given to Celebrity

Cruises prior to the ship’s departure. Once you’ve cancelled with Celebrity Cruises, please contact the

CruiseCare Help Line at 1-800-797-4516 regarding cruise credits.

One other caution about Celebrity or most any other cruise line insurance. Medical evacuation can be very expensive especially from distant parts of the world. Celebrity insurance has limit in the $20,000 range with evacuation to nearest appropriate medical facility. For S.A. cruise, for example evacuation back to U. S.. can run in the $100,000 range and one would want to be evacuated to home town, not to Miami, for example.

I just used the Celebrity Cruisecare cancel for any reason clause. Because of work, I had to cancel the Constellation TA at the last minute. Although there was a learning curve for all involved, I must say it worked really well.

Compared to other policies, Cruisecare is the most generous of the cancel for any reason plans, in that it offers a 75% future cruise credit, compared to, say, 40-50% cash offered by other plans. This benefit is in addition to fully reimbursable reasons for canceling. The fees and taxes were refunded to my credit card. Some plans offer a work-related clause, but the policies costs more, reimburse less, and still do not include cancel for any reason.

The process, once deciphered, was pretty painless. Neither our travel agent, nor his Celebrity connections knew what, exactly, to do. It took a week of calls before we found out the correct route to claims. Once connected to a very professional and thick-skinned claims representative, the process only took one week. The representative called me with certificate numbers to provide Celebrity. Celebrity said they had no idea what those numbers meant. Two days later, I received a letter from Celebrity with those exact certificate numbers.

The certificates are very specific; wholly inflexible. Once applied, it cannot be cancelled for any reason. I assume that is why the credit cannot be used as a deposit.

But to answer your question, no, it took much less than six weeks.

TIA

• 10 months later...

Archived