Duty charges for brining back extra duty-free liqueur

ottmar

We are on the Star this Sunday and would like to bring back one or two extra bottles of duty-free liqueur for Christmas presents.

I will have to pay some import duty on the extras, but I don't know how much and how it works.

Will I have to unpack my suitcase for inspection and will someone show up to collect x-amount of dollars and will they bring change for larger bill or accept credit cards?

Any info would be helpful.

...Ott

I don't know the duty free answer. However, if you are flying, don't forget the need to pack the liquor in checked baggage. Also, opinion, I have yet to see any type liquor enough cheaper, I say again enough cheaper, at the various port stops or on the ships to make the hassle of carring it back home worth while. If you have a big chain type liquor store available in the US, I've found their prices on anything I'm interested in to be close enough to duty free or port prices. An exception for me has been getting brands I can't get at home. A couple of tequilas and Tortuga Rum being examples.

Generally you are allowed to bring back 1 liter per person over 21 in your party and you pay a 3% duty on anything over and above that, plus internal revenue tax (not sure of that rate). You would declare your purchases on the Customs form and they would calculate the duty from that. They take cash and check. There are of course many exceptions based on where you are going, etc. www.cbp.gov is the place to go.

I don't know the duty free answer. However, if you are flying, don't forget the need to pack the liquor in checked baggage. Also, opinion, I have yet to see any type liquor enough cheaper, I say again enough cheaper, at the various port stops or on the ships to make the hassle of carring it back home worth while. .

I use Cointreau for some of my baking and sweet crepes and a liter bottle of it here in Ohio is $45. Last year's cruise I bought two bottles of it in the Cayman Islands for $19 each, less than half price. It is worthwhile for me.

I've only been on one cruise (going on my second in January), but I can tell you my experience. We were on a Carnival 8 day cruise and I bought 2 bottles of local wine in Belize (1L each). My DH for some reason HAD to buy a bottle of Crown Royal, it was 3L and in itself exceeded the limit for the 2 of us. We listed everything on the declaration form they gave us. When we went through customs they asked the standard "anything to declare?" We pointed out the extra liquor and he just rolled his eyes at us and shooed us away. The only reason I could think was that things were busy and they just didn't feel like dealing with it. I'm not saying that this is standard, we may have just gotten lucky that day!

You did the right thing in writing the excess down on your customs forms and answering truthfully when asked. It is up to the whim of the CBP officer if they will ask for duty/tax payment. Better to be upfront and be surprised that you get through than to "forget" to list it and have it discovered...

You did the right thing in writing the excess down on your customs forms and answering truthfully when asked. It is up to the whim of the CBP officer if they will ask for duty/tax payment. Better to be upfront and be surprised that you get through than to "forget" to list it and have it discovered...

I always put the excess on the form and once in 30 times have I been asked to pay the duty that totaled 12.36 :eek: I have a very good friend that works for Imagration and Boarder Patrol. He worked the airports and now the port. The unofficial rule is if the duty is less then $50 it is not worth collecting. Cost more to process the paper work then it is worth.

Now if you bring large quantities expect to pay. I saw a guy getting of the ship one time with 4 cases of rum. He paid.

Archived