Everything Jewel Of The Seas Thread

I have been in the Royal Suite twice VISITING people not staying so can see if I can help with a question.

Yes Lattitudes has snacks in the case just ask for them you don't have to buy anything....if you want a cookie just say "want a cookie"! Nice when you are on a lower deck than the Windjammer area to pick up a snack.

If you haven't been on the Jewel, the Schooner bar has some great windows to sit and look at the world go by.

Lou

Just returned from a five night and will chime in on some helpful tips. Port of Tampa is one of our favorites, and is very quick, Valet for 5 nights is $95 and well worth the difference than self park, not that self park is far, but hey your on vacation so enjoy! Just pull past the cabs and ask the person in the center lane and they will tell you where to go. Porters arew there to take your checked bags and off you ggo to level two, have your sea pass, passport, and license ready as once you get to level two they will ask at a couple locations to see it. There are plenty of agents for check in and if your eligable priority checkin is the very last row (furthest) and we where on the ship in 15 minutes from the time we hit the curb. Wind jammer was up and running and everything we tried was very good and well layed out stations, outside seating is past all the food, and there are waiters out there for drinks etc. The pool bar, and sky bars where open and very friendly bartenders. Saterooms where open at 1pm sharp and much to our suprise our luggage was already waiting. Our sons seapass would not open the door so I had to take him down to GR to try and get one. They claimed the machine wasn't working but to come back in 30 minutes, after 3 more trips, and 4 hours later that was handled. MTD was booked solid, so we chose the earlly seating and asked for a table for 4, unfortunatly we didnt get that and where sat at a table for 6 and they shoved a seventh person in. Not a huge deal to us, however our assistant waiter had no place to be serving food or drinks, our appetizers where on the table before our other drinks such as coffe, or tea. My DH asked for a wine menu, and never recived that. Our drinks came just before our dinner, the food was cool from the slow service. The next day we and our table mates spoke to the matre'd, that evening our headwaiter helped until our drink order was taken and then vanished, so we opted to do chops, and Portofino's the rest of the sailing. Seaview Cafe hours are kinda weird its open from 2pm-6, and again from 9 pm thru 12 pm.WJ food for lunch was good and we never tried the MDR for breakfast or lunch. Night two is formal night, with filet of beef being the main entree. The weather turned bad that evening and we had a cross wind of 50-65 mph so the ship moved arround pretty good, and continued to be very windy on our Cozumel day, so most boat related excursions where canceled, and definatly was no beach day. That evening was the midnight buffet and it did go on as normal but it was still windy and chilly. The next day was Costa Maya and the weather god gave us a very nice sun filled day. The evening was lobster tail, and seafood plater. The shows and entertainment where good and the cruise director did a great job of trying to keep everyone involved. Overal it was a good cruise, except the dinning option which it seamed the early seating may have been over booked, and nothing we have ever expirienced before. We have three more sailing on the jewel and intend to have a great time. I'll be happy to answer any specific questions. :)

P.S. you do change your time to CST the night before Cozumel and back the night you leave Costa Maya

If you haven't been on the Jewel, the Schooner bar has some great windows to sit and look at the world go by.

Lou

The Schooner Bar is always a fav of mine at night but only if its non-smoking. Is it on the Jewel?

Thanks!

Cathy

You mentioned that when checking in you had to have your Sea Pass, Pass Port and license. I knew about Sea Pass and Pass Port. But, didn't know you had to show your driver's license. Please verify that. And, I think you have to show the credit card you had registered with them.

Just got off the Jewel yesterday....for those of you who are cruising on her later......you will LOVE it! Cannot think of one single negative thing to say about the ship, the cruise, the food, the staff....all good! Embarking and disembarking were very smooth and organized. Rooms were ready by 1:00. Menus in the MDR were all outstanding....a variety of choices to make even the pickiest eater happy. Ship is beautifully decorated for the holidays. Someone in our group plans to post the 5 day compass, along with menus...so keep watching for it. In Cozumel, the east side is spectacular - got tons of post-card worthy pics. Lots of beach bars/restaurants with chairs and umbrellas up and down the Malecon in Costa Maya......quick $2-3 taxi ride to get there. Inexpensive massages along the beach were plentiful in Costa Maya.

......when your day to board the Jewel comes, enjoy!!

You mentioned that when checking in you had to have your Sea Pass, Pass Port and license. I knew about Sea Pass and Pass Port. But, didn't know you had to show your driver's license. Please verify that. And, I think you have to show the credit card you had registered with them.

You don't need to show your driver's license (unless you are traveling without a passport) at check in. What you need at check in is just a credit card (if you are paying for your onboard expenses with one and not just planning on settling your account with cash), Set sail pass, and passport (or driver's license and certified birth certificate.

In ports, you may want to use your driver's license as your photo id at the port's checkpoint when you return to the ship.

So did I see that Clo O'Connor is the CD? Do you think she'll still be on when I sail in Mid February? One of my favorite Cruise stories was when Clo was making mid-day annoncements and declared, "It's another beautiful day on the Jewel of the Sleeze! You could hear her voice just crack when she realized what she'd just said.

When we last sailed Jewel, four years ago, they made crepes in the Solarium Cafe, late at night, but I have heard that they no longer do that. :confused:

Has anybody done the Dolphin Encounter at Costa Maya? I tried to ask this on the Ports of Call board, but it doesn't seem like that board gets much traffic.

Carly B replaced Clo and was CD on some of the NE/Canada sailings and on the repositioning cruise from Boston. I'm not sure if she is still there but perhaps someone can report whether or not Clo has returned, Carly is still onboard, or another CD is in place.

Crepes have been absent from the Solarium for a few years, unfortunately.:(

Jewel was wonderful last week. Not sure about the rest of the ship, but Grand Suite 1600 had flat screen tv. Seaview cafe has sandwiches that aren't available in the windjammer, and crispy onion rings like at Johnny Rocket's, but they are free! Wireless internet was very sporadic, but the internet stations around the ship were working. Staff around the ship were consistantly cheerful and helpful. We really enjoyed the Jewel of the Seas.

How did you like GS 1600?

Was there noise from above?

Do you have any pictures of this suite and it's balcony?

We liked 1600 very much! I posted a few pictures of the balcony over on the other thread where we were talking about it before we left, but it's probably buried by now, so I'll repost them for you on this thread, hopefully later today. :) The balcony was large, and had 2 loungers, 3 chairs and a bigger table than you usually see on a balcony. It was wonderful, and the room steward will remove some of the furniture for you if you don't need it all, but it wasn't a problem for us. I spend a lot of time reading on the balcony during the day, and you could hear silverware clattering in the windjammer, and some conversation if voices are raised, but only during breakfast and lunch. You could only see other neighbors if standing at the rail, just like in other balconies. The room seemed larger than the other Grand Suites we've sailed in, there was even an extra arm chair, for a total of three. The bar was up against the wall, adding to the feeling of spaciousness, and there was a flat screen tv with dvd player. Overall, a very nice suite. It is quite a walk from the elevators, but we didn't mind it at all. I'll try to post some pictures later. Enjoy your cruise!

We liked 1600 very much! I posted a few pictures of the balcony over on the other thread where we were talking about it before we left, but it's probably buried by now, so I'll repost them for you on this thread, hopefully later today. :) The balcony was large, and had 2 loungers, 3 chairs and a bigger table than you usually see on a balcony. It was wonderful, and the room steward will remove some of the furniture for you if you don't need it all, but it wasn't a problem for us. I spend a lot of time reading on the balcony during the day, and you could hear silverware clattering in the windjammer, and some conversation if voices are raised, but only during breakfast and lunch. You could only see other neighbors if standing at the rail, just like in other balconies. The room seemed larger than the other Grand Suites we've sailed in, there was even an extra arm chair, for a total of three. The bar was up against the wall, adding to the feeling of spaciousness, and there was a flat screen tv with dvd player. Overall, a very nice suite. It is quite a walk from the elevators, but we didn't mind it at all. I'll try to post some pictures later. Enjoy your cruise!
Thank you very much. I'm glad that you enjoyed your cruise. This is our anniversary cruise and I am feeling a little antsy about GS1600. We will be spending alot of time in our cabin and I don't want any mood breakers.

Just off a delightful 5 day Western Caribbean on the Jewel. We tried an aft cabin for the first time...fabulous. However, if you go to bed early, I don't recommend the aft cabins on deck 7 (we were in 7172), they are just above the Safari Club and the bass from the music is pretty loud in the room. Most nights we stayed up past any events in the Safari Club, but on night 2, we were tired and went to bed at 11:30...the music from Karaoke kept us awake until 1:00 A.M.

What kind of venue is the Game Reserves on deck 6 aft? Would this impact cabins above with noise?

The Game Reserves has a few televisions and the leveling pool tables, no events. I would guess that rooms directly above the Game Reserves would be pretty quiet unless music from the nearby Safari Club or Schooner Bar can be heard. Perhaps someone who has been in rooms 7652, 7654, or 7656 can chime in?

Has anyone done the Jewel in Scandinavia? What's it like? Is the food different since it leaves from europe? I haven't done a cruise yet that hasn't left from the US.

We sailed on the Jewel in July from England to the Baltic 12 day. The food was normal cruise food. No complaints...well maybe 1, the hamburgers are always well done. Loved the cruise and so did our 14yr old son.

Do you have any specific questions?

Just returned from a five night and will chime in on some helpful tips. Port of Tampa is one of our favorites, and is very quick, Valet for 5 nights is $95 and well worth the difference than self park, not that self park is far, but hey your on vacation so enjoy!

Just pull past the cabs and ask the person in the center lane and they will tell you where to go. Porters are there to take your checked bags and off you go to level two, have your sea pass, passport, and license ready as once you get to level two they will ask at a couple locations to see it. There are plenty of agents for check in and if your eligable priority checkin is the very last row (furthest) and we where on the ship in 15 minutes from the time we hit the curb.

Wind jammer was up and running and everything we tried was very good and well layed out stations, outside seating is past all the food, and there are waiters out there for drinks etc. The pool bar, and sky bars were open and very friendly bartenders.

Staterooms where open at 1pm sharp and much to our suprise our luggage was already waiting. Our sons seapass would not open the door so I had to take him down to GR to try and get one. They claimed the machine wasn't working but to come back in 30 minutes, after 3 more trips, and 4 hours later that was handled.

MTD was booked solid, so we chose the earlly seating and asked for a table for 4, unfortunatly we didnt get that and were sat at a table for 6 and they shoved a seventh person in. Not a huge deal to us, however our assistant waiter had no place to be serving food or drinks, our appetizers where on the table before our other drinks such as coffe, or tea. My DH asked for a wine menu, and never recived that. Our drinks came just before our dinner, the food was cool from the slow service. The next day we and our table mates spoke to the matre'd, that evening our headwaiter helped until our drink order was taken and then vanished, so we opted to do chops, and Portofino's the rest of the sailing.

Seaview Cafe hours are kinda weird its open from 2pm-6, and again from 9 pm thru 12 pm. WJ food for lunch was good and we never tried the MDR for breakfast or lunch. Night two is formal night, with filet of beef being the main entree. The weather turned bad that evening and we had a cross wind of 50-65 mph so the ship moved around pretty good, and continued to be very windy on our Cozumel day, so most boat related excursions where canceled, and definately was no beach day. That evening was the midnight buffet and it did go on as normal but it was still windy and chilly.

The next day was Costa Maya and the weather god gave us a very nice sun filled day. The evening was lobster tail, and seafood platter.

The shows and entertainment were good and the cruise director did a great job of trying to keep everyone involved. Overall it was a good cruise, except the dinning option which it seamed the early seating may have been over booked, and nothing we have ever expirienced before. We have three more sailing on the Jewel and intend to have a great time. I'll be happy to answer any specific questions. :)

P.S. you do change your time to CST the night before Cozumel and back the night you leave Costa Maya

Easier for me to read. No disrespect intended. Sounds like you had a great cruise. We love the Jewel!

Archived