Everything Jewel Of The Seas Thread

Can I keep my one big suitcase w/me until my assigned departure time or do I have to utlize the early departure thingy? Taking just one suitcase (although not exactly carry-on size :rolleyes:) makes it difficult to put my luggage out the night before.

Thanks!

Cathy

2) Seaview is somewhere different to go and has such things as Chicken Fingers and Wings, Tuna Melt Sandwiches, Reuben Sandwiches, Cuban Sandwiches, burgers, dogs, and such...

nice to go there when been at the pool and want to go grab lunch...don't forget the Solarium Cafe has food also at lunch times and other times

Lou

Glad to see they still have the SeaView Cafe , we missed it on our Radiance cruise to Sydney. Speaking of the Radiance we are also book on it May 6th 2013.

We also enjoy the Solarium Cafe

Seaview Cafe food is cooked to order. On BBQ day at poolside people stood on line for hamburger that were grilled but the put in warming trays. I went to the Seaview ordered a burger and onion rings and they came our piping hot. No lines. Just a pleasant time enjoying the view.

Sounds great, can't wait to give it a try!! I am also looking forward to the outside area of the Windjammer that someone mentioned.

Just looking over the deck plans so I will know how to get around, and I am wondering which deck is the MTD dining room? Do you check in on 4 or 5?

Also looking over the Compasses- does anyone dress up for 70 s night? My 17 yo thinks it would be fun, she has a salvation army vintage 70s jump suit she is dying to wear! TIA,

Just looking over the deck plans so I will know how to get around, and I am wondering which deck is the MTD dining room? Do you check in on 4 or 5?

Also looking over the Compasses- does anyone dress up for 70 s night? My 17 yo thinks it would be fun, she has a salvation army vintage 70s jump suit she is dying to wear! TIA,

MTD is on deck 5 port side.

Can either of you please confirm if there is a second bathroom with a shower off the entry hall of the Royal Suite like on Freedom class. Also are both TV's in the LR and BR flat panel...is the outdoor furniture the newer wicker look or do they have teak...what is the overall condition of the cabin...is it looking dated or fresh....THANKS:)

I haven't seen the RS on Jewel, but on Serenade (her twin sister), there is a a second bathroom with shower, so I imagine that Jewel has the same layout. Can't help you with your other questions.

Your daughter will be right at home on 70's night if she dresses up. All of the cruise staff dresses up in 70's attire and it is great fun. Wonderful party in the centrum. One of my favorite nights!

I just finished a B2B on JOS.

In a quick review, the staff is very good from room attendants to bar staff and cruise director staff.

Food in the Windjammer was typical. No complaints. The one thing I miss that the Radiance had was the build your own pizza every night. The Jewel does not do that.

I ate at Chops twice. The first night our steaks were over cooked and tasted like they had been soaked in salt for days. Our waiter brought them back to the cook and they all agreed that the steaks were terrible. The second try and Chops was perfect. We were very specific about our cooking likes and the salt issue.

We also ate at Portifino's twice. The Veal Ossobucka (sorry for bad spelling) is to die for. I could have ate that everyday. Service was great on the first experience. The second time it was terrible. After sitting for one hour without any salads or appetizers we spoke to Kumar, the head of Portifino's. He didn't know what was going on but sent out Champaign to us which we declined because no one at our table likes Champaign. A few minutes later he came and told us that they were having issues in the kitchen. The dinner took 3 hours, but overall I can only compain about the service. The food was great.

Seaview Cafe- we tried it 3 times. I used to love it on the Radiance. In my opinion they should shut this one down. Each time was terrible. We only went back because we thought if we ordered something else it would be better. First time tried the grouper ceasar salad. I am not sure what the little disfigured lump on it was, but they said it was grouper. It didn't even look or taste like fish to me. Many other's complained about the fish also. Tried the clam chowder, not too bad on the first day. A little watery, but OK. Next time tried the chowder again and it looked like the oatmeal from breakfast. Third time, ordered a cheeseburger. I think the burger cooked for at least an hour. It was burned to the point that the meat crunched when you bit it. We took one bite and left for the Windjammer after that.

Our Concierge addressed the Seaview Cafe issues with the manager because there were so many of the Diamond Plus/ Pinnacle members complaining.

Overall, the ship is great and can't wait to go on it again.

Our room is toward the back of the Jewel. I notice the only elvators are mid-ship and forward. Are there any stairs to take in the back of the ship? We're on deck 9, so I don't mind taking stairs.

There are stairs towards the back but you can only use them in emergencies.

I just finished a B2B on JOS.

In a quick review, the staff is very good from room attendants to bar staff and cruise director staff.

Food in the Windjammer was typical. No complaints. The one thing I miss that the Radiance had was the build your own pizza every night. The Jewel does not do that.

I ate at Chops twice. The first night our steaks were over cooked and tasted like they had been soaked in salt for days. Our waiter brought them back to the cook and they all agreed that the steaks were terrible. The second try and Chops was perfect. We were very specific about our cooking likes and the salt issue.

We also ate at Portifino's twice. The Veal Ossobucka (sorry for bad spelling) is to die for. I could have ate that everyday. Service was great on the first experience. The second time it was terrible. After sitting for one hour without any salads or appetizers we spoke to Kumar, the head of Portifino's. He didn't know what was going on but sent out Champaign to us which we declined because no one at our table likes Champaign. A few minutes later he came and told us that they were having issues in the kitchen. The dinner took 3 hours, but overall I can only compain about the service. The food was great.

Seaview Cafe- we tried it 3 times. I used to love it on the Radiance. In my opinion they should shut this one down. Each time was terrible. We only went back because we thought if we ordered something else it would be better. First time tried the grouper ceasar salad. I am not sure what the little disfigured lump on it was, but they said it was grouper. It didn't even look or taste like fish to me. Many other's complained about the fish also. Tried the clam chowder, not too bad on the first day. A little watery, but OK. Next time tried the chowder again and it looked like the oatmeal from breakfast. Third time, ordered a cheeseburger. I think the burger cooked for at least an hour. It was burned to the point that the meat crunched when you bit it. We took one bite and left for the Windjammer after that.

Our Concierge addressed the Seaview Cafe issues with the manager because there were so many of the Diamond Plus/ Pinnacle members complaining.

Overall, the ship is great and can't wait to go on it again.

I was recently on the Jewel (12/10-15) and I'd have to say that the Windjammer was typical in the sense that the food lacked any kind of flavor. It was pretty awful. As for the Seaview Cafe, I went only once but I was very happy with my order. The Cuban sandwich was delicious. The toasted roll was so crispy and yet so light. The buffalo wings were more like fried chicken drumettes but they were excellent. Not greasy at all and the breading was so crunchy. The onion rings were also great. My only complaint is that the only free beverage available there is water.

I was recently on the Jewel (12/10-15) and I'd have to say that the Windjammer was typical in the sense that the food lacked any kind of flavor. It was pretty awful. As for the Seaview Cafe, I went only once but I was very happy with my order. The Cuban sandwich was delicious. The toasted roll was so crispy and yet so light. The buffalo wings were more like fried chicken drumettes but they were excellent. Not greasy at all and the breading was so crunchy. The onion rings were also great. My only complaint is that the only free beverage available there is water.

Although I did find the WJ food to be good I agree 100% with you on Seaview. IMO, the best kept secret on the ship. It's rarely crowded or busy.

I was recently on the Jewel (12/10-15) and I'd have to say that the Windjammer was typical in the sense that the food lacked any kind of flavor. It was pretty awful.

I have to disagree with this. Having been on this ship 4 times this year and having most lunches in the WJ while on board we liked the availability and diversity of good to excellent lunches. Lunch in the MDR is excellent on sea days. :D:D

I have to disagree with this. Having been on this ship 4 times this year and having most lunches in the WJ while on board we liked the availability and diversity of good to excellent lunches. Lunch in the MDR is excellent on sea days. :D:D

Yes, lunch in the mdr is great. The two best desserts offered by RCCL are served at lunch in the mdr; the Viennese chocolate cake (usually a blackboard special and not on the regular menu) and the Gianduia cake (also a chocolate cake). Both are exquisite. But I still say the WJ is awful. A lot of choices of pretty blah food. Room service is even a better option.

Your daughter will be right at home on 70's night if she dresses up. All of the cruise staff dresses up in 70's attire and it is great fun. Wonderful party in the centrum. One of my favorite nights!

Thanks!! She's a drama queen anyway, so I doubt she'd feel bad about doing it. I was just making sure whether we should bother with the "costume", as we are trying to keep the luggage down on a 5 night and not have to pay for a bag!

Im looking forward to it too, on the ships with Promenades, I find the 70's party turns into everyone just watching the people on the "bridge" over the promanade...Im hoping the the Centrum creates more of a dance party atmosphere:)

I was wondering if anyone recently off the JOS can tell me if they had a late night deck party and buffet? I was on the Monarch last year and they had this with a guy grilling the best meat I have ever had on a cruise ship. I sure hope this is a RC standard for all there ships because I love the night time deck parties and the bbq was awesome. Any info would be great.

We sailed on Jewel four times this year and have to disagree with you as to food served in the Windjammer. I wouldn't describe the food as "awful" and some of it tasted quite good, but people's tastes are different and often quite subjective. We did enjoy the Seaview as well. :)

We sailed on Jewel four times this year and have to disagree with you as to food served in the Windjammer. I wouldn't describe the food as "awful" and some of it tasted quite good, but people's tastes are different and often quite subjective. We did enjoy the Seaview as well. :)

Seems like I am agreeing with you a lot today.;) We also sailed on the Jewel four times this year and we found the food in the WJ to be very good for the most part. Perhaps there were a few things that might be described as awful, but DH and I were always able to put together a tasty meal. Some things like the french fries, raisin bread and coconut cookies were down right excellent IMO. But as you said, food is subjective and tastes do differ. :)

Archived