First Cruise?

Mine was a South Pacific cruise onboard the original Oriana in 1983. I was only very young and I still remember running around the swimming pool at a resort hotel in Suva, slipping over and hurting myself. :( Apart from that, it was a great holiday! :)

Hi, mine was Passenger/Cargo ship "Australasia" in the 60's. (as a young 20year old)

started my love of the sea and cruising...

back in those days, entertainment was playing the piano, singing along. small pool to swim in, spending days in different ports, not just hours.

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

Mine was a Captain Cook Cruise in Fiji in 1991 when we sailed through the eye of a cyclone.There was no dinner served that night because the head chef had his head in a bucket :eek: You know it's rough when even the crew are sick.

It was a rocky way to start a honeymoon but we're still married so perhaps it was good luck!

Mine was on Celebrity Infinty to Alaska in 2004, I didn't really want to go, but it was my mum's dream to do a cruise and she always wanted to do Alaska. Was brilliant, though I don't think Alaska was the right place to do a first cruise. :rolleyes:

I loved it and have done another 7 cruises since to various parts of the world.

I can blame my mum for getting me into cruising!!:p

Number 9 is coming up in March on the Radiance. Cant wait.:)

First cruise, that i paid for out of my 12month no smoking savings, was Fair Princess - late September 1999.....i booked us a suite...cost a fortune when fellow passengers asked what deck we were on we were too embarassed to tell them:o:o........first 3 days out of Sydney we had 50knt winds and 5 mtr seas i was sooooooooooooooooooooo seasick but it didn't put me off......now wracked up 18 paid for by me cruises cheers Shiona

My first cruise was our migration from Britain to Aus in 1959. Yes 10 pound migrants :D

I was only 8 but I have some wonderful memories of Ship life for 4 weeks.great food great entertainment etc. My next cruise wasn't until 2000 and now you can't stop us:p

My first cruise was our migration from Britain to Aus in 1959. Yes 10 pound migrants :D

I was only 8 but I have some wonderful memories of Ship life for 4 weeks.great food great entertainment etc. My next cruise wasn't until 2000 and now you can't stop us:p

Harry was another 10 pound pom from 1960 - one of the last to be permitted to travel by sea - in his case a cargo boat that took a few passengers. Our first cruise together was on Yasawa Princess in 1985-6. The addiction began with our first cruise in 2004 on Pacific Princess - still my favourite. Love that aft outdoor dining area and the feeling of being at sea.

Colleen

Fedor Shalyapin in February 1978. 16 night cruise to South Pacific and New Zealand. I was 18 or 19?? So long ago LOL. We sailed straight out into a cyclone and the seas were massive and it took 3 days to get to Noumea. The first night there were about 50 survivors standing, the rest were seasick and never surfaced until we reached Noumea. Lots of sick crew also. Those 50 of us had a ball!!!! They put us all together at dinner. We didn't want to split up again when the rest of the sickies surfaced. But we had to. That made us sad as new friendships had already been forged. I still have my ship photo with the captain on formal night. Nawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Those were the days when you took your duty free on and drank it straight out of the bottle :p Needless to say much of it is a blurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

My first cruise was on the Fairstar 1988 - 28 days Oriental cruise, Singapore back to Sydney. Share quad with a friend and two strangers! Never thought sharing with 2 strangers would be a problem - and it wasn't.

Thinking back, it never crossed my mind that 28 days would be too long :rolleyes: but it wasn't at all. Did a similar 29 day cruise 12 months later - now that was a ball! D Deck (stairs down the last 2 decks - no lift) quad share with 3 ladies I met the year before. We had sooo much fun :D:D

My first cruise was on the Fairstar 1988 - 28 days Oriental cruise, Singapore back to Sydney. Share quad with a friend and two strangers! Never thought sharing with 2 strangers would be a problem - and it wasn't.

Thinking back, it never crossed my mind that 28 days would be too long :rolleyes: but it wasn't at all. Did a similar 29 day cruise 12 months later - now that was a ball! D Deck (stairs down the last 2 decks - no lift) quad share with 3 ladies I met the year before. We had sooo much fun :D:D

Wow! We were on that Fairstar cruise to Japan in 1988. :) Our first cruise was on Fairstar in 1984.

Wow! We were on that Fairstar cruise to Japan in 1988. :) Our first cruise was on Fairstar in 1984.

Double Wow - first person I have come across that was also on that trip!! Wonder if our paths crossed?? I must admit I remember more from the second cruise than the first, possibly as it was more memorable! Highlights of the 1988 cruise would have been, Singapore, Kobe, Rabaul and Cairns. We shared a table of four - us two girls and two guys :rolleyes: I am sure the cruise line was trying to matchmake!!!! Remember the cheap as drinks - $2 spirits and beers. Have matching set of shot glasses somewhere at home (smuggled off :p)

Double Wow - first person I have come across that was also on that trip!! Wonder if our paths crossed?? I must admit I remember more from the second cruise than the first, possibly as it was more memorable! Highlights of the 1988 cruise would have been, Singapore, Kobe, Rabaul and Cairns. We shared a table of four - us two girls and two guys :rolleyes: I am sure the cruise line was trying to matchmake!!!! Remember the cheap as drinks - $2 spirits and beers. Have matching set of shot glasses somewhere at home (smuggled off :p)

I'm sure our paths would have crossed.:) We were travelling with our children (there weren't many on that cruise) and my brother. I have so many memories of the cruise - all good.

Highlights - getting around Japan on independent tours using trains and taxis; Hong Kong; Rabaul where we hired a ute for the day and picked up the ship's orchestra at the yacht club on the way back to the ship. I think we had 11 people standing in the back of the ute. Insane! If we hadn't picked them up I think they would still be there. They were so 'happy' they could hardly stand and the yacht club was several kilometres from the wharf and they had no way to get there.

Lovely to meet someone else who was on that cruise. :)

Mine was 1959 on the Strathmore, Tonga and Fiji. My mum hoped I would be seasick the whole time as it was a trial to see if I could handle a trip to Canada by sea. I went in 1960. Left at the age of 20 - on my own. and continued travelling for three years around the world via Canada, England and Europe. Working along the way of course. Yes, the backpacker tribe of the 60s..........I'm still travelling, albeit in a bit more luxury than hitching..........Jan

Quite the late starter here...2006 Pacific Star to Noumea, Lifou etc.

We left from the new Brisbane terminal. Sailaway was my most vivid memory as I'll never forget the sound of the ship's hooter and feeling overwhelmed.

Thanks for the post, Sue. I'm sure we all enjoy going down memory lane.

Archived