Possible shipyard delay

hondorner

Certain on line travel agencies also have the availability on their web sites.

You phrased that very well (i.e. discretely), but in that it is against the rules of Cruise Critic to name those other sites, I thought it best to give the information as it relates to the Oceania Site.

Why frustrate people? :D

Getting back to the original subject in this thread, it was just announced this morning that Corrado Passera, the Italian minister of economic development will meet tonight with Fincantieri and the metalworkers union to discuss the future. No idea yet if this is a good idea, or one that might be productive.

Stay tuned!!

Getting back to the original subject in this thread, it was just announced this morning that Corrado Passera, the Italian minister of economic development will meet tonight with Fincantieri and the metalworkers union to discuss the future. No idea yet if this is a good idea, or one that might be productive.

Stay tuned!!

Thank you, Rickey 88. Please keep us updated! :)

Judy

I posted a question on Oceania's facebook page regarding an update on the status of the Riviera and the shipyard strike. This is their answer: "According to the shipyard, Riviera is on schedule for her maiden voyage, April 24th."

Our traveling companions called Oceania to ask the same thing. They spoke with 2 people and were told by both that they didn't know that there was a strike at the shipyard!!

Perhaps these comments are to keep good public relations and are the answers they are required to give to such inquiries.

The scuttlebut is that the union and yard management were to have a contract meeting on Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012. Oceania has said nothing on the possible cancelations and the TA's I have contacted know nothing either. The final payment dead line for the first cruise is only two weeks off. Is there any solid information yet?

Hbr_Master

The scuttlebut is that the union and yard management were to have a contract meeting on Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012. Oceania has said nothing on the possible cancelations and the TA's I have contacted know nothing either. The final payment dead line for the first cruise is only two weeks off. Is there any solid information yet?

Hbr_Master

Yesterday Passera gave his full backing to Fincantieri, which gave Fiom, the hold-out union fits, and looks as if the stage has been set for further labor unrest. Remember that two unions have agreed to the shipyard's suggestions, but one has not.

Nothing in the government's plan seemed to please the union, and at this point, the future for Genoa, Fincantieri and Italy seems dim.

From AGI News:

Advanced Search

Search

From

calendar.png

To

calendar.png

Column

All Latest News Flash News Italy People Business World Sport

Results

Sestri Ponente Results: found 4 news

I would sail again with Oceania in a heartbeat. I had the pleasure of dealing with an 'O' captain that was as professional and obviously well trained as any. The Marina handled VERY rough water with only some shuddering and shaking that any ship would experience but every crevice and joint stayed as solid as possible.

I understand your apprehension about the shipyard troubles and uncertainy about the upcoming cruise. I'm not an 'O' apologist, just a one time observer. My oh-so-limited experience says there have been people and will be people spending countless hours to make sure that Riviera will be ready to have you sail across the seas. More than likely, you will encounter many many of them while you are onboard as they work feverishly to make those thousands of tiny corrections that you will never see.

Again, my limited experience says that if there is a timeline issue, that it will be dealt with as quickly and as professionally as possible. Again, I understand the basis of your anxiety....but the cruise, as far as I can tell, is not cancelled. And they might have had a few suprises for you as well.

I posted a question on Oceania's facebook page regarding an update on the status of the Riviera and the shipyard strike. This is their answer: "According to the shipyard, Riviera is on schedule for her maiden voyage, April 24th."

Our traveling companions called Oceania to ask the same thing. They spoke with 2 people and were told by both that they didn't know that there was a strike at the shipyard!!

Perhaps these comments are to keep good public relations and are the answers they are required to give to such inquiries.

OR the reservation agents do not keep up with things outside their cubicle

:rolleyes:

Not the 1st res agents have the wrong info

OR the reservation agents do not keep up with things outside their cubicle

:rolleyes:

Not the 1st res agents have the wrong info

You are correct LHT, the reservationists have no idea about any thing going on outside of their taking reservations..

Jancruz1

I also asked Oceania on FB last week if there was any news about the shipyard strike and it's effect on the maiden voyage of the Riviera?

This was the reply they posted:

Oceania Cruises Hello Judy, the shipyard has told us Riviera is on schedule. We will certainly continue to share any updates we receive. January 13 at 2:57pm

Now that this thread has been removed and cleansed of any offensive posts, I wanted to bring it up to the top.

Am curious as to any recent news about the shipyard strike in Italy. I know that Oceania's official statement is that everything is on time for the Riviera on April 24, but I was wondering if there was still a strike? In light of the fact that the final payment on this maiden voyage is due in 5 days, I would hope that they would be informing us if things are delayed.

Also, I noticed that there seems to be a few people who have recently signed up for this cruise. Perhaps they were some of those wait-listed and some folks have cancelled.

Appreciate any new information.

LSOK

Now that this thread has been removed and cleansed of any offensive posts, I wanted to bring it up to the top.

Am curious as to any recent news about the shipyard strike in Italy. I know that Oceania's official statement is that everything is on time for the Riviera on April 24, but I was wondering if there was still a strike? In light of the fact that the final payment on this maiden voyage is due in 5 days, I would hope that they would be informing us if things are delayed.

Also, I noticed that there seems to be a few people who have recently signed up for this cruise. Perhaps they were some of those wait-listed and some folks have cancelled.

Appreciate any new information.

LSOK

At this point there is no additional information..

Jancruz1

I hope all works out for everyone booked on the Riviera's maiden voyage with the ship's construction timelines. I found this from January 20th: http://www.nowpublic.com/world/mass-strike-hits-italy

"In Genoa, Sardinian steel workers joined Genoa shipyard workers in a large demonstration against layoffs. The Fincantieri shipyard has announced its closure after the completion of the current, large cruise ship. Workers have taken the ship as a hostage."

"workers have taken the ship as hostage" Doesn't sound good to me. Final payment due in three days. No cancelation word from O so I guess that I will continue my pre-cruise diet.

Assuming a full refund plus if the cruise is canceled, then the only thing I would have lost is six pounds. Hopefully, I will be seeing everyone on board.

"In Genoa, Sardinian steel workers joined Genoa shipyard workers in a large demonstration against layoffs. The Fincantieri shipyard has announced its closure after the completion of the current, large cruise ship. Workers have taken the ship as a hostage."

So is that the Riviera being held hostage? If so, when will Oceania tell us about it?

So is that the Riviera being held hostage? If so, when will Oceania tell us about it?

What can they tell us right now? except to say that there is controversy over there -which we already know.

The Strike is against Fincantieri, not Oceania, so the Strikers want the Headlines, not the ship.

Even if they only hold the ship up for a few hours, the media will be all over it, and the publicity for their cause is what the Strikers want.

It's a shame really, because this same sort of labor unrest killed the American maritime industry fifty years ago.

014819.jpg

Remember when we had a Merchant Marine?

[quote=JimandStan;What can they tell us right now? except to say that there is controversy over there -which we already know.

The Strike is against Fincantieri, not Oceania, so the Strikers want the Headlines, not the ship.

Even if they only hold the ship up for a few hours, the media will be all over it, and the publicity for their cause is what the Strikers want.

I would think that they know how much work still needs to be done on the Riviera and, if the strike lingers, whether or not it is even possible for it to be completed on time. Also, I would think that it would be easier for Oceania to have some cancellations and fill spaces from the wait list than to rebook or refund money to lots of people. They obviously went through that once before.

As for myself-- we cannot go on a later cruise. We really want to go on this cruise with this itinerary. If this one is cancelled, we would take a refund. I would like to have enough time to plan another trip during the same time period and not have to plan something in 3 or 4 weeks, if that is the notice we get. Luckily we opted for Oceania air arrangements. Also, would they refund our travel insurance cost since we will be purchasing insurance tomorrow, the day before the final payment is due?

Here is a fresh new article (in Italian) from Genoa on the labor situation: http://www.genova24.it/2012/01/fincantieri-si-al-ribaltamento-a-mare-lavori-entro-il-2012-26829/

From my limited Italian, three things I get from it:

• after the Riviera is finished the shipyard will close permanently
  • the ship is supposed to go to sea trials by mid-month (unclear whether that is mid-February or mid-March)
  • and the most worrisome, a quote from a worker (union?) "La nave Oceania però non esce se non ci saranno proposte delle alternative". With my limited Italian skills, this means "the Oceania ship will not leave unless alternatives are on the table."

I suppose this means alternatives to the future livelihood of the employees who will lose their jobs, and this supports earlier reports that the laborers would hold the ship hostage.

This is ugly. The union and laborers have little to lose, as the shipyard will close and they stand to lose it all anyway. Two extra months of pay until the shipyard closes are insignificant, compared to the looming permanent job losses. So they could indeed push their case very far and hold the ship hostage for a long time.

I am not scheduled to sail until July, and I am somewhat worried. You folks on the maiden voyage with payments due now should be very worried. I am rooting for you (us) and will be monitoring the labor case and this CC thread.

What can they tell us right now? except to say that there is controversy over there -which we already know.

It's a shame really, because this same sort of labor unrest killed the American maritime industry fifty years ago.

014819.jpg

Remember when we had a Merchant Marine?

Not to overthrow the OP but I have to ask JimandStan, is that a picture of the SS Constitution and SS Independence?

Here is a fresh new article (in Italian) from Genoa on the labor situation: http://www.genova24.it/2012/01/fincantieri-si-al-ribaltamento-a-mare-lavori-entro-il-2012-26829/

From my limited Italian, three things I get from it:

• after the Riviera is finished the shipyard will close permanently
  • the ship is supposed to go to sea trials by mid-month (unclear whether that is mid-February or mid-March)
  • and the most worrisome, a quote from a worker (union?) "La nave Oceania però non esce se non ci saranno proposte delle alternative". With my limited Italian skills, this means "the Oceania ship will not leave unless alternatives are on the table."

I suppose this means alternatives to the future livelihood of the employees who will lose their jobs, and this supports earlier reports that the laborers would hold the ship hostage.

This is ugly. The union and laborers have little to lose, as the shipyard will close and they stand to lose it all anyway. Two extra months of pay until the shipyard closes are insignificant, compared to the looming permanent job losses. So they could indeed push their case very far and hold the ship hostage for a long time.

I am not scheduled to sail until July, and I am somewhat worried. You folks on the maiden voyage with payments due now should be very worried. I am rooting for you (us) and will be monitoring the labor case and this CC thread.

I do not propose to know any of the dynamics of this..but can't Fincantieri move the ship to one of their other yards to complete the Riviera? Find an extra berth..give others a chance to work. Why be held hostage by workers who know they will be out of work after the Riviera, why not end the work now..sorry guys..you had your chance for a few more months but looks like we need to move on. Yes I know won't happen..thus we sit and wait, Getting kind of sick of Euro strikes..time to change venues:(

I have to ask JimandStan, is that a picture of the SS Constitution and SS Independence?

014819.jpg

No it isn't. The photograph above is The United States Lines' S.S. United States (at the top) passing her slightly smaller sister the S.S. America in New York Harbor.

The S.S. Independence and S.S. Constitution originally sailed for American Export: 021302.jpg

I do not propose to know any of the dynamics of this..but can't Fincantieri move the ship to one of their other yards to complete the Riviera? Find an extra berth..give others a chance to work. Why be held hostage by workers who know they will be out of work after the Riviera, why not end the work now..sorry guys..you had your chance for a few more months but looks like we need to move on. Yes I know won't happen..thus we sit and wait, Getting kind of sick of Euro strikes..time to change venues:(

By what I know of strikes, it would be difficult for the yard or Oceania to get tugs, pilot, and line handlers to cross picket lines to move the ship.

Jim and Stan, yes, as a cadet back in the early '60s I used to visit the North River piers and attend bon voyage parties aboard the United States, America, Constitution, Independence, Brazil, Argentina, Santa Rosa, Santa Paula, or any of the U.S. flagged ships that happened to be in port over the weekend.

By what I know of strikes, it would be difficult for the yard or Oceania to get tugs, pilot, and line handlers to cross picket lines to move the ship.

Jim and Stan, yes, as a cadet back in the early '60s I used to visit the North River piers and attend bon voyage parties aboard the United States, America, Constitution, Independence, Brazil, Argentina, Santa Rosa, Santa Paula, or any of the U.S. flagged ships that happened to be in port over the weekend.

Those were the days :D

112001.jpg

S.S. United States, S.S. France, Michelangelo, Rafaello, Queen Mary in 1965

113003.jpg

I guess today's kids will remember Miami in the same way

Archived