Martini Tasing

IkeNHermes

I tried to do the Martini tasting on the Sky back in November but not enough people showed up so it was canceled. :mad:

'twas the same disappointment a few weeks ago on that same ship when only two of us passengers showed any interest. Bummer :(

We did a martini tasting on our Pearl to Alaska last May. It was awesome! Our bartender was a barrel of fun and the drinks were probably 2/3 of a regular martini, so a bargain! We also met another couple that we ran onto at about every other drink special we attended, so got to know them and we had a wonderful time. I would highly recommend attending!

Hi all!

Our CC group did a martini tasting on our recent Epic cruise. It was interesting & a lot of fun even for me who isn't really a drinker. I did sip the original/dirty one, ate the apple from the appletini, tried the other one & but downed the whole chocolate love one!;)

I like that NCL provides nibbles with the drinks unlike some other cruise lines.

I would try it again as each bartender would probably do it differently.

~ Jo ~ :)

I totally agree about the nibbles - I meant to buy a bag before I debarted. Loved them on the Epic!

As for the martini tasting ... it was a lot of fun for our CC group too. Armando, on the Epic, is a hoot. I will say that we certainly did NOT have tastings either - these were just slightly smaller than a regular martini. Let's just say that we were all feeling rather happy when all was said and done.

I totally agree about the nibbles - I meant to buy a bag before I debarted. Loved them on the Epic!

As for the martini tasting ... it was a lot of fun for our CC group too. Armando, on the Epic, is a hoot. I will say that we certainly did NOT have tastings either - these were just slightly smaller than a regular martini. Let's just say that we were all feeling rather happy when all was said and done.

Did both of the martini tastings on the Epic 12/17 sailing. Armando is great! I am not a big drinker but love different types of martinis. Each of the 2 tastings featured different martinis (1st had 4; 2nd had 5 for $15). It was a highlight of the trip. Get there about 15 minutes ahead of time so you are able to sit at the bar. It is much more fun.

Hi all!

Our CC group did a martini tasting on our recent Epic cruise. It was interesting & a lot of fun even for me who isn't really a drinker. I did sip the original/dirty one, ate the apple from the appletini, tried the other one & but downed the whole chocolate love one!;)

I like that NCL provides nibbles with the drinks unlike some other cruise lines.

I would try it again as each bartender would probably do it differently.

~ Jo ~ :)

I've done the martini tastings on three different cruises and they're always fun and always different. Each of the bartenders has his own specialties that he's proud of and loves to hear that people like them. The nibbles are something new, though. Glad to hear it. I've always stopped at the buffet for pretzel bread to take to the tastings. That's worked for me.

They say they won't do the tastings unless there are at least 6 or 8 people. On the last day (and third tasting) of a 14-day cruise last summer only three of us showed up. We did manage to talk the bartender into doing the tasting anyway, though. It took a lot of effort because apparently it's against company policy and their supervisors don't like it. My feeling is that they're making money even if only one person shows up for the tasting.

It's easy to get buzzed at the tastings. One woman showed up at a tasting with her sister and her son. Only the son showed up at the next tasting. I asked him where the others were and he said his mother fell in the shower and hurt her arm and was staying away from tastings.

Someone asked about the gratuity, and the answer is that yes, it's added for the tasting. Some of us leave extra to show our appreciation when a tasting is particularly fun--or when a bartender goes out on a limb to do it for only three people. :D

If you're contemplating a tasting, I'd say go ahead. You'll love it. As the alcohol companies love to tell us, drink responsibly. As I'll tell you, at least you don't have to drive home afterwards.

On our last Jade cruise the first sea day martini tasting was cancelled due to lack of numbers. :mad:

On the second sea day they did two - one at 2pm and one at 4.15 pm. :D:D

We did both! Apparently our efforts in the final round of the progressive trivia afterwards caused much amusement! (Our team name was the Martini Monsters BTW!)

We did the Martini tasting on the Gem in August. We had five full size martinis. Included in the five were classic gin and vodka martinis, cosmopolitan, sour apple and chocolate. $15/person...not a weak drink in the five. My husband and I were so trashed at 4:00 in the afternoon we had to take a long nap before dinner. We didn't eat before going as we'd had a late breakfast. So do eat before going. We had done a pub crawl on a previous cruise and thought the drinks wouldn't be that strong. Boy were we wrong! Sharing wouldn't be a bad idea :p

We did martini tastings previously on the Gem and also on the Dream, when it was part of the NCL fleet. We actually had Armando (who I just read is on the Epic) as our bartender on the Gem. He was awesome and also made a layered martini that he called "The Sexy Alligator". On both cruises we definitely got a great value from the tastings. Its been a few years, but I think I remember having 5 nice sized drinks on both ships. We are booked on an April cruise on the Gem and I'm sure we will do the martini clinics again. They were fun and since they're on a sea day, you can take things nice and slow afterwards.:)

I did 2 tastings on the Epic last year. The first had 5 drinks, 1 regular vodka, 1 regular gin, and 3 flavored. The second had 4 drinks, don't remember how they broke down. They were pretty close to full size. Friends finished my unflavored ones the first time and I was still pretty trashed when I stood up.

Archived