Martini Tasing

IkeNHermes

I keep reading that the martini tasting is a must but there is little to no information about specifics. I've always wanted to try a martini but I've been afraid I won't like it so I think the tasting is worth a try. What I would like to know is :

1. How many varieties are sampled? (I know there are sometimes several tastings depending on the length of the cruise. I want to know about true martinis, not fru fru drinks in a martini glass)

2. How large are the samples? Shot glass size;), half size:), full size:D :eek:

3. Is there discussion or is it more "here try this"?

I keep reading that the martini tasting is a must but there is little to no information about specifics. I've always wanted to try a martini but I've been afraid I won't like it so I think the tasting is worth a try. What I would like to know is :

1. How many varieties are sampled? (I know there are sometimes several tastings depending on the length of the cruise. I want to know about true martinis, not fru fru drinks in a martini glass)

My husband and I shared a martini tasting on the Sun during our Baltic cruise in June. Get there early as it is very popular and you want to sit close enough to the bartender leading the tasting. Cost is $15 a person. They may try to get you to each do a tasting but we said we would share. First told that we couldn't do that. I said we have in the past (I fibbed). Server said O.K.

They are not full-sized drinks but maybe half the size. We received four drinks. Very generous.

The bartender would make the drink and discuss it. Servers would distribute the drinks very quickly. He also wanted you to pay close attention to what was being said as prizes were given away if you were the first to answer correctly.

Trying to remember which martinis we had. They were all very new to me. Also, my tongue was numb by the time we were done. Strong.

It was held at 4 p.m. on a sea day. I think there are some cruises were it is held twice.

There are also wine tastings, beer tastings and margarita tastings. We tried to go to the margarita tasting but it was canceled as we were the only ones who showed up. We also tried to do this on our other NCL sailings and also were the only ones who showed up! Never have gotten to do one.

The martini tasting lasted one hour.

5 martinis are generally served, but fair warning, four are usually really are more of the "fru-fru" variety (appletinis, chocolate martinis, etc) with one being a vodka martini (usually).

They do talk about the history of the martini and the pours are very generous (maybe 2/3 the size of a "regular" martini).

A good value for $15.

We were on the Star and went to Gatsby's as a martini tasting was just starting, but there was room for more. About five couples were sharing their martinis. Since it looked like lots of fun we stayed and watched. The bartender demonstrated six different full size regular type martinis and showed how to mix them. I can only remember that one of the them was chocolate. It was a small group and he answered questions also. We regretted not joining afterwards but we had just eaten a late lunch and wouldn't enjoy the drinks. It lasted about an hour. We decided that we will join a martini tasting on the next cruise.

I think each ship or even bartender holds their tasting different so not too sure if your ship will be the same.

i didi the martini tasting on the spirit last year. full size tastings. 5 in one hour... i was so hammered but diidn't realize it until after and i stood up. woke up 14 hours later. bring people to share if you are like me and not used to hard liquer.

Do the martini clinic you won't be disappointed. For $15 you will get 5 or maybe a 6th bonus martini. No fu fu drinks. They are all potent. Yes you will get some made with apple or chocolate liquors but still a vodka base. Many have missed dinner after their first clinic.

If you can get a bunch of friends or others from your roll call to join it it can be a fun hour. Every bartender does it different. Listen carefully. They sometimes do quizzes for an extra full size of the current martini.

2970190990059187889S600x600Q85.jpg

I'm not really a martini fan, but I tried a martini tasting a couple of years ago because it was of interest to the person I was with. It was unbelievable. I learned about the classic martinis and the new flavored martinis, and they were all great (well, maybe the classic martini wasn't all that great, but it was worth trying). Now I go to the tastings whenever I can make it. They're different on every ship, depending on the bartender. My practice, and I'd recommend this to anyone going to one of these tastings, is to ask the server to take my car keys before we even start.:D

Have done the Martini tastings on our last 4 cruises, after the first one, we now share! In our experience 4 of the 5 martinis served were flavored, not straight up Gin or Vodka, but very gooood! Always enjoyed the experience, after the first round you got acquainted fast with fellow participants! for $15.00 pp I think it is one of the better bargains onboard, if you drink alcohol. We have never had a with problem with staff sharing (for 2 of us). Hopes this helps.

I agree that it is a good way to try the different martinis offered. I remember looking at the menu and thinking, "Wow, I would like to try that one because the ingredients looked so good." In reality, we were given a couple of these during our tasting and I couldn't have been more wrong about the taste. Trying out the martinis during the tasting made me realize that I would never order those.

We only received four martinis though it looks like others have received five and six.

Just did one on the Jewel some are 5 others 4. They had two of them one day 6 and 7. Other than I did the wine tasting just before, then hit the white hot party it was great. The hang over not so much so.

I learned a lot, it was a good deal and fun. Many did a share a taste with DH or DW.

I have to admit we haven't done it in years, but when we did, it was so much fun and yes, we shared. The glasses were good sized, let's put it this way, even sharing we almost didn't make it to dinner. The bar tender will discuss the various kinds he is creating and give you the recipes if you like. It was a fun hour, great way to get to know others on the cruise and a way to taste different martinis. I think we tried 4 different ones, from relatively classic to the newer variety.

Nita

On the Transatlantic Epic (Oct 2011 from Barcelona to Miami with total of 10 sea days) there were no less than SIX Martini Clinics!!!

We managed to go to only 3 of them and they were GREAT fun. At least one couple attended to all 6!

4 or 5 full sized served at each clinic - all different each time - Epic had loonnngggg menu of different martinis.

$15 pppc.

i didi the martini tasting on the spirit last year. full size tastings. 5 in one hour... i was so hammered but diidn't realize it until after and i stood up. woke up 14 hours later. bring people to share if you are like me and not used to hard liquer.

That's sorta what happened to me.

:eek:

Didn't finish all of them...didn't think I drank that much (ours were not full size, but every bit of 3 ounces each) After the tasting we went out to the pool deck. After 15 minutes laying in the boiling sun (after the martinis) everything started spinning. I looked at my DH and said,

"Uh-oh...I'm not doing well."

I then walked briskly back to my cabin (wobbly and briskly) and threw myself on the bed and woke up 4 hours later.

I would do it again, except I would genuinely only taste each one (like 2 sips each)....I just cannot hold liquor.

My (then 70) year old MIL managed to drink all of hers plus what I didn't finish and she was fine....go figure. :rolleyes:

They make them strong!

I don't think you can make a martini weak!!

We learned our lesson about splitting when we went to a margarita clinic right after the martini tasting. It was a lot of fun and I can proudly say that I do remember both of the clinics. They were full sized martinis on each clinic that we did. We now have to split - mostly because only one of us really likes martinis to start with.

Hi all!

Our CC group did a martini tasting on our recent Epic cruise. It was interesting & a lot of fun even for me who isn't really a drinker. I did sip the original/dirty one, ate the apple from the appletini, tried the other one & but downed the whole chocolate love one!;)

I like that NCL provides nibbles with the drinks unlike some other cruise lines.

I would try it again as each bartender would probably do it differently.

~ Jo ~ :)

Do you still pay for two if you opt to split?

No, it is still $15. Can't remember if we paid 15 percent gratuity on top of the $15. I think we did. Does anyone remember? Kind of funny. I guess we were all buzzed and didn't notice.

Archived