Buying camera in St. Thomas?

Starfire_rules

I purchased a lens for my camera while there. I researched prices before I left home (knew exactly what model I wanted), and pulled out my notes to compare prices when I was in the store. I paid 300 for the lens that was going for about 350 at home. I think you can save some $ with their prices but just educate yourself before you go. Good luck.

I've had good luck with camera purchases at Boolchands. They do not sell "gray" market cameras. However, you should check the warranty information. The Canon that I purchased had a Canon Latin America warranty card. Their offices are in Miami, though and luckily, I never had any warranty work needed.

Like another said, check online first and have a general idea of what you want and what you'd pay locally. I bought a $250. digital 4 years ago for $180 and got a free case and memory card also. When I bought my Canon DSLR two years ago, I got a new model that wasn't available in the US yet. I paid about the same as Internet prices, but got lots of freebies thrown in. (I made these purchases in St. Maarten, but St. Thomas has the same stores.

I've taken thousands of pictures problem-free with both cameras.

Last year, I bought a new waterproof digital and it malfunctioned on the 3rd day I owned it and was ruined in the process (the battery latch came open while snorkelling). I contacted the store via email and they replied promptly. I mailed the camera back and my credit card was refunded.

Edited by MDSue

I got my Nikon D7000 from Boolchands in SXM, for $200 less than I can get it on line or locally. I got a US warranty, and great service from the sales staff in the store. I bought body-only, as I was upgrading my gear and already had a great lens. My son got his D7000 with 18-108 at the same time, again with a US warranty and about $200 less than on-line or locally. They didn't have the kit in stock and created it for him. The D7K was news at the time. Many local stores, and even the big on-line guys, had them back ordered. Boolchands had them in stock.

The key is to know what you want and do your homework before you go.

We have made major camera purchases both at Boolchand's and Royal Caribbean. We bring along a photo magazine with the ads from B and H photo and compare prices. It is usually cheaper in St. Thomas, plus you don't have to pay shipping or sales tax. Surprisingly, they often have cameras in stock that are brand new and waitlisted in the US. Just make sure you get the US warranty card.

Do they have both 'point and shoots' and DSLRs? I love using Sony but am open to Nikon and Olympus.

Sent from my iPod Touch using Tapatalk

If by "they" you mean Boolchands, they have about anything you could want. Taking the ad section from Pop Photography is a great idea.

Do they have both 'point and shoots' and DSLRs? I love using Sony but am open to Nikon and Olympus.

We have bought several Sony SLR cameras, as well as a few Olympus point and shoots over the years. The selections tend to be amazing.

I bought a Nikon D40 at Royal Carribean in St Thomas a few years ago when it first came out. I priced it back home and on the internet before we left. A lot of stores at home didn't have it in stock (Nikon had the advertising campaign where they gave everyone in one town a D40 to use). With the extra lens, a Royal Caribbean camera bag, plus a few other freebies tossed in, I saved over $250 from the prices I found before the cruise for the same accessories. It definitely pays to comparison shop.

Joe

• 5 weeks later...

I just returned from St. Thomas and bought a Nikon camera at Boolchand's . I didn't anticipate needing to buy one so I was unpreparred. My camera broke down and I bought the Nikon S3100 for 130.00 cash. They threw the case in and I felt pretty good about it until I got home and checked prices in the US. BEWARE!! I could have bought the same camera online or at Costco's for 69.00 with memory card and case. I don't mind paying a little more but this is totally unreasonable. Last year I bought a Nikon camera at St. Martin and bought the camera alright but they took me to the cleaners on the memory card...Do research first if you are going to buy anything.:mad:

I find it highly unlikely that you could get a camera or lens at St. Thomas for more than 5% better price than at Amazon or B&H.

I got my Nikon D7000 body for $995 at Boolchands in St. Maarten. Current Adorama and B & H pricing is $1299 body only. You do the math. Also, it's out of stock on both of their sites. I bought mine when it was still Nikon's newest model (at the time it was $1199 on both of the sites, and out of stock on line, as well as locally). Boolchands had them on the shelves - with US warranties. I got 2 of them - one for me, one for my son. This past January I needed a lens cap (managed to leave mine on one of the islands. Paid the same thing at Boolchands in St. Thomas as I would have on-line (I needed the lens cap so I bought it, then checked when I came home).

I'd never buy memory cards on the islands - can't beat on-line prices. My 16gb class 10's cost less than $20 each from Amazon. I figured when I bought the lens cap that I'd pay higher than on-line pricing, but was pleasantly surprised to find that I didn't.

Be careful that you don't get a gray market camera. Look at the warranty and see where it tells you to send the camera for repairs. If the warranty doesn't have a U.S. address, you don't want the camera.

Neither Boolchands nor Royal Caribbean sell gray market cameras. Since the US Virgin Islands are part of the US anything you get there comes with a US warranty.

I find it highly unlikely that you could get a camera or lens at St. Thomas for more than 5% better price than at Amazon or B&H.

I have bought four different ones in St. Thomas and have never been less than 20% less than either B&H or Amazon because I save the 9% sales tax plus the shipping, plus I get the small add on that end up being another 8 - 10 %.

You should try it instead of being skeptical.

I have bought four different ones in St. Thomas and have never been less than 20% less than either B&H or Amazon because I save the 9% sales tax plus the shipping, plus I get the small add on that end up being another 8 - 10 %.

You should try it instead of being skeptical.

Already emailed them on several items. Don't really need to waste my vacation shopping. Their D7000 price was $1200, which amazon has had that price forever. They didn't beat B&H by more than 5% on anything. B&H doesn't charge me sales tax or shipping.

Thanks for the above who actually listed the price of the D7000 that they got. That was a good deal. I'm skeptical when people say they saved X amount when they don't tell you the price.

Your welcome. Are you sure the $1200 wasn't a kit price? The 2nd d7k I got was a kit with an 18-105, and was $1100. Last I looked the Adorama price for that combo was $1700. And as you said, no tax (or shipping) when you buy on the islands. We actually plan our day on st. Maarten to look for new gear I'm interested in. That's our "excursion" for that island. If it's not a great deal, though, I don't buy.

Edited by jlmolner

Your welcome. Are you sure the $1200 wasn't a kit price? The 2nd d7k I got was a kit with an 18-105, and was $1100. Last I looked the Adorama price for that combo was $1700. And as you said, no tax (or shipping) when you buy on the islands. We actually plan our day on st. Maarten to look for new gear I'm interested in. That's our "excursion" for that island. If it's not a great deal, though, I don't buy.

No, body only. Pricing at the moment is a bit iffy since Nikon's stock had been decimated by their factories being damaged in the Thailand floods. I fear this won't be a good time anywhere in the world to get a deal on Nikon equipment.

No, body only. Pricing at the moment is a bit iffy since Nikon's stock had been decimated by their factories being damaged in the Thailand floods. I fear this won't be a good time anywhere in the world to get a deal on Nikon equipment.

Well, that explains why they're out of stock and more expensive on Adorama and B&H right now. In that case the price they sent you is just about what I'm seeing on linr and I'm very lucky I bought when I did! I looked at a battery grip a couple weeks ago in St. Maarten. It was a good price, but I decided that I'd I wanted to carry something that size, I would have gotten a full frame camera.

Buying abroad might save you a few pennies, just check carefully you really are getting a "new" and not a refurbed.

Also with some manufactures if you bring a non USA camera into the US forget about any warranty work.

Buying abroad might save you a few pennies, just check carefully you really are getting a "new" and not a refurbed.

Also with some manufactures if you bring a non USA camera into the US forget about any warranty work.

Remember that St. Thomas is not consider abroad, it is part of the US and you get US warranties.

No.

That coming from a person who does not know how to shop. I bought my Olympus digital SLR at Royal Caribbean and saved almost $400 over the cheapest price I saw in the states. I got a Zuiko 1:1 lens in St. Thomas and saved a ton of cash and the store tossed in two 8 gb memory cards for my camera. The short answer - yes. But get pricing before you go down and take it with you. Last year, a friend of mine asked me to get him a Seiko watch while I was in the Caribbean. I found the absolute cheapest online price I could find for the model watch he wanted and printed that page out and took it with me. When I found the watch, I showed the saleperson the printout I had with me. He undercut the price by $45. And yes, it's genuine. Oh, and I always remind people - don't forget you're also saving by not having to pay sales tax and of course, it's duty free.

Someone else here mentioned to be careful about getting a "grey market" piece of merchandise. Stores like Boolchand's and Royal Caribbean Electronics are reputable stores and sell genuine merchandise. I can't vouch for the "stores" that are under a tent by the dumpster.

Edited by rickcop44