crown princess

refman

we are considering a cruise on the crown princess. we have always sailed norwegian (6) and holland america (15) and would like to hear opinions to weather crown princess is as good as NCL OR HAL. also, does the crown princess have the movie under the stars and with the layout of the balconies are they all able to be seen by rooms above you or are the grand suites sheltered from that traffic. thanks in advance and especially if you think of something else i might want to know. one more, how are the private cabanas on the private island. they look very nice in the catalog. thanks again.

I haven't been on HAL, but for me Princess is definitely better than NCL. We much pprefer the ships, the food, service and itineraries Princess offers.

Yes, the Crown Princess has MUTS.

No balconies are completely private.

We did the Crown in 2009 and the NCL Pearl in 2010. Crown was our preferred

Entertainment - Crown. NCL good comedy, hyponist

Personable staff - Crown. NCL "yes this my job"

Food - NCL. Crown too crowded, seemed like all the time

Specialty Restuarants - NCL, but Crown very close

We found that the Freestyle dinning is just too relaxed on NCL vs the Anytime dinning on Princess. Freestyle was not meant for a person to wear flipflops and shorts into the specialty restuarant, but thats what we saw. And lining the halls to get to be first in line to eat on NCL, "awe come on, there's plenty of food for everyone." We like the formal nights on Crown just because it different than our everyday life.

So, if I was stranded on a deserted island and two cruise ships came to my rescue, I'd swim out to the Princess.

I haven't been on HAL, but for me Princess is definitely better than NCL. We much pprefer the ships, the food, service and itineraries Princess offers.

The aft cabins have private balconies. MUTS is awesome-300 soft of HD clarity!!

I haven't been on NCL but I'm a 3-star Mariner on HAL and Elite on Princess.

Princess is very similar to HAL but a bit livelier, particularly during the evening. In my experience, overall food and service is better on Princess over HAL. I prefer the Princess buffet with self-serve stations rather than long lines and a wait for each part of your meal. On Princess, the buffet is open from very early in the morning until 11pm at night.

The Crown not only has MUTS but it also has the Adagio Lounge, a nice, very comfortable piano bar in the evening with couches and club chairs. When the pianist isn't there, there's a guitarist. The Crown also has the International Cafe with "to die for" muffins and pastries in the morning, salads (and cookies and pastries) the rest of the day; HAL has absolutely nothing similar.

I like HAL and depending on the itinerary, don't hesitate to sail them. My preference is Princess, though. I've been on the Crown three times and had a really good cruise each time. Never felt crowded to me as I think the ship distributes passengers well.

FYI, comparing Princess Cays to Half Moon Cay is comparing apples to oranges. HMC is MUCH better. The sand is better (like walking in talcum powder), lounger availability better, cabanas are better. On Princess, you can't pre-book a specific cabana; it's assigned to you by Princess.

Interesting you say Princess is better than NCl I returned on BTB ruises on EPIC-Med and Transat I was treated like a queen by all staff members Food was very good and entertainment top knotch

I am returning on Princess I doubt very much to get as well treated as I was on NCL THe service is beyond comparison

I recommend you try it first You might be pleasantly surprised !!1

Michele

hi pam,

thanks for the reply. with regards to the MUTS are they first come/served or reserved and do you know which deck would have the least noise to book a penthouse on? i really appreciate your time and helpfulness, thanks so much pam.

We sail both Princess and NCL -- but prefer Princess (sailing on the Crown on Jan 14). The balconies on Caribe and Dolphin deck can be viewed by anyone on balconies above those decks although on Caribe part of the balcony is covered. Dolphin has mostly mini-suites, Caribe has the largest balconies (other than suites).

In our experience Princess is more like HAL than like NCL. As far as which is better -- entirely personal preference. But I don't think you would go wrong trying the Crown.

John

We have cruised on HAL, NCL and Princess. IMHO Princess and HAl are both very good, NCL not so much. We mostly cruise Princess as we like their itineraries, the price is right and we have always had great service. When booking a cabin we always look for decks with cabins above and below rather than lounges, the pools,etc. and have never had a problem with noise.

I can't share any information on HAL as it is one line we have not sailed. However when it comes to comparing Princess and NCL I can only say my wife is Elite and I will be Elite on Princess as of Feb. On the other hand we have sailed NCL once. It was not an unpleasant cruise but there where just a number of things that just didn't "work" for us. NCL is not for us but it certainly is for many others. As Pam said the Crown is a great ship and my wife and I will be back on her for the fourth time in Feb! Enjoy your cruise whichever you choose!!

Archived