Cruise History

AyeCalypso

After 3 cruises I am really into this and would love to read more about it. Are there any history books detailing the evolution of cruise ships, cruise lines, mergers, standards, service levels, etc?

Any books on Amazon to recommend?

The modern ships are an engineers dream vacation!

There are several authors who are experts in the history of cruising and transocean travel. John Maxtone-Graham, Theodore Scull, and William H. Miller come to mind. A visit to Amazon.com reveals that their books are not cheap. But I have several, and they are very interesting. Sometimes you can pick up one on the bargain tables at Barnes & Noble. I have most of Maxtone-Graham's books, and have had him as lecturer on two cruises. He is excellent! EM

After 3 cruises I am really into this and would love to read more about it. Are there any history books detailing the evolution of cruise ships, cruise lines, mergers, standards, service levels, etc?

Any books on Amazon to recommend?

The modern ships are an engineers dream vacation!

Check this site out.

A book I picked up from Amazon a couple off years ago was "Devils On The Deep Blue Sea." It chronicles the birth of much of the present day cruise industry companies as Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian Cruise Lines. Goes back to the fire on board the Yarmouth Castle which was the watershed event that brought us much of what we now recognize as the modern cruise industry. I enjoyed it:).

A book I picked up from Amazon a couple off years ago was "Devils On The Deep Blue Sea." It chronicles the birth of much of the present day cruise industry companies as Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian Cruise Lines. Goes back to the fire on board the Yarmouth Castle which was the watershed event that brought us much of what we now recognize as the modern cruise industry. I enjoyed it:).

I have this but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Great book! I was going to suggest it myself. Not only does it give a good history of the industry, but there are some really interesting tidbits of information as well.

• 2 weeks later...

"CRUISE: Identity, Design and Culture" by Peter Quartermaine and Bruce Peter. Packed w fantastic illustrations, going back decades. (Rizolli. They have similar volumes out about trains and airlines, for that matter.)

A similarly well-illustrated look at passenger ships from an in-depth design perspective is "SHIP STYLE: Modernism and Modernity at Sea in the 20th Century" (Philip Dawson and Bruce Peter; Conway publishers)

Archived