Solo in Aqua Class

AliceS

I'm a little concerned about.having booked Aqua class. I'm not into having diner by myself every night. What are the options with Aqua? Haven't been on Celebrity for a while and never in Aqua. I didn't research Blu enough. Thanks. Alice

I'm a little concerned about.having booked Aqua class. I'm not into having diner by myself every night. What are the options with Aqua? Haven't been on Celebrity for a while and never in Aqua. I didn't research Blu enough. Thanks. Alice

Hi Alice;

I traveled solo in AQ on the Silly and had no problems. The tables are close enough in Blu so that you can chat with your neighbors........or not, as you wish. I have read that Blu wasn't solo friendly but didn't find that to be true at all. Food was great, service impeccable and the ambience is wonderfull.

Hi, I have a different view. Doesn't make it right or wrong for the previous

poster....just different.

I was in AQ once and ended up dining there only 3 out of 7 nights.

I am quite outgoing and prefer to have interaction with my tablemates

and didn't find Blu condusive to it.

I had met folks who were not in AQ and they could not join me so I dined

with them in other venues.

What I'm wondering is this, can I opt out and take traditional instead? I could still take breakfast there, but have dinner in the MDR

From other posts I've read you can dine in the MDR as well as in Blu. I would speak with the maitre'd in Blu the first day on board to discuss making arrangements.

From other posts I've read you can dine in the MDR as well as in Blu. I would speak with the maitre'd in Blu the first day on board to discuss making arrangements.

You are right, I just called Celebrity and that's exactly what I was told and what I will no doubt work on. Thank you so much.

Hi Alice;

I traveled solo in AQ on the Silly and had no problems. The tables are close enough in Blu so that you can chat with your neighbors........or not, as you wish. I have read that Blu wasn't solo friendly but didn't find that to be true at all. Food was great, service impeccable and the ambience is wonderfull.

I totally agree. On our last Equinox cruise, my wife was ill a few nights and could not join me in Blu. I had no problem communicating with others in Blu; and, as a matter of fact I was delighted in the intelligence and academic background of those with whom I chatted.

I travel solo on the eclipse in AQ in November 2011. I had a delightful time meeting new people in Blu. Breakfast was easier to chat up others. By end of week I'd made some good friends and dining companions.

Btw I'm booked solo in AQ two more times in 2012 ...

With six of those sailings in AquaClass and six of those sailings solo... I have another six AquaClass sailings booked [including the new offering, aboard Infinity, next Sunday]... So you might conclude that I'm hooked on X and I'm hooked on AquaClass; Blu is a very big part of that...

I will readily admit that I was not happy when Celebrity converted Blu from traditional dining [initially, they had two fixed seatings at dinner and it was possible--on a limited basis, most tables are for two--to be seated with others] to flex dining... I felt then--and to some extent, still think conceptually--that it was a very unwelcoming action toward solo AquaClass guests...

But truth is it has largely worked out really well and I've made some very nice and enduring friends--some of whom I dined with nightly [adjacent tables] and some of whom I've sailed with twice--along the way... And I still, personally, far prefer Blu in terms of food, service, and ambience over the Main Dining Room...

I realize that--as a single or as a couple--Blu is not to everyone's liking for a whole variety of reasons... But I would encourage you to consider giving it a try before committing to alternate plans...

If you function easily/comfortably as a solo on land, you can easily do so--from every perspective--at sea...

If you are gregarious I don't think you will have a problem, on a recent cruise in Aqua, we were sat next to a gent on his own a couple of times, with whom we chatted. he also seemed to be getting on well with other couples during the cruise, in fact towards the end of the cruise he was actually seated with other couples.

Richard

We really enjoyed dining in Blu (most of the time) but our biggest complaint was that the restaurant is organized to primarily accomodate "2 top" dining. A majority of tables are for 2s and are not conducive to a lot of socialization although it is possible to chat with the couple at the next table. They also have some 4s which are usually taken by couples that are friends. There are a few larger tables (not always used when we were in Blu) but not sure this would work for a solo cruiser. If you are fortunate to make some Aqua Class friends you could dine with them. Otherwise, you always have the option to ask the Maitre d' (in Blu) to make arrangements for you to dine in the MDR at one of the sittings..in which case you could ask to be put at a large table.

Hank

Looks like I am the only one who has had issues....guess I picked the

wrong cruise:rolleyes:. The main reason I won't do AQ again is price though.

It is normally out of my budget.

No Lois not the only one. We tried Aqua on the Solstice when the price dropped.Not happy with Blu for many reasons that I have documented before.Don't feel it is worth the price difference and we have enjoyed the many intelligent people we have met in the MDR.;)

No Lois, you're not the only one. I've found dining rooms on any line that are similar to Blu, even the luxury lines, are not totally conducive to solo cruisers. Like you, I love meeting new people and Blu just didn't have that for me.

No Lois, I completely agree with you. I have done AQ if I am sailing with a companion, but when I sail as a solo I book a cheaper balcony room just to be seated in the MDR.

Blu has wonderful food and service that I thoroughly enjoyed, but the atmosphere I would call intimate and romantic. Not impossible for the outgoing solo cruiser to socialize but makes things a bit more difficult. In the MDR you have a built in social group, not so in Blu.

Archived