Anchorage to Seward?

LilTink13

We arrive in Anchorage on a Thursday at around 11am. We are interested in heading straight to Seward. What are our options?

- Rail is out. It seems to only work for us timing wise the following day, Fri, at around 6:30am.

- Quick puddlejumper flight?

- If we are going to a ride a bus we would prefer to have somewhat of a tour along the way.

If this seems impossible or to be too much, we can always stay in Anchorage for the night and take the train the following day but we really wanted to spend the night in Seward.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Unless you know a private pilot in Anchorage willing to fly you down there are no "quick puddlejumper flights" from Anchorage to Seward. Seward does have an airport, but it is primarily used by private pilots or air taxi operators taking clients out to fly-in lodges. I've often wished that ERA or some other commuter airline would start flying into Seward.

Thanks very much for the information. I, too, wish they would have some quick commuter flights... it just seems to make sense like they do in Hawaii, especially in the summer!

We've found a few private tour options that offer one way transportation... they are running quite high - around $250 a person. We shall see!

Do you think it's worth it to get down to Seward and stay the night there? Our other option is to just stay in Anchorage and then take the train to Seward in the am. What are your thoughts?

Thanks very much for the information. I, too, wish they would have some quick commuter flights... it just seems to make sense like they do in Hawaii, especially in the summer!

We've found a few private tour options that offer one way transportation... they are running quite high - around $250 a person. We shall see!

Do you think it's worth it to get down to Seward and stay the night there? Our other option is to just stay in Anchorage and then take the train to Seward in the am. What are your thoughts?

Well, why do you want to get to Seward?? What are your touring plans? How much time do you have? That is what should dictate your mode of transportation. I mentioned a car rental- certainly an excellent option- IF you have to get to Seward the same day, and less than $500?

Personally I would stay the night in Anchorage and take the morning train to Seward..it's a very scenic 4 1/2 hour (127 miles) trip...and well worth it !

I'd rent a car (Hertz is your only choice) and head for Seward. It's a very scenic drive along the Turnagain Arm with lots to see and do, depending on your interests. Walk the boardwalk at Potters Marsh to watch swans, the viewing platforms at Williwaw to watch the salmon, the 4pm cruise at Portage Glacier, tram at Mt Alyeska. Then you could enjoy Seward the next day. Maybe visit Exit Glacier or just wander around the harbor.

http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

The Park Connection bus has an afternoon run to Seward.

http://www.alaskacoach.com/schedule.html

Well, why do you want to get to Seward?? What are your touring plans? How much time do you have? That is what should dictate your mode of transportation. I mentioned a car rental- certainly an excellent option- IF you have to get to Seward the same day, and less than $500?

Our cruise departs from Seward the next evening. We arrive in Anchorage at 11am. I've heard of great things to do in Seward. Either way, we are going to be making the trip to Seward... I just had my heart set on staying there for the night instead of Anchorage.

We don't have any set plans these "two" days except to be on the boat before sailaway the following evening ;) Thanks everyone for the input. Keep it coming ;)

Archived