Grand Cayman question

AlanR2

We are about to embark on a Solstice Western Carib

cruise with our daughter and her two friends. Most are interested in a day at the beach and Seven Mile Beach looks very pretty. Does anyone know if there is an independant way to get there? We usually just take taxis to beaches and find chairs to rent. The excursions here seem pricy and very limited. Any thoguhts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You'll have no problems finding a taxi to take you to the beach. The taxi drivers will try to fill their larger van/cab and take everyone to a common drop off point. You might want to look over on the Cayman Island port of call forum (here on Cruise Critic) and look for recommendations to a specific location on the beach if you don't want to just rely on the cab driver - although there is no problem in doing so.

Personally, I'd never take a ship's excursion for a beach visit in the Caribbean. It is too easy go grab a cab and be on your own schedule and decide on your drinks and lunch menu on your own.

The beach is a nice way to spend the day...but Grand Cayman is one of the only places in the world where you can "swim with the sting rays"...and it's worth checking out on the internet to see if it's something your family/friends might like to do.

I agree with "ghstudio" above. There are lots of nice beaches in the Caribbean but nothing else quite like taking a boat out to the sand bar at Stingray City. We've made the trip twice, once with our 3 kids and then with adult friends several year later. In both instances everyone said it was one of the coolest things they'd ever done. The cost is not outrageous and most companies provide transportation right from the port area. Suggest you at least look into into it before just heading to the beach...

We enjoyed the stringrays. We were on a private tour. Just seven of us on the boat with a great guide. We saw the ship's excursion come along as we were leaving.....an incredible number of people. I would recommend a private tour. Afterwords, we got dropped off at seven mile beach and then took the local bus back. We got dropped off at a hotel, we walked through the lobby and then onto the beach. It was wonderful.

It's easy to get to by bus or taxi...with the cab you can even get a little tour, Hell and the other tourist stuff. One thing to keep in mind, I think that's a tender only port, and on our last cruise, it was canceled due to the high waves...port was closed. Hopefully that won't happen to you.

It's easy to get to by bus or taxi...with the cab you can even get a little tour, Hell and the other tourist stuff. One thing to keep in mind, I think that's a tender only port, and on our last cruise, it was canceled due to the high waves...port was closed. Hopefully that won't happen to you.

Thaat has happened to us on a couple of cruises.

I would like to add that the stingrays are great and only take a short time. Most if not ALL of the tours will drop you back at 7 mile beach or the port. You can get off at the beach and spend the rest of the day there and catch a cab back to port.

Check the port of call Grand Cayman board for reliable tour companies. Booking ahead is your best option.

We have taken a taxi to Seven Mile beach a few times. I forget how much it costs but it is quite reasonable (I think about $5 each). There are lots of taxis running up and down the island past the beach so it is no problem getting back.

The beach is lovely white soft sand. The last time we were there we walked back to the ship mostly along the beach.

I would like to add that the stingrays are great and only take a short time. Most if not ALL of the tours will drop you back at 7 mile beach or the port. You can get off at the beach and spend the rest of the day there and catch a cab back to port.

Check the port of call Grand Cayman board for reliable tour companies. Booking ahead is your best option.

If you opt for the Stingrays instead, check out Captain Marvin tours. He has a great day outlines. IT is a short walk to his storefront from the cruise terminal and they have a bus that takes you on a short tour of the island and then to the dock where his boats are. He takes you on a tour of the canals and the nice waterfront properties. Keep your eyes out for the iguanas. The boat will take you to the Stingray city where you swim (wade) with the stingrays and feed them. You can hold one and get your picture taken kissing one.

Good advice on Capt Marvin tours....

Just for clarity, these aren't mini sting rays...they are a yard or more wide, but very gentle (these are not the same rays that killed Steve Irvin). You can feed them (without losing your fingers or hand) and you can lift them from underneath (you don't grab and hold them). The water where you visit with them is chest level on an adult so even if you don't swim you can experience the rays.

Good advice on Capt Marvin tours....

Just for clarity, these aren't mini sting rays...they are a yard or more wide, but very gentle (these are not the same rays that killed Steve Irvin). You can feed them (without losing your fingers or hand) and you can lift them from underneath (you don't grab and hold them). The water where you visit with them is chest level on an adult so even if you don't swim you can experience the rays.

But, do they have the toxic barbs on their tails, as do those in the water on our beaches in SWFL?

Archived