What's the best way to book a cruise?

Here's how I book my cruises:  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Here's how I book my cruises:

• I book online through an Aussie website, either travel agency or cruise line
    • I book online through a US agency or cruise line website
    • I visit my travel agent
    • I use cruise line/travel agent telephone options
    • None of the above, I'll explain below....

Get the glossy cruise books from the high street T/A, then hit the 'puter for the cruise agents. Internet Cruise Agents are the High Street Travel Agents worse nightmare, LOL. These days anyone who pays full brochure prices for a cruise is NUTS.

With all due respect to those NUTS who do.

Example: Our Arcadia voyage, 49 days, Sydney to Southampton is 33% of the brochure price. P&O had a promo deal. We got it through our internet cruise agent and hit a 6 when we got it plus OBC. But you don't always get the cabin you want that way, we got a gty obstructed view, what we paid for.

I was suprised to see almost 1 in 3 Aussie cruisers book with an overseas agent.

I am not surprised, because many on CC are experienced travellers.

I would expect the % to be much higher for using local TAs for the majority of Australian cruisers.

I am not surprised, because many on CC are experienced travellers.

I would expect the % to be much higher for using local TAs for the majority of Australian cruisers.

That surprises me as many cruise lines will not permit overseas agents to sell to non Americans. Most of us know that.

That surprises me as many cruise lines will not permit overseas agents to sell to non Americans. Most of us know that.

I think its more a reflection of those who use the board. They would be more aware of overseas possibilities.

I always research on the net, but book through local agents, telling them I know the net price.

Thats based on the theory...

Use them or lose them..

(The TA's I mean.)

Cruising is a very competitive business in the US there are a lot of agencies more than happy to take our bookings. If you do your research its not too hard at all and more than worth it in $$$ saved. I have noticed though that the aussie prices are improving so hopefully our agents will be able to be more competitive in the near future.

Sue

Thanks for this -- and sorry to others if I was misleading re how you pay. We're mostly wondering if people do/can book online in Australia -- from what I can tell, there aren't as many cruise lines or agents in Oz who allow you to book from their website (you usually have to call).

Carolyn

Am with Pobman that my booking depends on the best offer, so varies all the time. Hasn't been one the same way yet...!

Regarding the above, it is possible to book some cruises directly through their site, and/or through a TA locally.

Not all cruise lines forbid the sale of their cruises by overseas agents to Australians and even Princess allows existing clients of overseas agents to continue purchasing their overseas cruises from them.

As David said, it is more a reflection of experienced CC members who use this forum.

Archived