Roatan Questions

marcyjane

Posted on ports of call board and didn't get any response so trying here. Hope that's ok.

We are going on Carnival Legend in April and was wondering it anyone had done this excursion in Roatan through Carnival excurisions? Discover Roatan & Beach Break by 4 wheel drive.

If so please tell he how you like or didn't like it.

Thanks,

Marcy

Have not done that one - as we usually do research on here and from tripadvisor to do less costly and more personalized excursions.,

If you search for Victor Bodden,, for his tour company, on here and on tripadvisor you will find that hundreds have enjoyed his crew and the freedom to tell them what\ You Want To Do and they make it happen and make sure you are back to ship in plenty of time

Our guide grew up there in Hondurus but had also toured as a crew member on cruise ships, familiar with Americans and other cultures. so when you say you want local food, or the prettiest beach - poof, thats what you get!

Kimberly

We used Roney's Tour. He was great and gave advice as where and what to do, but he would take you any where you wanted to go. It was a great tour of the island for cheap money. Using him or Victor Bodden I would say you can't go wrong, never read a bad review of either. This was one of our favorite islands of any we have been to either on a cruise or spending one on a weeks vacation.

When you walk out of the shopping area (where you dock) you will go into a parking lot with taxi's, etc. Go to the left towards the road (can't miss it) and you will walk UP the road and when you get over the hump you will see all the tour vans waiting. The vans will be lined up (many of them) just ask one where your tour guide is (they all know each other) and they will point the way to yours. It's a little bit of a walk, but certainly not bad. At the end of the tour they can drop you off inside the port area..but they are not allowed to pick you up there (hence the walk down the road).

The walk down the road isn't bad at all. Plenty of people, even older people and people not in good shape, handled it just fine. It's very easy to figure out once you get there. Plenty of people will be making the walk, and the tour companies are very prompt and attentive. We did Victor Bodden, and loved them!!!!! Our driver was Channon Bodden, and he was great! They seem to always do an awesome job!!! And they aren't the only ones. Much cheaper, and you'll get more out of your day. Just tell them what you want to do, and they'll do it for you, and you don't have to do anything that you don't want to do. Whatever you do, have a great time on Roatan. It is a spectacular island (once you get away from Mahogany Bay)!

If you want to, you can check out my Dream review from 4-17-2010. The link is in my signature. That's when we went to Roatan. I've got pics and descriptions of our tour in there.

We used Roney and had a great day. Our driver took us anywhere we wanted to go. Got to see places that were not so touristy. We ate lunch at his wife's restaurant. Sat on the front porch looking out at the ocean while we ate. Great food too, real home style cooking.

In Roatan with a group of 12 in 2010 we rented a 15 seater stick shift bus from Avis for $200.00 for the day. The price included a tour guide who wasn't allowed to drive the bus. One of my uncles drove the bus & the tour guide sat up front and directed him where to go. We had an awesome time & tipped the guide $120.00.

Be careful of the monkeys. A few reports have appeared of people getting bitten.

Yes, we've heard that too. You don't have to do the monkeys though. Many people like it and think they're cute. But it didn't sound appealing to us, so we decided not to see the monkeys. For Victor Bodden tours, that's no problem. You don't have to do what you don't want. You can spend that time doing things that you'd rather do.

Yes, we've heard that too. You don't have to do the monkeys though. Many people like it and think they're cute. But it didn't sound appealing to us, so we decided not to see the monkeys. For Victor Bodden tours, that's no problem. You don't have to do what you don't want. You can spend that time doing things that you'd rather do.

We did the Victor Bodden Fun 'n Sun tour last week. It's only $25 pp and they put you in a van with others which we preferred. Took us wherever we wanted... island tour, then a stop at Bodden's property to see the animals, then a couple hours on the beach.

I too was concerned about the monkeys and wasn't planning on getting in the cage with them... but I did. I held my camera and my sunglasses in my hand because I was paranoid the monkeys would try and take them. We were told not to try and pet them if they were on the ground or they would bite. Heeding that advice we all survived unscathed. Then we went into the parrot cage... oh geez. I let my guard down and left my sunglasses on my head. A parrot swooped down and landed on my head... pretty heavy sucker for a bird! I knew I couldn't move for fear that the thing would freak out and bite me, so I just stood still while this huge beast of a bird dug his talons into my skull while chewing on my sunglasses (thankfully they were only $15 sunglasses because they did NOT survive unscathed). A parrot landed on my husband's head... I thought he was smart to be wearing a hat because he couldn't feel the parrot claws in his scalp... but the bird proceeded to pull the top button of his hat off! The worker gave my husband some sunflower seeds and told him to just keep his hand flat... which my husband did... and they I heard "F*&^#$!!!"... the parrot bit my husband and his hand was dripping with blood. (I have a pic of the bloody hand that I'll post in a review soon.)

That said, I really enjoyed Victor Bodden's tour... our guide Big Al was GREAT!!! (Funny, Big Al wouldn't go anywhere near the animal cages... he said he didn't like the animals. He also wouldn't set foot on the beach because he hates the sand. Lol.) Just watch out for those innocent looking winged creatures.

We'll be there the same day (same ship/sailing) MarcyJane and we are doing Victor Bodden tours as well.

Trying to decide. Ship excursion or Bodden tours. I had a very, very close call on a "not" ship sponsored excursion one time and have been very careful since. Reading all the good things about Victor we might. I know that they are very good if suggested here, but the one I did was. Vehicle broke down and we had to wait on another one and it was a close call. This was in St. Thomas a few years ago.

Marcy

We did the Victor Bodden Fun 'n Sun tour last week. It's only $25 pp and they put you in a van with others which we preferred. Took us wherever we wanted... island tour, then a stop at Bodden's property to see the animals, then a couple hours on the beach.

I too was concerned about the monkeys and wasn't planning on getting in the cage with them... but I did. I held my camera and my sunglasses in my hand because I was paranoid the monkeys would try and take them. We were told not to try and pet them if they were on the ground or they would bite. Heeding that advice we all survived unscathed. Then we went into the parrot cage... oh geez. I let my guard down and left my sunglasses on my head. A parrot swooped down and landed on my head... pretty heavy sucker for a bird! I knew I couldn't move for fear that the thing would freak out and bite me, so I just stood still while this huge beast of a bird dug his talons into my skull while chewing on my sunglasses (thankfully they were only $15 sunglasses because they did NOT survive unscathed). A parrot landed on my husband's head... I thought he was smart to be wearing a hat because he couldn't feel the parrot claws in his scalp... but the bird proceeded to pull the top button of his hat off! The worker gave my husband some sunflower seeds and told him to just keep his hand flat... which my husband did... and they I heard "F*&^#$!!!"... the parrot bit my husband and his hand was dripping with blood. (I have a pic of the bloody hand that I'll post in a review soon.)

That said, I really enjoyed Victor Bodden's tour... our guide Big Al was GREAT!!! (Funny, Big Al wouldn't go anywhere near the animal cages... he said he didn't like the animals. He also wouldn't set foot on the beach because he hates the sand. Lol.) Just watch out for those innocent looking winged creatures.

You know how dogs sometimes like legs. Well I had about the same thing but involved a little monkey and my ear. I had no idea thought he was playing with my hair. But my dear friends had it all on video....yep....true story!

Got back to the ship and my parents asked how it was....I was like I got FD by a monkey! Had swimmers ear for weeks...ugh...mom still laughs!

• 1 month later...

I've been reading your posts about Bodden Tours and I was wondering if it's necessary to book ahead of the cruise. Can you ever go up to the tour vans after arriving in port? I'm going with seven other people and I'm not sure it's a good idea to book ahead because we may decide to do something else while on the ship and discussing other options. Thanks for your help!

I've been reading your posts about Bodden Tours and I was wondering if it's necessary to book ahead of the cruise. Can you ever go up to the tour vans after arriving in port? I'm going with seven other people and I'm not sure it's a good idea to book ahead because we may decide to do something else while on the ship and discussing other options. Thanks for your help!

If it were me, I'd contact Bodden Tours via the website and ask them that question. I'm sure Victor will advise you. You do not have to pay in advance, but he probably has a certain time frame for cancelling if you reserve and decide not to go or can't go.

• 1 month later...

I understand of course that you have to have a valid drivers license for the 4 wheel drive excursion. Does anyone know if you are required to present your vehicle insurance company coverage card and information.

Thanks so much.

Marcy

I understand of course that you have to have a valid drivers license for the 4 wheel drive excursion. Does anyone know if you are required to present your vehicle insurance company coverage card and information. [/size]

Would your insurance company insure you out of your own country... it is very doubtful.

I have rented both cars and scooters on the island, I have only had to show them a driver license and a credit card. :)

Archived