Spray tanning

curlymason

I cruise next month, just as I'll be at my most 'winter white'...or, as my DH says, I glow in the dark!

I really don't like the idea of tanning beds...so I was debating a spray tan. There's a new place that offers Mystic Tan here. Is one spray tan better than another? How long do they last? I just dont want to get blotchy and look like I have some weird skin disease lol.

I have not tried a spray tan, but do use Tan Towels and really like them. They are a premoistened toilet that you just rub on. Unlike a cream or a self-spray, you control the amount of tanning agent so you don't get the drips and blotches. That said, the first time I used them I did get too much on my foot. So if you try them give them a couple of attempts before you go on your cruise. I am fair and use the light/medium towels. It takes about a day for the colour to develop, but you can do another application (or more) on subsequent days.

If you want to try, I buy mine at Ulta.

Spray tans vary, according to the quality of the salon, the product they spray, and the person doing the spraying. They ask you to exfoliate before getting the tan, so it will last longer. If you have asthma, or certain respiratory conditions, I'd be careful, as you do get some exposure to the inhaled mist, especially if they spray your face. I've had 2 previous spray tans, for events, but I don't recommend doing this routinely. It lasts longer if you wait at least 24 hours after getting sprayed before you take a shower, so that the chemical has a chance to "set" onto the epidermis of the skin. Areas prone to bending, like the wrists, between the fingers, and elbows can be uneven, and areas that get wet and are often exposed to soap and water, like tops of the hands will lose the tan faster. My tans lasted about 4-5 days, and I was really careful about trying to "keep" it. Make sure you wear an old shirt that opens in the front and be careful wherever you sit or sleep right afterwards, because it can discolor clothing and linens. Good luck.

p.s. not sure why you want a spray tan BEFORE your cruise. I'd want to use the cruise as an opportunity to get a REAL one, lol !!!!!!!!!

Hahaha...oh I'll work on getting a tan on the cruise. But that first day or two i may blind every one around me.

I think I'm going to skip the spray tan, though. I'm not a big fan of blotchy self tanners, and it sounds like this would be similar.

Friend we sailed with Thanksgiving got a spray tan just before she came and she looked fabulous. They did a wonderful job. She then used lots of sun block and got natural tan and really looked good.

My sister is the tech for Mystic Tan. Advice from her about spray tans is moisturize daily, start with a lighter color and gradually build to the shade you want. While at pool or beach, don't "scrub" dry, pat dry. The blotchy comes from operators that don't spray it evenly and dry skin on the knees, elbows and ankles. Hope this helps.

I've recently given up tanning (real and beds) and so I started searching for sprays. Most of them smell more horrible on me than on others:confused:.

I've had a Mystic Tan - wasn't impressed. May try the Versa Spa in the next week before my cruise next month.

What I did find (and like) is by Sephora - it is the Sephora brand - Sephora Collection Tinted Self-Tanning Body Mist (14.00). It goes on easy and rubs easy and dries very quickly. And doesn't smell quite as awful as the others.

I also used SEVIN NYNE - I find it is a little harder to spread and doesn't spread quite as well but worked ok. These were much better than any others I had tried.

I've recently given up tanning (real and beds) and so I started searching for sprays. Most of them smell more horrible on me than on others:confused:.

I've had a Mystic Tan - wasn't impressed. May try the Versa Spa in the next week before my cruise next month.

What I did find (and like) is by Sephora - it is the Sephora brand - Sephora Collection Tinted Self-Tanning Body Mist (14.00). It goes on easy and rubs easy and dries very quickly. And doesn't smell quite as awful as the others.

I also used SEVIN NYNE - I find it is a little harder to spread and doesn't spread quite as well but worked ok. These were much better than any others I had tried.

Islandchicklet - how long did the Sephora brand last? I might look into that for my cruise next week. I tan pretty easily but it IS January and I have terrible "runner's tan" lines on my thighs still from summer/fall running.

I have also tried many brands of self tanners...haven't tried the Mystic tan, but have found the best for my skin is Tan Towels...My friend tried Mystic tan for our cruise in November, she wasn't impressed.

With something like the Tan Towel, you can start practicing at home, perfecting your application. No bad smell, layer as much as you want/need & it definitely comes out cheaper per tan. Give it a try & let us know! Or, get a 'practice' Mystic tan & compare to see what works best for you!

• 2 weeks later...

I owned a tanning salon and we also did airbrush tanning. Airbrushing tends to last longer because it is customized to the individual.

As others have stated, you want to exfoliate before the tan and I would suggest 48hrs before you sail. The first 24, the tan is "curring" so to speak. THe color develops ove a 24hr period.

The 2 main issues here though are:

1. Salt water will fade and splotch a spray tan if you are not careful.

2. Spray tans are only for color. You still need to make sure you are protecting yourself against the sun.

Archived