Whittier to Anchorage Tranfer

CMcG

We are using the Princess Whittier to Anchorage Airport transfer after our cruise but will be renting a car for our land trip to Denali rather than flying home. It just seemed to be the easiest way to deal with the logistics.

Is there any way to figure out what time we will arrive at Anchorage Airport?

It is our first cruise so I have no clue - but I'm pretty sure it takes a while to get everyone off the ship and that there may be more than one vehicle involved in the transfers. Do they prioritize disembarkation by timing of flight home or other connection?

Appreciate any & all assistance.

Cheryl

Assuming you get on the transfer bus at Whittier and drive straight to the Anchorage Airport, the trip will take no more than 2 hours. There is a stating area to wait for a tunnel opening (you have to drive through a one-way tunnel). At worst, that wait is 1/2 hour. Once you get going, it is about another 90 minutes or so to get to the Anchorage Airport-again assuming the bus doesn't stop for pictures/sightseeing.

S far as when the busses will leave, that depends on your arrival time and how long it takes to get off the boat.

You chose a great cruise! I saved my listing from our Alaska cruise on the Diamond Princess last summer, so I'll give you info. based on that schedule. There are a ton of coaches that take passengers to Anchorage on disembarkation day, and you're assigned based on time priority. So passengers with the earliest flights go first, then later, and then people with independent plans. According to last summer's schedule, the earliest coach left at 7:25, and latest coach left the ship at 9:05 AM. That means you should be in Anchorage no later than 1:00 PM. As previously stated, it's a 2 hour drive. Of course, this could all be different when you cruise, but hope this helps you plan a little. Happy cruising!

Thanks everyone - I've reserved a car with a noon pickup & will hope for the best. I'll probably call before we leave home to see what the car rental people say just to be sure.

Appreciate your help.

Cheryl

You chose a great cruise! I saved my listing from our Alaska cruise on the Diamond Princess last summer, so I'll give you info. based on that schedule. There are a ton of coaches that take passengers to Anchorage on disembarkation day, and you're assigned based on time priority. So passengers with the earliest flights go first, then later, and then people with independent plans. According to last summer's schedule, the earliest coach left at 7:25, and latest coach left the ship at 9:05 AM. That means you should be in Anchorage no later than 1:00 PM. As previously stated, it's a 2 hour drive. Of course, this could all be different when you cruise, but hope this helps you plan a little. Happy cruising!

Are you still allowed to walk off in the first couple of groups?

Thanks everyone - I've reserved a car with a noon pickup & will hope for the best. I'll probably call before we leave home to see what the car rental people say just to be sure.

Appreciate your help.

Cheryl

Tell the car rental company how you will be arriving to pick up the car and the anticipated time. All rental companies will hold the car for a certain amount of time after for late arrivals. Ask them what their policy is and the length.

Archived