NCL and Indpendance / United States

Hobbsey

Does anyone (hint to the HOST) know what, if anything, is going on with NCL and their announced plan to return both SS United States and Independance to US flagged service?

Nearly everyday I see Independance sitting at a service dock at Mare Island looking lonely and rusty. I'd love to cruise her!

1968 Lurline (Matson)

1969 Mariposa (Matson)

1998 Seabreeze (Premier)

1998 Century (Celebrity)

1999 Seabreeze (Premier)

1999 Norwegian Crown (NCL)

1999 Voyager of the Seas (RCL)

2000 Westerdam (HAL)

2000 Carnival Victory (CCL)

2000 Sensation (CCL)

2001 Mercury (Celebrity)

2001 Norwegian Majesty (NCL)

2001 Vision of the Seas (RCL)

2002 Norwegian Wind (NCL)

2004 Maasdam (HAL)

Good question.

The SS United States has a similar fate in Philly. I would like to see her return, but the recent fate of the Norway doesn't bode very well for them. They may be better off financially building new ships designed for freestyle.

I was on Norwegian Wind in April and at the

Latitudes party, the captain said that NCL

was definitely going to bring back the United

States. He even said that she would be sailing again in year 2006 or 2007.

As much as we would all like to take the Captain's often optimistic viewpoint for fact, I think SS Norway herself proved that there is always, or at least almost always, misinformation being fed accidently out of a company or cruise line.

I read numerous posts where "The Captain said Norway will definitely return!" coupled with other posts saying the opposite.

I think time will be the true deciding factor for the fate of these ships, and we must all just sit and wait to see what happens.

Remember it wasn't too long ago that NCL itself was insisting the Norway would return to service in Spring 2004 (see July press releases).

:-)

Gary Kulash

www.badelephant.com

Carnival Holiday 8/02

NCL Majesty 1/03

NCL Norway 5/25/03

NCL Sea 7/03

Celebrity Galaxy 3/04

Celebrity Mercury 10/04

HAL Zuiderdam 12/04

The one difference between the United States and the Norway is that the SS U.S. is a United States hull... which (as I understand it) makes a huge difference for U.S. flagging. According to the S.S. United States website NCL's naval architects were in Philadelphia recently inspecting the ship, and apparently they've tracked down almost all of the original blueprints. Read it here...

I'll still believe it when I see it, but it just might happen.

Phil

I would certainly think that bringing back the United States would have some great marketing advantages. First she would appeal to all of us nostalgia buffs who like the Norway. Secondly as stated earlier she is US flagged which appeals to patriotic US citizens.

I know it's not likely but if the US had the equivilent to the original horsepower she would best the speed of the QM2 by several knots. I would love the watch the US do circles around the QM2.

How wonderful it would be for the United States to sail again! I would be among the first in line to sail her. My grandfather sailed her years ago from Europe to the US for my parents wedding. I would love to continue the family legacy by sailing her at least once.

NCL Dawn 11/02/03

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2003;11;2;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

One guess is both ships are being held to keep them away from other lines to protect the US-Flag- NCL America business from competition.

Building new US-Flag ships would be very costly, would require Congress to authorize massive subsidies, etc.

If business is good, it might be worthwhile to rebuild one or both. Right now, with all the troubles (POA/Norway etc) they likely don't have the money.

I am not going along with the theory they conspired to mislead us on the Norway. The NTSB report is still not out, (so that they can't make repairs even if they wanted to) and who could have predicted current high oil prices.

EW101,

Good points all around.

1968 Lurline (Matson)

1969 Mariposa (Matson)

1998 Seabreeze (Premier)

1998 Century (Celebrity)

1999 Seabreeze (Premier)

1999 Norwegian Crown (NCL)

1999 Voyager of the Seas (RCL)

2000 Westerdam (HAL)

2000 Carnival Victory (CCL)

2000 Sensation (CCL)

2001 Mercury (Celebrity)

2001 Norwegian Majesty (NCL)

2001 Vision of the Seas (RCL)

2002 Norwegian Wind (NCL)

2004 Maasdam (HAL)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ew101:

One guess is both ships are being held to keep them away from other lines to protect the US-Flag- NCL America business from competition.

Building new US-Flag ships would be very costly, would require Congress to authorize massive subsidies, etc.

If business is good, it might be worthwhile to rebuild one or both. Right now, with all the troubles (POA/Norway etc) they likely don't have the money.

I am not going along with the theory they conspired to mislead us on the Norway. The NTSB report is still not out, (so that they can't make repairs even if they wanted to) and who could have predicted current high oil prices.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I aggree good points for sure. As I recall from my bridge tour the Norway got 1 foot to the gallon. If prices continue to rise all our SUVs may go the way of the Norway as well.

Seaward 1/89,Southward II 1/91,Windward 10/93,

Norway 3/94,4/96

Dreamward 4/97

Dream 12/99

QE2 4/02

Carnival Spirit 7/02

NCL Sun 10/03

NCL Dawn 2/03,7/03,2/04

No Clock = No Next Cruise

Archived