Galveston - Rental Car drop-off at Port?

mrsfuzzmo

Hello my trusty CC friends. i am wondering if you can rent a car at HOU (of course you can), but then drop it off at the Port? If so, which car companies can we book for this?

Thanks!

There are many threads and comments about this issue.

Believe methods change often based upon rental car companys policies change to meet demand. For up to date info contact Enterprise Hertz and maybe others. Hopefully rental service changes are being made for more ships and more passengers being in Galveston needing service!

We live here and use Cornerstone Elite Limo to airports for out of town cruises. You might consider this for non cruise day service.

I researched for months and theres no rental place open on sundays,in galveston and the airport is about an hour away

not sure what days you are cruising, but most people get a shuttle, towncar, etc for getting to and from the airport, to the port

we just booked with Z limo for 91 total each way 3 people,

which was cheaper than a shuttle or taxi,

also had the option of renting the car for the length of the cruise and parking at the cruise terminal , but felt it was a waste...

theres a lot of threads about it,

good luck,

looks like their hours are minimal on weekends

so if you are coming in fri before it might work

Monday 7:30 am 6:00 pm Tuesday 7:30 am 6:00 pm Wednesday 7:30 am 6:00 pm Thursday 7:30 am 6:00 pm Friday 7:30 am 6:00 pm Saturday 9:00 am Noon Sunday Closed

We had a rental booked on a Sun to get to the port and called Cornerstone Elite for the next Sun for return to the airport. They seemed so competent on the phone and a reasonable price (SUV $100 + tip for 4 of us each way) that we decided to skip the rental hassle and have them do both ways. They were in touch the night before to arrange pick up procedure, monitored the flight time and were there with water to drink on the way. Smartly dressed driver, super clean Suburban, easy, easy, easy. And we arranged it all on the Friday before we left on Sun.

They also monitored the ship arrival (I also texted them our timeframe as we learned it) and were there waiting when we cleared customs.

All in all, we highly recommend the private car pick up idea no matter which company you choose. So easy.

i have booked a one way trip from HOU to Galveston. dropped of our luggage, returned the car to the rental agency, and then they shuttled us to the ship. I will have to find my notebook with all of the info as i cannot remember which rental agency i used.

I do remember I was so lucky as they must have been desperate for cars as they did not charge me a one way fee and i got a super deal. it cost dh & i less than $20 I believe.

I'll check tomorrow and see if I can find out. Sometimes, you can book online one way, and sometimes you are better to call the local office.

• 1 year later...

Hi there, we are first time cruisers and will be visiting Texas for first time - two adults, two children - flying into IAH - we are renting a car at AVIS for a couple of days - booked on Avis.com - pick up at the airport on Thurs to go around houston and galveston, and dropping it to Texas City/Galveston for Sunday morning - Sears Auto Centre open 10 am-2pm. Costs approx $70 to rent for three days. Avis has a shuttle to transport you from the auto centre in galveston to the cruise - just have to book it - approx 20 mins drive - costs $50 for all of us combined. Worth it to us, as we want our own car to vacation and explore with the children prior to the cruise and do some attractions! We have a car booked for when we get off the cruise at Avis as well - to drive back to IAH. Hope this helps!

• 1 year later...
Hi there, we are first time cruisers and will be visiting Texas for first time - two adults, two children - flying into IAH - we are renting a car at AVIS for a couple of days - booked on Avis.com - pick up at the airport on Thurs to go around houston and galveston, and dropping it to Texas City/Galveston for Sunday morning - Sears Auto Centre open 10 am-2pm. Costs approx $70 to rent for three days. Avis has a shuttle to transport you from the auto centre in galveston to the cruise - just have to book it - approx 20 mins drive - costs $50 for all of us combined. Worth it to us, as we want our own car to vacation and explore with the children prior to the cruise and do some attractions! We have a car booked for when we get off the cruise at Avis as well - to drive back to IAH. Hope this helps!

Who did you call to book the shuttle?? Enterprise are being useless and so looks like Avis is going to be the option for us.