Maui road to hanna

JPGirl750

We are going to be in Maui on a Princess cruise and we are thinking of renting a car and going on the road trip to Hana. We don't want to be rushed but it sounds to me like an 8 hour car ride (we are only in Maui for around 10 hours). Is it worth doing this road trip even if we only go half way? Are there places to stop to eat lunch at along that road?

We are going to be in Maui on a Princess cruise and we are thinking of renting a car and going on the road trip to Hana. We don't want to be rushed but it sounds to me like an 8 hour car ride (we are only in Maui for around 10 hours). Is it worth doing this road trip even if we only go half way? Are there places to stop to eat lunch at along that road?

Four of us rented a car and did the drive. All of us said the same thing when we reached Hana...IS THIS IT?

As a driver you can only watch the road. Wife and friends said they could only watch me watch the road.

Water falls along the way, but nothing that great.....

BTW, one accident on the road can shut it down for hours.

As you can gather from my responses..NOT WORTH IT!

I have to agree...if you want to kill some time, go for it. It's not as awesome as you are told....just a very loooong and bumpy car ride! Many rental places will give you a disclaimer about taking their vehicle on the Road to Hana. There were really no eating places...there was a general store....got a couple candy bars to hold us over!

I'm sure you can find more things to do than drive all day long!

I may never get to Hawaii again in my life, so I want to do it all...I know that is not possible, but I don't not want to do Road to Hana and regret it. If we go 1/2 way and decide that this isn't for us....we can turn around. Any other suggestions for Maui would be appreciated. We are getting up early the next morning to watch the sunrise on Halakela, but don't have any plans after than (nap perhaps...lol)

We did the road and enjoyed it. Stopped in the bamboo forests, stopped at beaches, had banana bread and stopped whenever and wherever we felt like it. Hana itself is not the point. The point is the journey. I borrowed Maui Revealed from the library and it gives you some of the stops on the way. You do have to pick and choose your stops and pick what is important to you. Did I miss something else by doing the road? I am sure, but I felt all the stops on the way gave me a feel for the island. If my bucket list gets short enough I will return to Hawaii someday, and it will probably be Maui I go back to, because the road made us appreciate the beauty of the island. Good luck. There are so many choices and so little time. Hawaii is beautiful. Enjoy every day and go with the flow. Stop and smell the roses (hibiscus!!! ) and you will not have a bad day in Hawaii.

We have been to Maui on multiple times and have actually driven the road twice. If you are staying for a week, yes take a day and drive. Going for one day, no. You can see so many other things in the time you will be there. Go upcountry, Maui Ocean Center, Iao Valley, or Paia. :)

Well the first time we went to Hawaii we did the RTH. However we were staying in a hotel and had no time constraint... Being that you are in Maui only 8 hours... I would hit the Iao Vally and Halakela even if it isn't for sunrise or set...

The Hana road is one of my favs in Hawaii (and I live in Hawaii). Whenever I stop at Maui on a cruise I take the tour to Hana (let them drive - it is a hard road to drive with so many twists and turns - you may get seasick andyou can't look at the great scenery while you are driving - and the tour will know if there are any road problems along the way as it is a very small road - one way in some places). Hana is a quaint little place worth seeing. A little bit further is a little old church where Charles Lindberg is buried. He lived in the area in his "golden" years.

we were on a guided excursion from NCL. I recommend that so the driver can appreciate the tour as well. DUe to road conditions the driver must be alert and pay attention due to all the hair pin turns and narrow road. We enjoyed our Hana trip it was beautiful and our guide was very knowledgable. People muist expect a more relaxed atmosphere w no gltiz and glamour w this tour and area of maui. I loved the tour

@ Kellie Poodle - we are looking at doing the Hana Highway - but with Temptation tours, don't want to be driving for 10 or more hours! If you are short time they do the Hana Sky Trek - Drive up, look at all the lovely stuff when you do stops, have lunch and a swim in either beach or waterfall - not sure if you are the one who chooses and then helicopter on the way back - best of all worlds - seems to have good reviews only about five hours I think http://www.temptationtours.com/c-8-hana-sky-trek.aspx

If you go before May - let me know what you thought of it!!!

Megs

@ Kellie Poodle - we are looking at doing the Hana Highway - but with Temptation tours, don't want to be driving for 10 or more hours! If you are short time they do the Hana Sky Trek - Drive up, look at all the lovely stuff when you do stops, have lunch and a swim in either beach or waterfall - not sure if you are the one who chooses and then helicopter on the way back - best of all worlds - seems to have good reviews only about five hours I think http://www.temptationtours.com/c-8-hana-sky-trek.aspx

If you go before May - let me know what you thought of it!!!

Megs

Megs,

Thanks for the link. This tour sounds fabulous. I will look into it further.

When we were in Maui, we rented a car and did the road to hana. i wasnt feeling vey good when we started out that morning, and all the twisting roads gave me motion sickness. i really did not enjoy the whole experience. We did make it all the way to hana, and for how long the drive was, my first thought was, thats it? i guess some people like this type to experience, but i wish i had skipped it and done some thing else, anything else.

Archived