Opinions for 4 night Bahamas Cruise

FoghornLeghorn

I've been asked to plan a Cruise for 6 - 8 people - we all went to school and church together.

NONE of them have been on a cruise before (except me)

We're all in our 50's.

None of us drink.

Kids wouldn't be an issue.

They want to relax.

They only want to try a 4 day cruise and now have decided on October. Limits me in what I can suggest.

I'm concerned that the ships available are older and the rooms aren't very big.

(would this turn them off from cruising again?)

Can you give me your opinion as to what ship you think would work best? We'll probably all do Oceanviews.

The ships available are:

Norwegian Sky

Carnival Fascination

Carnival Sensation

Carnival Ectasy

RCL Monarach of the Seas

RCL Majesty of the Seas

Thanks for your valued opinions!

Those short cruises are generally known as party (drink) until you drop cruises. People like to shove 7 days of partying into four or five days. If you can persuade them, perhaps a 7 day cruise which would also give you a bigger choice of ships.

If a short cruise is all you can do, then I suggest Monarch. That ship seems to have a bit less wear than others.

You are correct, those are all older ships without all the amenities of the newer ships.

I have not done these ship so can't recommend which one is better.

I notice that you had previously done the Disney Dream on a short Bahamas cruise so you know how much you paid and what you received. Albeit the difference in cabin category and time of sailing, you know roughly how much the Disney Dream OV cabin in October will cost, and also what some of the other ships you'ved listed there will cost, and the total difference in cost, roughly.

Just be prepared to manage your own expectation and your fellow cruisers' expectation. The experience will likely be different.

We're going on a group cruise (7 families) on the Monarch of the Seas!

We chose the Monarch because of the day it departs (that was an important factor for the group), it leaves from Port Canaveral (also important for us), and it goes to CocoCay rather than Freeport.

I don't think the smaller ships will turn them off from cruising again. If they've never been on a cruise, they don't know what to expect. I know that many people do the 4-night Bahamas cruises as their first and like it so much that they want to do it, again (our first cruise was actually a 4-night Bahamas on the Disney Magic).

I like to take people on Royal Caribbean first because I feel like it's the mass-market line that is most consistent with traditional cruising.

You didn't say where you are coming from. You might want to add Carnival's Fantasy which leaves from Charelston, SC. (We are sailing on her again in two weeks.) She goes to Nassau & Freeport on 5 day cruises. The days she leaves change because its 5 days and October has good prices. Most of Carnival's cabins are 186 sq.ft., bigger than a lot of ships.

My 1st cruise was on the Majesty in 2003. I've been hooked since. It wasn't that much of a party ship; we were among the most party people on it.

Since your friends have nothing to compare it to, they will be impressed by the sheer size of whatever "smaller, older" ship you chose. Now had they been on one of the new mamouth ships, then scaled back to one of these there could be dissappointment. But what they don't know won't hurt them.

We did a four-night New Year's cruise on the Majesty and had a great time. It was showing some signs of wear, but I would imagine it's been in drydock since then (it was 12 years ago) and been refurbished. I'd sail on it again, without hesitation, whether it was for four nights or longer. I'm guessing there'll be two to a cabin for your group. While the ocean view cabins aren't big enough for a dance party, they're plenty big enough for two.

Hi- Have been on the Carnival Fascination and the Sovereign of the Seas to the Bahamas. (The Sovereign was a sister ship to the Monarch and Majesty.)

The Oceanview staterooms on Carnival are much larger than on the RCI ships you mention.

We prefer sailing from Port Canaveral rather than Jacksonville. Which departure port do you prefer?

As to ports- Half Moon Cay and CocoCay are great beach days. Nassau has a variety of excursions available, and in Freeport many cruisers take a van taxi to Our Lucaya. Do you have excursion preferences?

APRIL: Thank you for responding. Either port is fine. Personally, I like PC better. Excursions, no preference at this point.

Beachbum: Yes, two to a cabin. And hopefully they won't be spending much time in the cabin anyway. Thanks for your response.

PATTY: Thank you. I'll check out the Liberty of the Seas.

TRISH: Good points! Thanks so much.

BONNIE: Thanks! I shall check out the Fantasy.

LITTLEMISS: I agree. I like PC better. Thanks for sharing what your group chose. Makes me consider the Majesty.

VIVA: Thanks for your response!

Thanks everyone.

I really liked the Sensation. Was on her last week with some girlfriends who had never cruised before. We picked it because the airfare to Orlando was very inexpensive and the cruise itself was a great price. We stayed on Main deck in oceanview room and it suited our needs just fine. For a full ship, it never felt overcrowded. Yes, I had to stand in line sometimes for food, but that was expected. Great entertainment and we never got bored. Didn't do any excursions as we just wanted to get away from the cold so we laid out in the sun every day and enjoyed. I will certainly continue to cruise Carnival in the future but I'm all about a great deal so if I can get one on another cruise line I would certainly try it. Oh, and Carnival has a sushi bar. Usually offered 3 different items each night. It was excellent!

Archived