Jitney bus in nassau

1948buddy

Thank you, isn't it something like $1.50 , and you can stay on as long as you want? Also, have you been to Cable beach?

Most jitney, including the #10 to Cable Beach are $1.25pp. If you stay on and ride it back to town..you should be paying $2.50.. .. still not bad for a tour of Bay St./ Cable Beach.

Where do you get that #10 bus?

I think I want to do the Sheraton day pass. But where do you pick up that bus going and on the way back?

The #10 bus loads on George Street.. near the entrance to the straw market on Bay.

It usually drops you in front of the sheraton.

On the way back.. you just walk out in front of the hotel and flag them down.

Does the number 10 just have the pickup and drop off on George Street and the Sheraton or does it also have other stops like a normal public bus? We will probably do our own walking tour, visit the pirate museum and then beach either at Junkanoo or Cable for a bit so I am wondering if there are other pickup locations for the #10 depending on where we are in our walk?

Does the number 10 just have the pickup and drop off on George Street and the Sheraton or does it also have other stops like a normal public bus? We will probably do our own walking tour, visit the pirate museum and then beach either at Junkanoo or Cable for a bit so I am wondering if there are other pickup locations for the #10 depending on where we are in our walk?

I would love to have the same information. We plan to walk around a bit and wondered if you have to catch the bus #10 at George or if there are other stops? Thanks, this is great information sharing!!

We are going to try the Jitney next time, as it is a bargain compared to a cab. We took the water taxi last time in Nassau, thought it would be a small boat like in Roatan, but it is actually quiet large, and they do not go until it is full..We were not too crazy about it. The reason we took it was to go to Paradise Island. Do not know if the Jitney goes there or not.

I would love to have the same information. We plan to walk around a bit and wondered if you have to catch the bus #10 at George or if there are other stops? Thanks, this is great information sharing!!

The only other stop in downtown nassau is the McDonalds across the street from the british colonial. Best to get on at George street.. they are usually full before they hit McDonalds..

We are going to try the Jitney next time, as it is a bargain compared to a cab. We took the water taxi last time in Nassau, thought it would be a small boat like in Roatan, but it is actually quiet large, and they do not go until it is full..We were not too crazy about it. The reason we took it was to go to Paradise Island. Do not know if the Jitney goes there or not.

There are no jitneys allowed on Paradise Island.. Atlantis management won't allow public transportation.

The only other stop in downtown nassau is the McDonalds across the street from the british colonial. Best to get on at George street.. they are usually full before they hit McDonalds..

Thank you so much for your expert advice!! We'll be sure to get on at George. Thanks again!

• 1 year later...

Just got back from 5 day cruise from Charleston to Freeport and Nassau. We did ride the #10 jitney. It was $1.25 each, each way. They run about every 5 minutes. The driver may be able to help you make change but I surrendered $3 for the wife and myself (together) and felt it was well worth it. You pay when you get off, not when you get on. The day use cost at the Sheraton (Cable Beach) was $30 and included towels, floatation cushions, beach chairs, ice water at the outdoor bar, use of the pools and bathrooms and probably kayaks and a sailboat but we didn't try either, but we saw plenty of people kayaking. The other (public) beaches didn't look bad as we rode by on the bus but we only had the one day and wanted a slam dunk. I did see folks walk through the Sheraton and go to the beach and walk around without getting the day pass but they may have only been sightseeing. We did see Frytown from the bus going in both directions but were on a budget and ate when we got back to the Fantasy. I wrote up some of our experience here:

http://glidersruminations.blogspot.com/2013/07/buses-and-bahamas.html

It was a good, fun day. The people of the Bahamas are warm and welcoming. When we asked on the street where to catch the #10, we got a ton of help from everybody. I wish we were there several days and could ride the jitney(s) all around the island. I hope you get to go.

Just got back from 5 day cruise from Charleston to Freeport and Nassau. We did ride the #10 jitney. It was $1.25 each, each way. They run about every 5 minutes. The driver may be able to help you make change but I surrendered $3 for the wife and myself (together) and felt it was well worth it. You pay when you get off, not when you get on. The day use cost at the Sheraton (Cable Beach) was $30 and included towels, floatation cushions, beach chairs, ice water at the outdoor bar, use of the pools and bathrooms and probably kayaks and a sailboat but we didn't try either, but we saw plenty of people kayaking. The other (public) beaches didn't look bad as we rode by on the bus but we only had the one day and wanted a slam dunk. I did see folks walk through the Sheraton and go to the beach and walk around without getting the day pass but they may have only been sightseeing. We did see Frytown from the bus going in both directions but were on a budget and ate when we got back to the Fantasy. I wrote up some of our experience here:

It was a good, fun day. The people of the Bahamas are warm and welcoming. When we asked on the street where to catch the #10, we got a ton of help from everybody. I wish we were there several days and could ride the jitney(s) all around the island. I hope you get to go.

Hi, thanks for the post. We are traveling to the Bahamas next week and are doing the exact same excursions as you in Nassau and Freeport. Was wondering if you could tell me where you met for the Pat and Diane snorkel tour when you disembarked? Also how crowded did the Sheraton get in Nassau? OUr ship doesn't port until 11am so I am wondering if we will have trouble getting day passes or whether I should book a room in advance. Thoughts please

@The Glider, I thoroughly enjoyed your blog, the pictures and your stories. Thank you for sharing and Happy Anniversary!

3013 Sept Carnival Ecstacy

2011 Dec Carnival Fascination

2010 Sept Carnival Elation

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi, thanks for the post. We are traveling to the Bahamas next week and are doing the exact same excursions as you in Nassau and Freeport. Was wondering if you could tell me where you met for the Pat and Diane snorkel tour when you disembarked? Also how crowded did the Sheraton get in Nassau? OUr ship doesn't port until 11am so I am wondering if we will have trouble getting day passes or whether I should book a room in advance. Thoughts please

Great info! How long is the ride to the Sheraton? Also, how do you alert the driver to stop, or is it an automatic drop off point?

Great info! How long is the ride to the Sheraton? Also ow do you alert the driver to stop, or is it an automatic drop off point?

Very sorry I am so slow in getting back. You undoubtedly are on the cruise, but for you or anybody else: Pat and Diane's has their own website and you can book your snorkel trip there and if it is rainy, etc. you don't pay until you go and won't have to worry about canceling or getting a refund. I got the trip from expedia but found out later I could have booked it directly. You can either meet at Count Basie Square (at their sales booth) by taking a van on your own or Pat shows up at the cruise terminal mid morning, assembles everybody who has booked and puts everybody on a bus. It costs $5 each way for the bus ride on the bus service they use. If you ride the bus with Pat and didn't book the trip with ground transportation included you will pay for that when you pay for the snorkeling at their booth. You will pay for the round trip and get a ticket for the return ride. You can of course ride any of the vans there and back on your own. The bus they use runs back from Count Basie on the hour and half hour. The officials at the cruise terminal all know Pat and can call his cell phone if you get nervous.

The Sheraton Cable Beach was not crowded the day we went. There were plenty of chairs available. The shade trees were hard to come by. I can't see how you'd need reservations for the Sheraton. The beach runs along the Windham/Sheraton area for quite a ways. Finding a spot to float in the water wasn't hard. I would say the day we were there it was less crowded than a beach in the states during summer. Since we've only been once, it's not a definitive judgment, only our experience. I hope you enjoy the trip.

Great info! How long is the ride to the Sheraton? Also ow do you alert the driver to stop, or is it an automatic drop off point?

It took us about 20 minutes to go from town out to Cable Beach. There is a designated stop for the Sheraton and it is popular. You can ask the operator to call the stop for you but you will see the tall hotels off to the right on the way there and pretty much know when you get there but asking is fine too. Everybody is helpful. The bus is routed on the road next to the Sheraton on the trip back so you don't have to go all the way out to Bay St., you can just walk down from the hotel entrance straight down to the nearest street and be picked up at street level. They don't come into the Sheraton but they do drive along the cross street that dumps onto Bay Street. You can also catch it back on Bay Street too across from where you got off. Either way works

Thanks. I failed to mention how much I appreciated fellow travelers (no red scare meant here) posting their experiences here and how much that helped Ruth and me plan our trip and get so much more out of it than just relying on the cruise ship's day trip info. I'm sure everybody that booked with Carnival got a good value because they get so much more hand holding out of it but you also miss out on a certain amount of local flavor and it's a decent way of both getting a personal experience and saving a couple bucks if you're willing to go it alone. I wouldn't have attempted it, however without these boards and all the great posts I was able to read prior to going. Thanks to all those who took the time to help us by making us so informed prior to the trip. And thanks, Cool Cruiser, I appreciate it.

Archived