Cool Runner Catamaran or private tour to DRF

SJpaul

Going to OchoRios with my 16 yr daughter. we want to do dunns River Falls, and not sure what else, if anything. She does not want to river tube. Shouls we do DRF via Coll Runners catamaran through the ship or book independant tour ( like Phil Lafayette ?mark Moris, Courtney Tayler?) How amny people on the Cool Runners- and how busy is the falls if you go with them?

Thanks CC

We did Cool Runnings catamaran/DRF and had a great time. They pick you up right from the cruise pier, nice scenic sail to the falls, beautiful climb. I'm guessing there were maybe 25 people on our catamaran. I would certainly recomend this tour.:)

Thanks for that answer. I saw good reviews, was just worried it was a huge crowd to climb the falls with. 25 people on the boat sounds great. I am just tryign to decide wif we really want a beach day as well... I know the beaches are not that great around ocho rios, and are planning on doing 7 mile in Cayman.

Thanks for that answer. I saw good reviews, was just worried it was a huge crowd to climb the falls with. 25 people on the boat sounds great. I am just tryign to decide wif we really want a beach day as well... I know the beaches are not that great around ocho rios, and are planning on doing 7 mile in Cayman.

They split up the group to climb the falls as well. Probably 10 people just wanted to walk up the walkway on the side and not actually get wet, they broke up the folks who were climbing the waterfalls into two groups of 7 or 8 people, pretty well spaced out. Of course, there are other people not from your ship on the falls, but not that many. Never felt hurried or crowded. There is a nice beach at the base of DRF that you can hang out at or go back and hang on the boat before they head back. Plentiful rum punch and water, redstripes are a couple bucks.

The guides that take you up the falls will take your pics on the way if you want. You'll get soaked. But if you give them your camera, somehow they keep it dry (I still just brought my cheapo point-shoot) and the pics are priceless. Good idea to bring some tip$ for those dudes.

Great info- Sounds like a plan. I am not one to ususally book a ship excursion ( only did that once in Belize for Xunantinich). I ususally book with locals before we go, but just a bit concerned that it is just my daughter and i this time around. What i was really hoping for was to find a catamaran to DRfalls and Dr Cave beach , but cant seem to get that from Ocho Rios.

Doesn't matter how many people are on your tour, the falls will have lots of people in them. Some come from resorts, some from other tours. The falls are big and you should not worry about the amount of people. What I liked about the Catamaran tour was that yes, they picked you up right at the dock. They had lots of rum, music and fun on the way out and the way back. When you arrive by water, you climb the falls to the top and walk down the walkway back to the beach, which keeps you out (for the most part) of the area where they are hawking their goods. With a land tour, you will be taken to the top of the falls where you will need to walk through all the little salesmen area and walk down the walkway and back up the falls.

We like to arrive via boat. It's not only a beautiful sail, it's fun!

We'll be in Falmouth next week on FOS, and are also considering this excursion. Problem is I can't find any private tour operator that offers this from Falmouth.

Do you know if RCI offers this through any of their tours? They have the nasty habit of always staying very generic in their tour descriptions, like "catamaran sail". Or, alternatively, do you know of any tour operators that will pick us up from Falmouth for this excursion?

Thanks!

Doesn't matter how many people are on your tour, the falls will have lots of people in them. Some come from resorts, some from other tours. The falls are big and you should not worry about the amount of people. What I liked about the Catamaran tour was that yes, they picked you up right at the dock. They had lots of rum, music and fun on the way out and the way back. When you arrive by water, you climb the falls to the top and walk down the walkway back to the beach, which keeps you out (for the most part) of the area where they are hawking their goods. With a land tour, you will be taken to the top of the falls where you will need to walk through all the little salesmen area and walk down the walkway and back up the falls.

We like to arrive via boat. It's not only a beautiful sail, it's fun!

Good point--we didn't even SEE the vendors, just walked back down the stairs and hung around the beach.

We'll be in Falmouth next week on FOS, and are also considering this excursion. Problem is I can't find any private tour operator that offers this from Falmouth.

Do you know if RCI offers this through any of their tours? They have the nasty habit of always staying very generic in their tour descriptions, like "catamaran sail". Or, alternatively, do you know of any tour operators that will pick us up from Falmouth for this excursion?

Thanks!

I would imagine you'd need a power boat to get you to DRF from Falmouth and back for the day. It's an hour by car going 60 mph, i don't think they could do it in a catamaran and get you back in time for sail-away. Just guessing. I've driven from Falmouth to DRF, and I've taken a Cat from Ochi to DRF. The sail from Ochi to DRF takes about an hour and the drive is about 10 minutes by car.

For those that have used the Cool Runnings excursion to DRF, were there many children on board (ages 10 - 15)? Was the drinking excessive or many obnoxious drunks?

There were some kids, not allot. They only break our the hard stuff on the sail back, maybe 45 minutes, so not allot of time to have 'obnoxious drunks'.

If you just want to do DRF just get a taxi. Tour guides only do transport to the falls and not on them or inside the park(they don't guide you on the falls), just like cabs. If you want to tour other places then yes, a tour package or with the ship.

Cool Runnings is one of our favorite excursions. We've done this twice, and we're planning on it again in August. It's a blast! The guides are entertaining and very experienced in leading folks (human-chain style) up the falls. For those who cannot make the climb, there is an alternative route which they will direct you to. First class operation, and one of the only "ship-sponsored" tours we do!

Archived