Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Hey there buddy.......a question!

When I still had license insurance' date=' the first thing they told everyone in the meetings about what to do if you have a problem, was to keep your mouth shut!

Why does his attys. let him keep opening his mouth? Seems to me the more he says, the deeper the hole he is digging for himself???

AKK[/quote']

Tonka, almost since his first interview I have questioned the wisdom of his lawyers allowing him to speak. My take, they can't stop this egotistical idiot from talking. I believe he wants to convince not only those that follow this case but also himself that he is nothing but a scapegoat for the big bad company.

I will admit to listening to only half of this interview as I couldn't take any more. He has added "gravity" to his reason for ending up in a lifeboat to go along with "fell" and "tripped." Then it was on to how incompetent his staff was, the helmsman that didn't follow orders, etc. He doesn't like that he may face years in jail vs his staff that only got what he considers "months." Save it for court Captain.

As to the "random people" comment I don't believe that was meant to be an insult to the talk show host. The host is just one among many that the Captain has used to sell his story.

Hey there buddy.......a question!

When I still had license insurance' date=' the first thing they told everyone in the meetings about what to do if you have a problem, was to keep your mouth shut!

Why does his attys. let him keep opening his mouth? Seems to me the more he says, the deeper the hole he is digging for himself???

AKK[/quote']

Oh well, some clients know better than their lawyers ... ;)

Damn, got sucked into watching this tripe;

A few things I observed, and Skipper, weigh in on these, as you're the bridge expert.

1. He claims in the interview that he only intervened when he "saw the foam ahead" and gave the hard starboard command, when in fact he had the conn and was giving helm instructions for 4 min 50 sec before the hard starboard command.

2. He states that the helmsman's failure to follow his commands (not given in the working language of Costa) caused the stern to strike the rock, yet there is barely 45 seconds between the time Schettino gave the hard starboard command and the collision with the rock. Further, if it was his intention to avoid swinging the stern into the rock, why did he give 3 intermediate commands (midships, port 10, port 20) before giving the necessary hard port command?

3. He says there have been simulations that show that if the helmsman had steered as commanded, the ship would have missed the rock. Where are these results? Anyone here heard of them?

4. He says the bridge officers are promoted too quickly, with insufficient experience. It is then his responsibility to train those officers to his level of competency (no jokes here), if he feels there is a deficiency.

5. He says that he doesn't believe you can evacuate 5000 people in 30 minutes. Then why did he hesitate to initiate the muster? At least get the preliminary steps out of the way. He says there is no way to count that many people in time, which is why he didn't feel it was necessary to return, or some such. Again, start the muster early, if you don't subsequently have to abandon, everyone goes back to their cabins, with the promise of free drinks.

6. He states that it is necessary to discuss with SOMEONE ASHORE whether it is necessary to abandon ship, and that it takes at least an hour to reach this decision. That's what he is being paid for, and the DP ashore is to advise him, not the other way around. He is the Captain, the one who, by law, is responsible for those decisions.

I believe Schettino was himself promoted way before his experience level warranted.

I wonder if the cell phone that kept ringing during the interview was his lawyer saying "shut up"?

I have been monitoring the progress of the salvage process on Giglio News web site since the beginning and this thread a while ago which I also follow although never participated. To answer the question about the lifeboats, they were sent to some place not far from Giglio called Talamone shortly after the accident. There is a site with pictures of the boats being put by a crane in some place near the beach.

http://iltirreno.gelocal.it/foto-e-video/2012/01/22/fotogalleria/le-scialuppe-depositate-a-talamone-1.3094628

And then it appears that as of last May the boats were still there and some people want them out.

http://firenze.repubblica.it/cronaca/2013/03/27/news/concordia_scialuppe_sulla_spiaggia_protestano_gli_abitanti_di_talamone-55480226/

I have been monitoring the progress of the salvage process on Giglio News web site since the beginning and this thread a while ago which I also follow although never participated. To answer the question about the lifeboats, they were sent to some place not far from Giglio called Talamone shortly after the accident. There is a site with pictures of the boats being put by a crane in some place near the beach.

http://iltirreno.gelocal.it/foto-e-video/2012/01/22/fotogalleria/le-scialuppe-depositate-a-talamone-1.3094628

And then it appears that as of last May the boats were still there and some people want them out.

http://firenze.repubblica.it/cronaca/2013/03/27/news/concordia_scialuppe_sulla_spiaggia_protestano_gli_abitanti_di_talamone-55480226/

Yes, given a criminal case is ongoing, the boats are probably still considered possible evidence.

Thanks for the links.

Not being a lawyer I wasn't sure if they had to be held as evidence, in which case they could not be used elsewhere.

Really can't blame folks for wanting them removed. Just as original plans for the removal of Concordia have been delayed, the same can be said of the boats.

Hopefully next year will see all these folks getting their lives back to normal.

A few things I observed, and Skipper, weigh in on these, as you're the bridge expert.

1. He claims in the interview that he only intervened when he "saw the foam ahead" and gave the hard starboard command, when in fact he had the conn and was giving helm instructions for 4 min 50 sec before the hard starboard command.

2. He states that the helmsman's failure to follow his commands (not given in the working language of Costa) caused the stern to strike the rock, yet there is barely 45 seconds between the time Schettino gave the hard starboard command and the collision with the rock. Further, if it was his intention to avoid swinging the stern into the rock, why did he give 3 intermediate commands (midships, port 10, port 20) before giving the necessary hard port command?

3. He says there have been simulations that show that if the helmsman had steered as commanded, the ship would have missed the rock. Where are these results? Anyone here heard of them?

4. He says the bridge officers are promoted too quickly, with insufficient experience. It is then his responsibility to train those officers to his level of competency (no jokes here), if he feels there is a deficiency.

5. He says that he doesn't believe you can evacuate 5000 people in 30 minutes. Then why did he hesitate to initiate the muster? At least get the preliminary steps out of the way. He says there is no way to count that many people in time, which is why he didn't feel it was necessary to return, or some such. Again, start the muster early, if you don't subsequently have to abandon, everyone goes back to their cabins, with the promise of free drinks.

6. He states that it is necessary to discuss with SOMEONE ASHORE whether it is necessary to abandon ship, and that it takes at least an hour to reach this decision. That's what he is being paid for, and the DP ashore is to advise him, not the other way around. He is the Captain, the one who, by law, is responsible for those decisions.

I believe Schettino was himself promoted way before his experience level warranted.

I wonder if the cell phone that kept ringing during the interview was his lawyer saying "shut up"?

I think that WAS his lawyer calling to tell him to shut up - I found it very interesting to watch his fidgety movements, his eye movement, and his facial expressions during that interview! I'm not an attorney, but I've served on a jury before, I have a little knowledge of psycholinguistics, and if I were his attorney, I would not want him to testify in open court based on what I saw in that interview. He just looks like he's making things up. He's constantly touching himself, rubbing his chest and his neck, and rarely makes direct eye contact with the interviewer. He comes off as a narcissistic egomaniac who is working hard at inventing plausible stories to justify his actions. And interestingly enough, he gives off a 'just between you and me' vibe in that interview that undoubtedly he thinks will make himself more likable and credible. Not!

I kept expecting him to drill the camera with a Jon Lovitt type stare, raise his eyebrows, and say "Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket!":D

The only thing he could do now to dig himself a bigger hole would be to suddenly get caught texting a photo of his 'junk' to the young lady he was entertaining on the bridge.:o:p:o (Sorry....:o.....couldn't resist....)

Judy

Random people? This was an interview by dutch talkshow hosts. http://www.eo.nl/tv/knevelenvandenbrink/artikel-detail/frederik-van-wijnen/ Gives you an opportunity to try out your dutch language skills :-)

Thanks but that info wasn't posted when the video was initially uploaded to YouTube - they subsequently added that link -- the interviewer did talk about the Dutch people in the interview but it was not known what show or station it came from or whether it was done by a major network or amateur videographer.

Maybe random people wasn't the best choice of words -- I will say most professional journalists don't let their interviewees ramble on and on and on nor use that backdrop (did anyone say fishnet stockings?) with phone and computer noises in the background. Don't know if it's due to a Dutchman interviewing an Italian in a language that is neither's first language that makes it so quirky -- but that's one looooong strange monologue. ;)

I think that WAS his lawyer calling to tell him to shut up - I found it very interesting to watch his fidgety movements, his eye movement, and his facial expressions during that interview! I'm not an attorney, but I've served on a jury before, I have a little knowledge of psycholinguistics, and if I were his attorney, I would not want him to testify in open court based on what I saw in that interview. He just looks like he's making things up. He's constantly touching himself, rubbing his chest and his neck, and rarely makes direct eye contact with the interviewer. He comes off as a narcissistic egomaniac who is working hard at inventing plausible stories to justify his actions. And interestingly enough, he gives off a 'just between you and me' vibe in that interview that undoubtedly he thinks will make himself more likable and credible. Not!

I kept expecting him to drill the camera with a Jon Lovitt type stare, raise his eyebrows, and say "Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket!":D

The only thing he could do now to dig himself a bigger hole would be to suddenly get caught texting a photo of his 'junk' to the young lady he was entertaining on the bridge.:o:p:o (Sorry....:o.....couldn't resist....)

Judy

Weiner's Italian twin? :eek:

Your observations remind me of an analysis a body language expert did on Schettino's very first interview to the press after the accident which confirms he's a lying egomaniac:

Edited by cruiserfanfromct

Not the skipper but feeling compelled to interject, FWIW. You did a brilliant job of refuting all his asinine grasping at straws arguements -- prosecutors please take note.

As for the promotion bit, couldn't help but chuckle -- Schettino himself is a classic case of the Peter (Principio di Pietro) Principle.

As for the promotion bit, couldn't help but chuckle -- Schettino himself is a classic case of the Peter (Principio di Pietro) Principle.

I agree...and I appreciate (:o) the double entendre of the Peter Principle, given his apparent intentions and priorities that night on the bridge. Just saying'....;)

Judy

Weiner's Italian twin? :eek: ROTFL!

Your observations remind me of an analysis a body language expert did on Schettino's very first interview to the press after the accident which confirms he's a lying egomaniac:

I wish that fella would do the same with this latest video.

As I said earlier, I could only watch about 10 minutes. All that movement of body and eyes was distracting. Told me he's grasping for anything to make himself look better.

I wish that fella would do the same with this latest video.

As I said earlier, I could only watch about 10 minutes. All that movement of body and eyes was distracting. Told me he's grasping for anything to make himself look better.

I would also love it if he did! I'll try to see if I can find an e-mail address for him and request it.

Below is the blackbox tape of Schettino telling the Helmsman a few seconds before impact that he would hit the rocks if he didn't do the manuever correctly - so at that point Schettino KNEW he was pretty damn close to the rocks and it appears the helmsman made the correct move. Where the helmsman might have made a mistake is AFTER impact - at this point whether he made a mistake or not is moot. It also appears that Schettino changed his mind from "hard to starboard" to "hard to port". Note to Schettino: the Blackbox doesn't lie.

CT, that would be so cool if you could locate the guy. Course I think we already know what he will say. ;)

As far as the black box, Schettino won't let anything like facts stand in his way. :rolleyes:

I've located him and put in the request - will let you know if and when he responds. I can just hear him shouting from the rooftops "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire" :D

Schettino has me baffled. :confused: I listened to this audio recording of the blackbox published by Canada's Fifth Estate. From minute 9:00 into the recording to minute 10:11 (moment of impact) you can hear the helmsman repeating and supposedly following Schettino's exact orders. No one says anything about the helmsman making any mistakes.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2012-2013/2012/12/black-box-audio.html

I've located him and put in the request - will let you know if and when he responds. I can just hear him shouting from the rooftops "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire" :D

Schettino has me baffled. :confused: I listened to this audio recording of the blackbox published by Canada's Fifth Estate. From minute 9:00 into the recording to minute 10:11 (moment of impact) you can hear the helmsman repeating and supposedly following Schettino's exact orders. No one says anything about the helmsman making any mistakes.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2012-2013/2012/12/black-box-audio.html

CT;

While I agree that it appears the helmsman repeated the orders correctly, there were a few heading orders that I did not hear repeated (could be faint on the recording), but that would have been up to the conning officer (Schettino) to repeat the order until it was acknowledged. Also, you need to match the VDR (voyage data recorder) with the audio to see whether the helmsman actually followed up with action what he was acknowledging. This is what was done in the Italian official report. The VDR records ship speed, position, heading, and rudder angle, among other things. I still don't think he did anything wrong enough to have caused or that if done correctly would have prevented the collision.

Saw something really interesting in the weekly report. On page 26, there are photos of a platform that appears to hold two diesel generators and a hydraulic pumping skid. This is mounted in free swinging pivots on caisson #10, so that as the ship rights itself, the platform will maintain level for the diesels. It appears that these will be installed on the "tall" caissons #6 and #10, and these will most likely control the port side cable/chains pulling to the undersea platforms, and the strand jacks for this side's pulling will be on the caissons, as seen in the photos on the next page.

Well there this story and all the others he said was fact.

As he was giving commands he had indeed taken the conn. One has to wonder what else he was doing.

As I remember from years ago, from midship, is takes about 10 to 15 seconds for a rudder to go hard left or right. Seems 45 second whatever the rudder command would not have made much if any difference when he let his vessel in that close.

The Master , with the com, and 2 to 4 duty Deck Officers on the bridge, at least 1 to all of which had the duty to watch the engine order,/Rpms and direction and to see that the rudder commands were properly followed. The error in the order response should have been caught in 2 seconds the corrected..........BY SOMEONE/ ANYONE!

Wrong language.

What he seems to be ignoring is he let his vessel get into such a dangerous position in the first place.

There are simulators that would fairly correctly show what the vessel would have done, seems if they show the Captain was right , It would have been in the reports and news. Hell the defense team could hire simulator time and do their own reenactment and present the findings.

Well, He is the prime example! If they were not up to handling their jobs, he should have had them relieved and been training them. Just another reason He should have been on the bridge a hour before getting near the *showboating* island.

Lets be honest here, everything reported about his handling of the Masters position was how good he was entertaining the passengers.

TOTALLY CORRECT! If we go back, he told the ICG that he could not go back to the vessel because it was dark out! #0 minute or 10 hours, you start the process!

BULLS___T! Him and him alone makes that decision. What he should have done is as soon as he heard water coming on board, is get people to the muster stations, close the watertight doors.

I would have had a duty officer call and tell the DP/RP in the office that they had run aground and were taking on water and the Master will call back as soon as he had reliable details. Then and only then may the RP opinion on how to handle things maybe discussed.

If the office lackey was going to make the decisions, why do you need the Master?........ok.....that was a bit cheeky.

He even lied to the ICG and said that it was only a power black out.

Agreed, he was a pretty boy Master, hired because he seems to have been good at the ladies/ passengers happy!

Why???...........he's like the evil Queen in Snow White looking in the Mirror......she just has to keep looking to see her pretty face.......with him, its heard his voice, and keep trying to talk his way out

Bottom Line:

He should have been on the bridge, with the conn at least 30 minutes before the vessel even got close to the island. Entertaining his girlfriend and passengers' in the dining room is far 2nd in his responsibilities.

His speed was way to fast................5 knots, not 15 is more to my thinking safe and still giving good steerage way.

If he had been on the bridge, we may have noticed that the vessel had slipped closer to shore then even he wanted and could have gotten her back off shore some, in which case we all would not be having this discussion. IMHO, never closer then a mile form the beach. At a mile off, if something goes wrong, at least you have a little time to react.

IMHO, and yes I was mostly Tankers, and we take much care to never run aground because of the pollution aspect, but passenger lives in my mind are even more important. These fly by showboating things by vessel of this size, are totally unnecessary, unsafe and in this case with the deaths, criminal. I have 32 dead bodies, some children to back up my statement.

Its kind a like taking a 18 wheeler onto the side walk, at 60 MPH....... Yes you can do it, but it's asking for problems.

*step off the soap box*, thank you for your kind attention.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Thanks, Skipper;

It should take 30 seconds for the rudder to actually swing from hard one way to hard the other. And you know better than I do, how painful the time can be between the rudder actually swinging, and the ship starting to turn. He was way to late with way too little.

The guys talking about body language got me thinking of Rodney Dangerfield; Schettino isn't "getting any respect" either, and he looks it.