Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Ooops should have been Alang but one letter wrong is pretty good for me. Alang is the place in India where a lot of ships are beached and dismantled.

Lone has just left La Spezia heading for Livorno.

No worries. India and Bangladesh are some pretty scary places when it comes to chopping up ships into razor blades.

You could be right BE, she is moving very slow about 4/5 knots and is already approaching half way to Livorno but I think they will have to load in the middle of the night for her to sail to Giglio. Not sure of the journey time from Livorno to Giglio, but as Cheng said Micoperi 30 has already pulled away for some reason

You could be right BE, she is moving very slow about 4/5 knots and is already approaching half way to Livorno but I think they will have to load in the middle of the night for her to sail to Giglio. Not sure of the journey time from Livorno to Giglio, but as Cheng said Micoperi 30 has already pulled away for some reason

I thought the P13 caisson was left in Genoa? Maybe it is in the hold, and the blister is on deck. Maybe we can get a webcam picture when it is in Livorno.

Is it just my eyes deceiving me, or is the lower corner of the caisson towards the bow of CC (using the new Giglio news camera on zoom) lower than it was, i.e. on the water line as opposed to above it? It's almost as if the side of CC has compacted slightly under the weight of the caissons.

& why has Micoperi 30 kept at a distance away with a number of small boats hovering around as though they are inspecting the caissons?

Hope I'm wrong, maybe I just had too much wine last night!!.......

Could it be the tide CTH

Morning Clive, now realise my mistake after looking @ the last weekly report photos. The lower corners of the caissons toward the rear of CC are above the water line, but as they progress towards the bow they drop to the water line. I hadn't allowed for the fact that CC isn't lying perfectly level, bow to stern, although very close to level. The caissons follow accordingly.

So have to confess I think it was the wine rather than the tide! Coincidentally it was Italian!

Still strange to see Micoperi anchored a distance away since last night though. This normally only happens during storms or Xmas Day! She also doesn't normally move until Svenja / Lone actually arrive on site. Maybe her work is complete for now?

CTH

Good morning CTH.

No problems, you had an idea and told us about it, that's what this thread is all about. At least you had the excuse of a good Italian wine.

I notice the weather in Giglio has gone very dark as if there is a storm coming, perhaps this is why Micoperi has pulled away. I suspect she has a lot more work to do before she is finished.

Have a good day.

Lone is in Livorno, with a stated destination of Piombino. Don't know what to make of the "cook's tour" of the Tuscan coast. Micoperi is back on the wreck, tied up stern to, near the bow of Concordia. Looks like they will be using the small crane for some work in the bow area.

Tried to find a webcam of Livorno, but nothing covers the industrial part of the port.

Well, that's it friends. I'm signing off, flying to Houston this morning, for 2.5 months of fun in the sun "cruising" the Gulf of Mexico.

Happy parbuckling.

I thought the P13 caisson was left in Genoa? Maybe it is in the hold, and the blister is on deck. Maybe we can get a webcam picture when it is in Livorno.

According to this excerpt from the weekly report, P13 was sent to Livorno for inspection:

"Issues, risks, general notes:

Removal operations have continued this week with the installation of

caissons thrust P4 and P5. The last of the boxes to be placed on the side of the Costa emerged Concordia before straightening, the caisson P13, will be installed by mid-August. During the installation attempt performed on 29 July, following a contact with the left side of the Costa Concordia, during stance, the P13 suffered a slight shock: in order to verify the structure of the grid, the box body was sent back at Livorno for verification. The activity does not affect, however, the trial program established for the parbuckling."

Lone is in Livorno, with a stated destination of Piombino. Don't know what to make of the "cook's tour" of the Tuscan coast. Micoperi is back on the wreck, tied up stern to, near the bow of Concordia. Looks like they will be using the small crane for some work in the bow area.

Tried to find a webcam of Livorno, but nothing covers the industrial part of the port.

Well, that's it friends. I'm signing off, flying to Houston this morning, for 2.5 months of fun in the sun "cruising" the Gulf of Mexico.

Happy parbuckling.

Thanks for your insight over the past weeks, stay safe at work.

Lone headed for Piombino. Last week's Gantt chart is practically unreadable but it looks like it says Lone to Piombino to pick up P13, then has tomorrow (Saturday) blocked in with what looks like "Lifting P13" and welding operations beginning Sunday so I'd look for her to be back on the Giglio webcam tomorrow.

This was in an article in Giglio News.

As far as the port of destination for disposal, we reiterate that if presents all warranties due, the port of Piombino in view of the precariousness of the ship for its proximity is the best destination. In fact according to the project of removing it is estimated that the Concordia viaggerebbe the average one and a half miles per hour in flat calm conditions. Just make two calculations to understand that to get to Piombino, it would take nearly two days of sailing from of the over 13 days it took to get to Palermo. "

Lone headed for Piombino. I'd look for her to be back on the Giglio webcam tomorrow.

Lone now heading for Giglio @ full speed, should be on the webcam in an hour or so!

A little late, but hope you have a safe trip Cheng, look forward to your return!

CTH

Here we go, the webcam in the harbour, which looked at the ferry docks is now pointing towards CC.

http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440922/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-giglio-porto.html

or more direct: http://www.giglionews.com/isoladelgiglio.jpg?1369155506966

Lone now busy with P13 on site

Edited by Mike.Minh

Nothing we don't already know but interesting short video illustrating how the Concordia will be righted. Article from the L.A. Times.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-italy-giglio-20130809,0,6836556.story

CF

I love the term "Concordia will be righted." The full expression could be "After Captain Schittino wronged the Concordia, the salvage company arrived and righted the ship." :D

John

It seems like Lone has finally managed to fix P13 to the port side. It will be interesting to see whether or not she has the Blister in her hold and will go and fix it in the next couple of days.

Morning Clive,

Yes, been watching Lone myself, she's now moving away from C.C. after releasing P13. The caisson doesn't appear to quite line up with the others, but I guess this job is not about appearance!

Will Lone reveal the intriguing 'blister' framework from her hold, or is that being saved for another day?

CTH

Edit; After another quick look @ the webcam, it would appear that the two 'sideways-on' caissons P3 & P13 are both slightly 'thicker' than the rest of the caissons, so they probably are in line & according to plan. (More of that Italian wine last night!...)

Edited by CTH

Good morning to you as well.

Lone's cranes appear to be more in the sail formation. The next hour will show one way or another.

I think Lone may be abouts to lift & remove the large 3 window office/cabin off Concordia's bow in preparation for fitting the 'blister'.

With the new camera in operation & Lone positioned closer @ CC's bow, it makes one realise the incredible size of Lone's 1000 tonne lift cranes, & also her rather clever manoeuvreability (spelling?!) due to her updated positioning system, whilst hovering so close to CC's bow.