Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

This just came through the Italian Huff Post - go towards the middle of the page and you will see a slideshow depicting some cabins after the ship was righted, as they now look with the corresponding deck plan, showing the exact location of the cabin.

http://www.huffingtonpost.it/2014/01/15/foto-costa-concordia-oggi-_n_4603254.html?utm_hp_ref=italia-costa-concordia

Edited by cruiserfanfromct

This just came through the Italian Huff Post - go towards the middle of the page and you will see a slideshow depicting some cabins after the ship was righted, as they now look with the corresponding deck plan, showing the exact location of the cabin.

http://www.huffingtonpost.it/2014/01/15/foto-costa-concordia-oggi-_n_4603254.html?utm_hp_ref=italia-costa-concordia

Nice find CT.

I noticed on the "dry" side some luggage. Wonder if those folks will have their belongings returned to them.

I was just wondering if anyone might know what became of all the lifeboats? I do not recall hearing about where they went after the sinking. Recycled and put on a newbuild perhaps?

Nathan

Nathan, your question came up on the sister thread to this one or heck, maybe in this one. Gets confusing after a while.

I believe, but won't swear to it, that someone said they were still being held because they are part of a criminal investigation/trial.

My DH and I are survivors of the Concordia. We returned to Giglio about a month ago and spent two days there. We met some of the locals and they are amazing and friendly people! We met some true heroes of January 13-14, 2012. A fact that was never publicized by any news article that I read afterward (and I read most of them, I think) was revealed to us when we were there. Several of the local men watched as the Costa Concordia crew got out of the lifeboats when the passengers did, as they arrived at the pier that night. At least 4 of these men got on board the lifeboats and the one man in particular that we spoke to, told us that he made 5 trips back and forth to the ship, picking up passengers and he also pulled many people from the water that night!!! I was totally in awe of this man and his friends. There would have been many more fatalities had it not been for their actions and bravery! This little known fact has got to be made known and these men should be publicly recognized! I am not sure that is what they want as they just felt it was something that they could do to help. We watched from the pier, as the lifeboats returned to the ship and assumed that it was Costa Concordia crew manning them but that was not the case!

Just an interesting news item for everyone to ponder!! I hugged our new friend and there were tears streaming down my cheeks as I thanked him on behalf of all the survivors!! Wow!!!!

That was about the most emotional part of our return to the island for sure!! Just wanted to share with you folks that are still posting items and thank you for your continued interest in this piece of history!

We completed our visit to Italy with a Mediterranean cruise aboard the Norwegian Jade and we had a fabulous time!! So thankful to be back aboard a ship and enjoying cruising!:D

My DH and I are survivors of the Concordia. We returned to Giglio about a month ago and spent two days there. We met some of the locals and they are amazing and friendly people! We met some true heroes of January 13-14, 2012. A fact that was never publicized by any news article that I read afterward (and I read most of them, I think) was revealed to us when we were there. Several of the local men watched as the Costa Concordia crew got out of the lifeboats when the passengers did, as they arrived at the pier that night. At least 4 of these men got on board the lifeboats and the one man in particular that we spoke to, told us that he made 5 trips back and forth to the ship, picking up passengers and he also pulled many people from the water that night!!! I was totally in awe of this man and his friends. There would have been many more fatalities had it not been for their actions and bravery! This little known fact has got to be made known and these men should be publicly recognized! I am not sure that is what they want as they just felt it was something that they could do to help. We watched from the pier, as the lifeboats returned to the ship and assumed that it was Costa Concordia crew manning them but that was not the case!

Just an interesting news item for everyone to ponder!! I hugged our new friend and there were tears streaming down my cheeks as I thanked him on behalf of all the survivors!! Wow!!!!

That was about the most emotional part of our return to the island for sure!! Just wanted to share with you folks that are still posting items and thank you for your continued interest in this piece of history!

We completed our visit to Italy with a Mediterranean cruise aboard the Norwegian Jade and we had a fabulous time!! So thankful to be back aboard a ship and enjoying cruising!:D

I agree. Amazing and friendly people. Thank them for all they have done for all of us !

Edited by mbeginner

It seems there are many firms from all over the world working behind the scenes on the project Micki.

I noticed on one contribution that Nick Sloane is still running the project. I thought he had moved off but presumably just had a holiday.

Still waiting to hear if any of the passengers have received any of their belongings.

How very interesting and refreshing -- thanks for sharing this information, which I'd not heard before. Good for you, still cruising!

qtlikeme ... Thanks for posting that info, hopefully there would also have been some of the crew in lifeboats who also returned to the ship to pick people up.

Three weeks after the Concordia we were also on the NCL Jade, after the drill they had a lifeboat lowered to the promenade deck so people could see inside it and ask questions of the Safety officer who was also from the UK.

He told us that the week before there were two people onboard who had also been on the Concordia and could not wait to get back on a cruise ship ... :)

qtlikeme ... Thanks for posting that info, hopefully there would also have been some of the crew in lifeboats who also returned to the ship to pick people up.

Three weeks after the Concordia we were also on the NCL Jade, after the drill they had a lifeboat lowered to the promenade deck so people could see inside it and ask questions of the Safety officer who was also from the UK.

He told us that the week before there were two people onboard who had also been on the Concordia and could not wait to get back on a cruise ship ... :)

Sid

I can readily understand Costa Concordia survivors wanting to get back to cruising on NCL's Jade. But, my follow up question would have been: "Are you willing to cruise with Costa again?"

Sid

I can readily understand Costa Concordia survivors wanting to get back to cruising on NCL's Jade. But, my follow up question would have been: "Are you willing to cruise with Costa again?"

I would say yes that for us. We made three round trips after the Concordia, MSC Divina, Norwegian Jade, Costa Magica

We returned Giglio about a year ago. We have laid flowers for the all victims and thanked locals.

Uni ... Yes I would sail with Costa again and have been looking at the New Diadema(Diamond) itinerarys, no idea about the two people i mentioned though.

After all you do not cut down the whole Orchard because of one bad Apple!

No, we would never ever cruise with Costa. I'm disappointed that the cruise line appears to have got off almost scot free given their poor attitude towards safety and care of passengers plus their poor attitude towards who they have in charge of their ships and their encouragement of the action that cuased this disaster in the first place and their total inabaility to do the right things when it became clear that the ship was damaged beyond floatability (is that a real word?). So, no, no chance. I can see Sid is again defending Costa and would do but not me, not in a million years.

Uni ... Yes I would sail with Costa again and have been looking at the New Diadema(Diamond) itinerarys, no idea about the two people i mentioned though.

Depends whether you think the whole orchard is bad or not. I do but I guess that you don't.

Sid,

To use your analogy: If the cruise industry is an orchard and Costa is a diseased tree, you have to cut down the bad tree to save the orchard. ;)

John

Edited by Uniall

Uni .. you clearly have an issue with Costa as a company and not just Schettino !

Plenty of people on here predicted they would go under, be disbanded, sold off or replaced! and still Costa continue to increase passenger numbers.

Uni .. you clearly have an issue with Costa as a company and not just Schettino !

Plenty of people on here predicted they would go under, be disbanded, sold off or replaced! and still Costa continue to increase passenger numbers.

Sid

My Problem (I don't like the modern term "issue" which originally meant "question" not "problem") with Costa is based in intellect and law.

Costa had either approved previous "fly by salutes" and/or had prior knowledge of them and failed to ban them.

In addition, the chaotic safety muster and abadon ship procedures demonstrated a lack of proper or sufficient safety instruction and training.

These facts lead me to conclude that Costa is guilty of a corporate reckless disregard for passenger safety and indicates to me that the law's mythical "reasonably prudent person" would not sail with Costa until they demonstrate a total overhaul of their safety training and protocols.

John