Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Dear God, please don't tell me that's the final location where they will be scrapping from! I hope that's just a staging area for removal of some light material and lifting on some equipment, otherwise it's going to take a lot longer than two years. There are no cranes available, no room on the breakwater to accommodate several cranes and the room to swing loads and land them on trucks. It's been many years since I was in Genoa last, and I can't remember where the shipyard is in relation to where she is laying right now. I'll try some google map.

Dear God, please don't tell me that's the final location where they will be scrapping from! I hope that's just a staging area for removal of some light material and lifting on some equipment, otherwise it's going to take a lot longer than two years. There are no cranes available, no room on the breakwater to accommodate several cranes and the room to swing loads and land them on trucks. It's been many years since I was in Genoa last, and I can't remember where the shipyard is in relation to where she is laying right now. I'll try some google map.

Cheng, you're correct, it's only the first stage area. Wish I could remember where I read it, but can't!

As you say, they are removing some of the materials now and then she will be moved into a proper dock area for further removals. She will then finally go into a dry dock and be completely dismantled. It's either a 3 stage or 4 stage process. During stages 1 or 2 (I think!) they will take the top 4 decks off. I recall something about having to make her substantially lighter and consequently having less draft in order to get her into the proper dock areas, she's sitting too deep at the moment, think it's 18m?

Will try and find the link later on, unless anyone else can find it in the meantime!

Thought I recognised the music on the above video of CC in Genoa, it's the same as the music on 'Team Black Sheep' drone video of CC more than a year ago in Giglio;

Edited by CTH

Wow amazing video! The glass half dome is the atrium located mid-ship. It is a vertical shaft that goes from deck 3 al the way to the outside. This would an ideal location for removing stuff from guest cabins and other areas from deck 3 and up. I think it is also sitting a bit higher in the water, perhaps to keep deck 3 dry. The main lobby is on deck 3 in this location and if all furnishings and stuff in the lobby are removed, including the deck 4 and 5 mezzanines that surround the lobby, this area has ample space for staging materials to be removed from the ship. That crane is probably intended to do that job.

Did anyone notice that the big tower crane is still onboard? The boom is resting on the top deck and the other parts from the central hub and operator's cabin are still there. Perhaps they will assemble it again?

I think I remember that part of the process was also to get the ship light enough so it could float without the saisons.

I was wondering if they would use the central atrium as a place to lift out debris from the lower decks. The video seems to confirm this.

I think I remember that part of the process was also to get the ship light enough so it could float without the saisons.

I was wondering if they would use the central atrium as a place to lift out debris from the lower decks. The video seems to confirm this.

Did a little research, and since it will be San Giorgio Del Porto that will be scrapping CC, there's going to be a whole lot of work done before she can go into drydock. Their largest dock, #4, is 23 meters shorter than CC, so something will need to be carved off, bow or stern. Dock #4 is only 4 meters wider than CC, so definitely the caissons need to go, and the dock is only 3 meters deeper than CC at normal draft, and at present she is about 10 meters deeper than normal, so they may need to seal the hull breach completely and pump her out to get her light enough to move onto the blocks.

What about the dry dock where she was built?

Fincantieri is not involved in the scrapping, it's their competitor in Genoa, so I doubt they'd tie up their dock for this. While I don't see any newbuildings scheduled for Fincantieri Genoa over the next two years, I'm sure they are doing ship repairs, which would be more profitable than scrapping CC.

Sestri Ponente in Trieste where CC was built is on the Venice side of Italy which would mean the hull again being towed but this time all the way around Italy,it does seem to be an odd choice where they have decided to scrap the ship but i guess it was their was of keeping the work in Italy.

The Tower crane may well be used to lower down small sections of the ship otherwise a somewhat large floating crane would be needed to dismantle the ship, I would guess that the deck has been strengthened where the mobile crane is sitting.

The shipyard on the other side of the airport ie Genoa port is where CC is supposed to end up in drydock.

Sestri Ponente in Trieste where CC was built is on the Venice side of Italy which would mean the hull again being towed but this time all the way around Italy,it does seem to be an odd choice where they have decided to scrap the ship but i guess it was their was of keeping the work in Italy.

The Tower crane may well be used to lower down small sections of the ship otherwise a somewhat large floating crane would be needed to dismantle the ship, I would guess that the deck has been strengthened where the mobile crane is sitting.

The shipyard on the other side of the airport ie Genoa port is where CC is supposed to end up in drydock.

Thanks, I didn't think the normal deck could support a crane plus the weight it would be lifting.

Fincantieri is not involved in the scrapping, it's their competitor in Genoa, so I doubt they'd tie up their dock for this. While I don't see any newbuildings scheduled for Fincantieri Genoa over the next two years, I'm sure they are doing ship repairs, which would be more profitable than scrapping CC.

You have a point in that Fincantieri may not want to tie up that dry dock for this job.

Edited by luisrp

We all have to remember, this is not the usual scrapping job. We are dealing with the Italian government looking over everyone's shoulder and every politician just dying to be able to have a press conference to complaint and get some votes in the next election.

We have extremely high environmental laws and procedures and outfits like Greenpeace looking to get into the news and complain, and usually without any good alternatives or real problems.

The work is being done in one of the area's biggest cities and scrapping any ship is messy work. I fully expect lots of complaints from the locals as soon as the hull starts getting cut apart and their are piles of steel and other materials around the waterfront.

A normal scrapping job would be making a profit, but the poor Concordia will be a big money loser.

AKK

Just seen this on tonights TV listings, UK tonight at 9 pm on Sky 526 Nat Geo, a New so they say programme called Raising the Costa Concordia.

Have to see if it is New as they claim or a re run of the previous parbuckle programme.

Great spot Sid.
This was a complete start to finish film by Windfall films with lots of new footage and put out by Nat Geo.
Some errors but altogether very well produced colouring parts that was sketchy in my own mind.
I hope everyone on here gets the chance to watch it soon.

Thought it a little disappointing that they only spent 8 to 10 minutes on the re float and non of the move to Genoa, too much time spent going over the parbuckle for me but as you say enjoyable top watch all the same.

[quote name='luisrp']Just peeked at the Liguria webcam site and noticed on the hazy image that the big tower crane is back up.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]Must be prep work still going on because this article indicates that actual work won't start for about another week.

[url]http://www.ansa.it/english/news/general_news/2014/08/28/concordia-wrecking-to-start-in-10-days_96967d3e-c77a-425a-b739-696e115f0e23.html[/url] [/SIZE]

Touring the Costa Concordia at Gemoa.

[QUOTE]Whatever you put, the wreck of the Concordia news. Love it. Attracts. Slanted first, then back on his feet and finally parked awaiting demolition. At the Port of Genoa have understood immediately. Besides, tourists now go to the point: come and ask to see the ship. From the harbor in Old Voltri, 6 euro, the line of boats was already there. Pegli from the wreck parked in Pra'-Voltri you see, about 400 meters away, and why not lengthen in a bit to get a little 'closer. Let's say 200 meters (also something less judging from the pictures circulating), great location for a photo with the phone. 's local co-op did not want to disappoint the expectations of tourists poignant "selfisti" (lovers selfie ), and proposed a special tour. With 10 € you exceed Pegli just enough to see the Costa Concordia closer. A tour focused, with lots of explanation on board, to watch for signs of rust and salt as well as possible. And documenting on Facebook that he had seen before no longer exists, the carcass of the giant shipwrecked in 2012, drowning 32 people, including one of which will never be found the remains. Giglio To know it well: I have seen tourists come to sea ​​affixed the time to make a trip to the ship, buy - not always - a bottle of water at the Port, and come back. At the end there were too loyal to quell'ingombrante piece of history of the island. The Genoese perhaps they will not have the time. Or maybe yes. The demolition will take months, and the business was timely: tourists increased by 15%.
[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.avvenire.it/Cronaca/PublishingImages/ImmaginiArticolo/costa_300.jpg[/IMG]