Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

now.that I can agree with!

I may be bold here and this is only a opinion based on what I have seen............he was never a real Master' date=' he was a pretty boy with good interpersonal skills with the passengers! Thats how he got his job![/quote']

Right...so working on that premise...speculatively speaking...how many other "pretty boys/girls" are there out there in charge of tankers, containerships, ferries, cruise ships etc?

Granted not all carry passengers but many do...and I honestly cannot see this problem being something only to be found in one shipping company or even one country's authority.

Ultimately this is a worrying situation...you may well have commanders out there with the right paperwork, the face fits but the attitude & aptitude fail abysmally...but no-one will know who that is until the chips are down and we have another Concordia.

I have gone over this very thing with NTSB & AAIB investigators with aircrashes.

I have had reason to discuss a similar situation with the MAIB & UKCG over the operation of a cruise ship that was in a potentially dangerous condition a couple years ago....the ship was eventually repaired, the managing director got sacked and the master didn't have to hand over the keys to the ship to the authorities (which we had discussed him doing had the repairs not been done). Between us, the authorities in Bermuda (where the ship is registered), Lloyds of London and several Baltic states who did snap inspections, we got a cruise ship back onto an even keel....

But you have to ask where the hell did the powers at be get their qualifications from and were they turning a blind eye on purpose?

Schettino's speed boat side trip is now under official investigation. According to today's Italian press reports, there is a question of whether Schettino stepped outside territorial waters and respected the obligation to stay in Meta di Sorrento, and whether he needs permission from the judge to venture out in a motorboat or watercraft in the future.

It appears the mystery man in the Sun photograph was his friend Giuseppe Iaccarino, owner of a pizzeria in the center of Meta.

---------

From the New York Law Firm Ronai & Ronai, LLP, representing the family of the violinist, Sandor Feher.

Just days before the lawsuit was filed, photos and videos surfaced of Captain Schettino enjoying a speed boat ride in Italy with a friend. Peter Ronai, Esq. stated, "The fact that Schettino is out having a wonderful time, and on the water no less, after deserting the ship and those in his charge, adds insult to injury for the survivors and families of the deceased. The family of Sandor Feher is furious that Captain Schettino, is continuing on with his life as if the Costa Concordia tragedy had not occurred and furthermore, has yet to demonstrate any genuine remorse."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/new-york-law-firm-ronai-ronai-llp-files-wrongful-death-lawsuit-seeking-400-million-dollars-on-behalf-of-the-family-of-violinist-sandor-feher-killed-in-the-concordia-disaster-2012-08-07

---------

From the Italian Press:

http://www.positanonews.it/articoli/81062/meta_schettino_giro_in_motoscafo_parte_linchiesta.html

http://www.corriere.it/notizie-ultima-ora/Cronache_e_politica/Schettino-motoscafo-accertamenti-pm/06-08-2012/1-A_002521433.shtml

Schettino's speed boat side trip is now under official investigation. According to today's Italian press reports, there is a question of whether Schettino stepped outside territorial waters and respected the obligation to stay in Meta di Sorrento, and whether he needs permission from the judge to venture out in a motorboat or watercraft in the future.

It appears the mystery man in the Sun photograph was his friend Giuseppe Iaccarino, owner of a pizzeria in the center of Meta.

---------

From the New York Law Firm Ronai & Ronai, LLP, representing the family of the violinist, Sandor Feher.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/new-york-law-firm-ronai-ronai-llp-files-wrongful-death-lawsuit-seeking-400-million-dollars-on-behalf-of-the-family-of-violinist-sandor-feher-killed-in-the-concordia-disaster-2012-08-07

---------

From the Italian Press:

http://www.positanonews.it/articoli/81062/meta_schettino_giro_in_motoscafo_parte_linchiesta.html

http://www.corriere.it/notizie-ultima-ora/Cronache_e_politica/Schettino-motoscafo-accertamenti-pm/06-08-2012/1-A_002521433.shtml

Begs the question..who was tipped off about the couple hours out...and how much were they paid?

Sorry but I do not believe tabloids just happened to be in the right place at the right time......they require leading by the nose, they do not have the collective intelligence to do anything by chance.

NEW reconstruction video made by Professor Bruno Neri of the Faculty of Engineering of Pisa, which coordinates the work of Codacons, showing that at impact the Concordia watertight doors were open when they should have been closed.

http://multimedia.quotidiano.net/?tipo=media&media=27916

Quote from CostaSmurfette:

I was aboard Costa Classica earlier this year and made a point of asking pertinent questions when on the bridge and in the engine control room during the behind the scenes tour. The crew were extremely candid and they felt at ease in how they explained the probable chain of events that night.

I don't post very often but have followed this thread from the beginning. I find everyones comments and viewpoints quite interesting whether I personally agree or not. It was my understanding that "behind the scenes" bridge tours were discontinued industry-wide after the Concordia event yet it appears CostaSmurfette not only took a tour but the bridge crew spoke quite freely about their thoughts to the events in question. Although I am merely a commercial property manager by trade I know that when legal proceedings and investigations are underway - discussion of said events are not allowed by employees and certainly I would think unauthorized people would not be allowed in the area of question. I must deduct that CS is indeed an investigator or Costa employee, which is fine - just be up front about it. If she is not then I have more serious questions about the management of Costa then previous to her addition to this forum.

"we all seem to be able to talk on the phone and drive a car"

Not in the UK!! while it may be legal and cause accidents in the USA doing just that is banned here and will earn you a driving ban.

There appears to be some people here who are suffering from Media Blindness !

CT ... It appears that way too many people think that Concordia only did the one sailby that night and refuse to accept that it had become Custom and Practice and not just during daylight hours either.

Edited by sidari

Right...so working on that premise...speculatively speaking...how many other "pretty boys/girls" are there out there in charge of tankers, containerships, ferries, cruise ships etc?

Granted not all carry passengers but many do...and I honestly cannot see this problem being something only to be found in one shipping company or even one country's authority.

Ultimately this is a worrying situation...you may well have commanders out there with the right paperwork, the face fits but the attitude & aptitude fail abysmally...but no-one will know who that is until the chips are down and we have another Concordia.

I have gone over this very thing with NTSB & AAIB investigators with aircrashes.

I have had reason to discuss a similar situation with the MAIB & UKCG over the operation of a cruise ship that was in a potentially dangerous condition a couple years ago....the ship was eventually repaired, the managing director got sacked and the master didn't have to hand over the keys to the ship to the authorities (which we had discussed him doing had the repairs not been done). Between us, the authorities in Bermuda (where the ship is registered), Lloyds of London and several Baltic states who did snap inspections, we got a cruise ship back onto an even keel....

But you have to ask where the hell did the powers at be get their qualifications from and were they turning a blind eye on purpose?

well I dont think that there are many if any pretty boy Masters on real cargo vessels. By pretty boys I mean the passenger ships where the Master is just that...pretty....good looking......someone who mixes well with the cargo that talks back to you!.*G*

I think the biggest problem is shipping companies...vessel owners that want to run their ships as cheap as possible......hiring the lowest payed crews of the month........and do minimum repairs.

How to stop it?...easy to do......hard to get them to do it!

1. Give the class societies more authority to require repairs when needed and more inspections, without the fear of the owners going to a different class.

2. Internationalize the national registry system, making internationally set rules taxes and costs equal. This would remove the flag of convenience system now in place.......

3. Put in a system where the vessels Officers can somehow report needed repairs and/or equipment, etc......without fear of lossing their jobs and the fear of no one else wanting to hire them. It's not so much the skill of the crews..most out there today are pretty good.......its fear of keeping their jobs that keep them quiet.

Years ago I got a telex from a vessel coming into a port where I was to do a cargo inspection. The Master addressed the telex only to me and not C/C the agents or owners. I was was attend onboard the vessel when docked and not wait until the start of cargo operations.

ON arrival all the vessel hatch covers were closed and still secured/*battened down* for sea. I went up to the Master's cabin and met him and the Chief Officer, asking how can I help them?...in other words.......what the hell is going on!!!!!

Well down each hold we went and I looked up and there was daylight showing though between the hatch covers and the hatch combings, all the way around, all 5 holds. The cargo was soaking in sea water from leakage.

As you can imagine this is not the way things should be, these are supposed to be water tight to protect the cargo and the safely of the vessel.

The Master, who was on his 1st trip on that vessel, told me he wanted me to see the condition before the hatches were opened because he had been told not to tell anyone the situation.

At 0800 I called the P and I club for the vessel (the vessel insurance who I was representing) told them the situation. We arranged for a class inspection and called in the USCG.(The USCG agree with whatever Class says)...the repairs were done in that port.

4. Make the office executives criminally responsible if there is a casualty and it it proved the office knew about the condition's and didn't make repairs or whatever changes were required.

All this costs money!.......yes everyone..........if done your cruises and goods you buy are going to cost a lot more!

*steps off his soap box!*

AKK

Begs the question..who was tipped off about the couple hours out...and how much were they paid?

Sorry but I do not believe tabloids just happened to be in the right place at the right time......they require leading by the nose, they do not have the collective intelligence to do anything by chance.

The point is that there is an official investigation concerning Schettino's speed boat venture and whether or not it violated his order to remain in Meta. It has nothing to do with the tabloids or whether someone was paid off or not. No one forced Schettino to take a ride on the wild side sporting a skimpy Speedo, going about his life as if nothing happened, knowing full well that the paparazzi was camped outside his home and that he was and will be in full glare of publicity for quite some time.

It would seem that out of deference to the victims, he would have enough decency and respect to remain in Meta and not venture out into the very waters that became a grave for 32 people and a lifetime traumatizing experience for over 4,000.

Edited by cruiserfanfromct

well I dont think that there are many if any pretty boy Masters on real cargo vessels. By pretty boys I mean the passenger ships where the Master is just that...pretty....good looking......someone who mixes well with the cargo that talks back to you!.*G*

I think the biggest problem is shipping companies...vessel owners that want to run their ships as cheap as possible......hiring the lowest payed crews of the month........and do minimum repairs.

How to stop it?...easy to do......hard to get them to do it!

1. Give the class societies more authority to require repairs when needed and more inspections' date=' without the fear of the owners going to a different class.

2. Internationalize the national registry system, making internationally set rules taxes and costs equal. This would remove the flag of convenience system now in place.......

3. Put in a system where the vessels Officers can somehow report needed repairs and/or equipment, etc......without fear of lossing their jobs and the fear of no one else wanting to hire them. It's not so much the skill of the crews..most out there today are pretty good.......its fear of keeping their jobs that keep them quiet.

Years ago I got a telex from a vessel coming into a port where I was to do a cargo inspection. The Master addressed the telex only to me and not C/C the agents or owners. I was was attend onboard the vessel when docked and not wait until the start of cargo operations.

ON arrival all the vessel hatch covers were closed and still secured/*battened down* for sea. I went up to the Master's cabin and met him and the Chief Officer, asking how can I help them?...in other words.......what the hell is going on!!!!!

Well down each hold we went and I looked up and there was daylight showing though between the hatch covers and the hatch combings, all the way around, all 5 holds. The cargo was soaking in sea water from leakage.

As you can imagine this is not the way things should be, these are supposed to be water tight to protect the cargo and the safely of the vessel.

The Master, who was on his 1st trip on that vessel, told me he wanted me to see the condition before the hatches were opened because he had been told not to tell anyone the situation.

At 0800 I called the P and I club for the vessel (the vessel insurance who I was representing) told them the situation. We arranged for a class inspection and called in the USCG.(The USCG agree with whatever Class says)...the repairs were done in that port.

4. Make the office executives criminally responsible if there is a casualty and it it proved the office knew about the condition's and didn't make repairs or whatever changes were required.

All this costs money!.......yes everyone..........if done your cruises and goods you buy are going to cost a lot more!

*steps off his soap box!*

AKK[/quote']

To me, that relatively "novice" master (for want of a better word) did the right thing by having you see what he was dealing with before he entered port and was inspected...whisltblowers are a rare asset these days for obvious reasons.

The cruise ship that I was notified by a passenger about was in a very poor state...so bad that on their Spitzbergen cruise, it only managed to get as far as Kiel from Hamburg after 4 days sailing - and that was via the Kiel canal. The master was contacted and he was helping the authorities in forcing the owners to get things fixed. It ended up with the ship in the Med, again being checked at every port by arrangement via the UK authorities and the master was going to self impound in Gibraltar if the repairs had not been done since he was not prepared to endanger himself or the crew/pax by taking the ship on her next season of cruises in Antarctica.

All this snowballed from one passenger telling their agent about the problems, the agent contacting me about it since I was an admin on a discussion board at the time...I put the word out to see if others had similar stories, they did and I contacted the UK authorities for advice, they took the case up, hounded the ship for 3 months, the BBC was involved along with a consumer group here in the UK and everyone got full refunds, the ship got repaired and she went to Antarctica without further problems.

It shouldn't have taken civilians to get the job done but we all pulled together and cracked it.

I, like you, would like to hope that there aren't too many masters out there who wouldn't cut the mustard in an emergency but as with everything in life, there will always be a few who scrape through the examinations and get past the inspections.

The point is that there is an official investigation concerning Schettino's speed boat venture and whether or not it violated his order to remain in Meta. It has nothing to do with the tabloids or whether someone was paid off or not. No one forced Schettino to take a ride on the wild side sporting a skimpy Speedo, going about his life as if nothing happened, knowing full well that the paparazzi was camped outside his home and that he was and will be in full glare of publicity for quite some time.

It would seem that out of deference to the victims, he would have enough decency and respect to remain in Meta and not venture out into the very waters that became a grave for 32 people and a lifetime traumatizing experience for over 4,000.

erm cart before horse....

How did the authorities know about the boat trip...they saw it in the tabloids, which means someone is following Schettino.

Without that report in the tabloids, no-one would have been any the wiser about the boat trip, would they?

How did they just happen to show up at just the right time?

Was there a pay off for a tip off?

Are they being led by the nose?

Those are the same questions I'd ask about a person joining Cruise Critic and within 24 hours logs in with 25 long and detailed posts defending Schittino and Costa. This is especially true if they indicate extensive prior knowledge and experience in maritime disaster investigation, claim prior and future sailings with Costa and and Schittino.

Hmmmmmm?

"we all seem to be able to talk on the phone and drive a car"

Not in the UK!! while it may be legal and cause accidents in the USA doing just that is banned here and will earn you a driving ban.

There appears to be some people here who are suffering from Media Blindness !

CT ... It appears that way too many people think that Concordia only did the one sailby that night and refuse to accept that it had become Custom and Practice and not just during daylight hours either.

Well you make a point Sidari!.........maybe its better put.*chew gum and walk at the same time!*

I was aboard Costa Classica earlier this year and made a point of asking pertinent questions when on the bridge and in the engine control room during the behind the scenes tour. The crew were extremely candid and they felt at ease in how they explained the probable chain of events that night.

I don't post very often but have followed this thread from the beginning. I find everyones comments and viewpoints quite interesting whether I personally agree or not. It was my understanding that "behind the scenes" bridge tours were discontinued industry-wide after the Concordia event yet it appears CostaSmurfette not only took a tour but the bridge crew spoke quite freely about their thoughts to the events in question. Although I am merely a commercial property manager by trade I know that when legal proceedings and investigations are underway - discussion of said events are not allowed by employees and certainly I would think unauthorized people would not be allowed in the area of question. I must deduct that CS is indeed an investigator or Costa employee, which is fine - just be up front about it. If she is not then I have more serious questions about the management of Costa then previous to her addition to this forum.

Costa have full behind the scenes tours just as all the other cruise lines do...nothing to be suspicious of and certainly an eye opener for those of us who like to see how the ships work.

I have also been on the bridge aboard Norwegian Crown off Puerto Madryn, Argentina in 2005, spent about 5 hours there at the invitation of an ex Royal Navy Officer who was the ship's safety officer at the time. I have also been on the bridge aboard Olsen's Braemar a couple of times.

Fascinating experience and one that I hope to do again aboard Costa Pacifica this December, Costa Favolosa next June and Costa Deliziosa in December 2013.

It costs tween €30 and €70 per person depending on the ship size...you visit the laundry, workshops, bridge, controlroom, officers mess, crew mess, theatre and crew bar...excellent tour, one to be recommended very highly. Princess, Carnival & RCI do them too, I believe they have a few extra freebees included than Costa, but its still a very good 4 hours spent when at sea :)

How did they just happen to show up at just the right time?

Was there a pay off for a tip off?

Are they being led by the nose?

Those are the same questions I'd ask about a person joining Cruise Critic and within 24 hours logs in with 25 long and detailed posts defending Schittino and Costa. This is especially true if they indicate extensive prior knowledge and experience in maritime disaster investigation, claim prior and future sailings with Costa and and Schittino.

Hmmmmmm?

Simple fact is that I have been a member here in the past since 2005 thru 2011, I have been around ships since I was 6 months old (which is almost 50 years ago). I have read this thread (and others) about how Francesco Schettino should be hung, drawn and quartered for making an error in judgement with dismay, anger and sadness.

I have always tended to look at things forensically rather than emotionally...and tbh...I felt it was about time to level up the playing field a tad. get off the emotional and get more into the technicalities and the general merchant marine industry as a whole and where this accident has left it...and where it is going to go in the future by way of procedural changes both on the ships and in the offices that run the ships.

Have to admit that the conversations with Tonka have been very enlightening, both from his own experiences and views and also looking ahead as to what may follow the eventual conclusions drawn once the investigations are completed.

His insight into the USCG especially is interesting as they tend to be the bar in which other agencies try to reach, and if they are not totally au fait with what is going on, then that in itself is alarming when you consider how much other countries look up to the USCG to be the standard to follow.

Costa have full behind the scenes tours just as all the other cruise lines do...nothing to be suspicious of and certainly an eye opener for those of us who like to see how the ships work.

I have also been on the bridge aboard Norwegian Crown off Puerto Madryn, Argentina in 2005, spent about 5 hours there at the invitation of an ex Royal Navy Officer who was the ship's safety officer at the time. I have also been on the bridge aboard Olsen's Braemar a couple of times.

Fascinating experience and one that I hope to do again aboard Costa Pacifica this December, Costa Favolosa next June and Costa Deliziosa in December 2013.

It costs tween €30 and €70 per person depending on the ship size...you visit the laundry, workshops, bridge, controlroom, officers mess, crew mess, theatre and crew bar...excellent tour, one to be recommended very highly. Princess, Carnival & RCI do them too, I believe they have a few extra freebees included than Costa, but its still a very good 4 hours spent when at sea :)

You haven't answered the question. Are you now or have you ever been paid or recieved a promise of payment of any remuneration in the form on money, goods, services or anything of value from:

a) Costa Cruise Lines or any of it's affiliated entitities or persons?

b) Capt. Schittino or any of his agents, employees, attorneys, or represtatives?

I could go on with many such questions but I don't it would be received with candor.

Edited by Uniall

I am very well aware that this was not the first salute done at Giglio or other ports. There was a previous publicized occasion at Giglio with the townspeople and mayor involved. There had been other nightly salutes but obviously from a further distance.

But this particular sail-bye, in the middle of WINTER on a tiny island devoid of tourists and done none other than for the sole benefit of a handful of employees and / or ex-employees and their families with a possible added intention to impress a visitor on the bridge, carried an enormous risk with absolutely NO benefit whatsoever to Costa Crociere. It follows that the decision to put passengers in peril in order to show bravado, stroke an ego or for whatever other reason, was made single-handedly by one man who failed miserably at commanding his crew and vessel. We all know the outcome. :mad:

Simple fact is that I have been a member here in the past since 2005 thru 2011, I have been around ships since I was 6 months old (which is almost 50 years ago). I have read this thread (and others) about how Francesco Schettino should be hung, drawn and quartered for making an error in judgement with dismay, anger and sadness.

I have always tended to look at things forensically rather than emotionally...and tbh...I felt it was about time to level up the playing field a tad. get off the emotional and get more into the technicalities and the general merchant marine industry as a whole and where this accident has left it...and where it is going to go in the future by way of procedural changes both on the ships and in the offices that run the ships.

Have to admit that the conversations with Tonka have been very enlightening, both from his own experiences and views and also looking ahead as to what may follow the eventual conclusions drawn once the investigations are completed.

His insight into the USCG especially is interesting as they tend to be the bar in which other agencies try to reach, and if they are not totally au fait with what is going on, then that in itself is alarming when you consider how much other countries look up to the USCG to be the standard to follow.

What Cruise Critic User Name did you use from 20005 - 2011? Why pick a new one for this exercise? Are you hiding a secret agenda?

Your expressed view that a demand that there be severe punishment for conduct which causes the death of 32 people is somehow an emotional response, rather than society protecting itself, speaks volumes of where you are coming from.

The only question is whether you are being paid for it.

Edited by Uniall

NEW reconstruction video made by Professor Bruno Neri of the Faculty of Engineering of Pisa, which coordinates the work of Codacons, showing that at impact the Concordia watertight doors were open when they should have been closed.

http://multimedia.quotidiano.net/?tipo=media&media=27916

The watertight door issue has raised questions of their own, not least their design and operation.

It is known that watertight doors relax when power supplies are down, thus leaving a reasonable gap around the door, and causing leakage.

Go back 100 years to Titanic...the doors came down from the ceiling to the floor, they were extremely heavy and in the event of a power failure, they stayed put, held by ratchet and their own weight.

Roll back to the present day and the door design has changed, they no longer have the ability to hold themselves closed in the event of a power failure.

There is also considerable debate about leaving the doors open for ease of access tween compartments...unfortunately there have been many documented cases of ships under inspection with doors open and even wedged open "because it made movement by crew easier". It's an easy trap to fall into, many do it without thinking...working in a compartment, carrying tools or whatever, leave the door open so its less fuss that to keep opening and closing them all the time...even Naval ships have this problem, so cruise ships are certainly not alone in this behaviour by crew.

The Herald of Free Enterprise was a good case to demonstrate what goes on when doors are left open (incidently I was driving back from Budapest that evening and she was the ferry I was meant to catch but traffic held me up and I missed her).

Even the slightest relaxation of that watertight seal will allow ingress of water, so whether the doors are relaxing due to an electromechanical issue or have been left open to make life easier for the crew (accidently, mistake or whatever reason) the risk of ingress will always be there.

Find a way to have watertight doors that do not impede life on board but that can still save lives and you'll be a multiple millionaire ;)

erm cart before horse....

How did the authorities know about the boat trip...they saw it in the tabloids, which means someone is following Schettino.

Without that report in the tabloids, no-one would have been any the wiser about the boat trip, would they?

I would tend to give the Italian authorities / investigators more credit than that CS. Are you suggesting they are following the tabloids instead of conducting their own investigations? Are they perhaps leaving Schettino up to his own devices and waiting for the Sun to slip in a photo of a Speedo-clad former captain on the Internet, or are they following CC? Erm....

What Cruise Critic User Name did you use from 20005 - 2011? Why pick a new one for this exercise? Are you hiding a secret agenda?

Your expressed view that a demand that there be severe punishment for conduct which causes the death of 32 people is somehow an emotional response, rather than society protecting itself, speaks volumes of where you are coming from.

The only question is whether you are being paid for it.

If I said my original username I would get banned again (I was banned for requesting a now ex moderator do their job and deal with some nasty behaviour)....no secret, I am not a secretive person....least I don't think I am, but its your perogative if you think that I am...free country and all that ;)

No amount of punishment will ever bring those 32 people back to their loved ones, no amount of punishment will be worse than the mental and physical effects faced by those involved that night who did not do their jobs right or who gave into their fear.

We do not live in an ideal world...sometimes I wish that we did, but we do not and we cannot turn the clocks back and bring those people home....but what we can do is learn from it...passengers must learn to take the muster drills more seriously, crews/officers need to be trained and evaluated much better to make sure that they can react in the best way possible when presented with an emergency situation and they must not be afraid to speak out of a senior officer does or says something that they are not comfortable with.

As much as you and many others bay for blood, it is not going to change anything...but by taking steps in training, officer candidate choice, ship design and a host of other equally important issues thrown up by Concordia we can all take steps to prevent another 32 or more deaths from another avoidable accident.

I would tend to give the Italian authorities / investigators more credit than that CS. Are you suggesting they are following the tabloids instead of conducting their own investigations? Are they perhaps leaving Schettino up to his own devices and waiting for the Sun to slip in a photo of a Speedo-clad former captain on the Internet, or are they following CC? Erm....

You obviously do not know how the European tabloids work...they are the scum of the earth.

They will be watching every move that the main players are making and if they can grab photo's too, well that is even better...its only money to the talboid hacks, they do not give a toss about anyone's feelings....remember we are talking about the same sort of scum who took photo's of Diana as she lay critically injured in the car, they did not try to help, they stood snapping away at her and wanting big bucks for the photo's...they were only stopped thanks to legal intervention.

They do not care, all they see is money...and someone paid good money to have Schettino shadowed, its what they do and there is bugger all anyone can do to stop them (more's the pity). They will take photo's of you farting if they thought there was money in it for them.

The authorities will have seen that photo plastered across the media and they will have asked pertinent questions....

You haven't answered the question. Are you now or have you ever been paid or recieved a promise of payment of any remuneration in the form on money, goods, services or anything of value from:

a) Costa Cruise Lines or any of it's affiliated entitities or persons?

b) Capt. Schittino or any of his agents, employees, attorneys, or represtatives?

I could go on with many such questions but I don't it would be received with candor.

I do not work for any cruise line, I am medically retired and have been for about 20 years. I love ships, the sea and aviation.

As for getting anything in return...I bloody wish...nah...I wouldn't accept anything anyway, hell I have enough trouble accepting normal freebees in the local supermarket.

When I helped expose the cruise ship in the UK, I did it to help people gain what they deserved (refunds) and to oust a useless managing director...got nothing but thanks for it and that suits me just fine.

We are not all money hungry people you know...you and I might live in different tangents in regard to the law but we both want what is best for people...you get paid commission and I do not.

T'is your perogative to believe or not matey...but my conscience is clear and I sleep beautifully at night. I just hate to see someone attacked when they cannot defend themselves or explain their actions...simple really.

Originally Posted by watertheodds viewpost.gif

Fascinating experience and one that I hope to do again aboard Costa December 2013.

Well yes - we all know that Bridge Tours and Behind the Scene tours have been available in the past but they have been off and on since 911 AND I recall they had been discontinued after the Concordia incident. I have to question that Costa was still allowing them and the personnel to discuss freely the Concordia after the fact. It was brought forth many times because of Domnica being on the bridge during the incident.

Seems to me that while The Captain's moral and professional decisions are in question - the big picture of Costa being where the buck stops is being overlooked.

Ship is still sailing with electrical problems whether by design or maintenance? Black box not operable for some time? Drills not being conducted by newly boarded passengers? A Captain being promoted and given a new ship rather than being demoted (at least for a time) after reckless behavior while in command of a passenger ship at least twice causing property damage? I may not be an attorney but I do recognise Gross Negligence and that is really hard to defend.

You obviously do not know how the European tabloids work...they are the scum of the earth.

They will be watching every move that the main players are making and if they can grab photo's too, well that is even better...its only money to the talboid hacks, they do not give a toss about anyone's feelings....remember we are talking about the same sort of scum who took photo's of Diana as she lay critically injured in the car, they did not try to help, they stood snapping away at her and wanting big bucks for the photo's...they were only stopped thanks to legal intervention.

They do not care, all they see is money...and someone paid good money to have Schettino shadowed, its what they do and there is bugger all anyone can do to stop them (more's the pity). They will take photo's of you farting if they thought there was money in it for them.

The authorities will have seen that photo plastered across the media and they will have asked pertinent questions....

All the Tabloids work pretty much the same way internationally across the board. Schettino, being European and presumably knowing how the Europeans tabloid work, sure did give the Sun a run for their money. :o

During these intense investigations, one would think the former captain would have more sense than to become fodder for the Supermarket Tabs. But alas, after all the slapstick explanations he has given for his actions, there is one thing known for certain and that is, sense, scruples and honor, he doesn't have a lick of. :(