Epic - aft cabin?

Chardpink

we were in cabin 11313 aft it was nice and it had a big balcony

the cabin is the last one to the stairs there where lounge chairs

for those the want theme there is plenty room in cabin 11313 for them

its was a great cabin sorry for my mistakes in spelling

My wife and I had the pleasure of being in corner aft cabin 10318 back in December for our first cruise. To say that we have spoiled ourselves is really selling it short. For me, the aft balcony was amazing. The wake does sound like a waterfall and for the view, to be honest, most of the time you are looking at water. An aft balcony would practically be standard on an Alaskan cruise as you get to see both left and right sides rather than just one when booking a port or starboard room. However, on a caribbean cruise because you are looking at water basically the whole time the view is kind of lacking unless you are in port. At least for our cruise, every port we stopped at (Eastern Caribbean itinerary) the Epic was parked backwards. So when leaving we always watched paradise get smaller and smaller until it faded into the distance. I found bring a set a good binoculars was a great investment as you could watch the parade of boats enter or leave the ports with you.

As for the vibrations, yes they are real and yes they can wake you up! We noticed it only when pulling into and leaving port. Otherwise no vibrations whatsoever. The rocking was never an issue for us either. But if you are a light sleeper and value your sleep on a vacation (I don't because I want to be awake as much as possible on vacation and live it up!) when pulling into port at 3,4, or 5 in the morning it will probably wake you up. I am a heavy sleeper and the vibration only woke me when pulling into St. Maarten. This was not a bad thing though because as I said, the Epic pulled in backwards so I got to watch as an 1100 foot ship was flipped 180 degrees and backed into its spot flawlessly. Interesting to me to say the least. My wife however, is a light sleeper and was woken up at all three ports. She fell asleep quickly and probably wondered what I was doing at 4 in the morning out on the balcony.

So would I book it again, vibrations and all? In a heartbeat!! Being woke up earlier than expected is someting a little coffee or soda will fix but the scenery of the islands as we left made for some excellent pictures as well as memories we will take with us forever. Hopefully this answers your questions but in reality only you can decide if an aft balcony will work for you. We were first time cruisers with no idea what to expect but it lived up to every expectation and then some. Good luck and enjoy!

• 3 years later...
Hi Marcia:

I have cabin 11311 booked for next February. How was your cruise experience in this cabin?

Terry

I am not Marcia, but I just thought that I would let you know that we had an aft facing cabin on the Epic a few years ago, that was situated on deck 11. I don't remember the exact cabin number, but what I do remember is that we found the music from the Spice H2O to be disturbing - we heard the base quite well inside our cabin - both during the day and in the evening. We loved the view from an aft facing balcony, but if we were to do another cruise on the Epic in the same type of cabin, we would definitely choose a cabin a couple of deck lower than last time....

Edited by TrumpyNor

• 1 year later...
I am not Marcia, but I just thought that I would let you know that we had an aft facing cabin on the Epic a few years ago, that was situated on deck 11. I don't remember the exact cabin number, but what I do remember is that we found the music from the Spice H2O to be disturbing - we heard the base quite well inside our cabin - both during the day and in the evening. We loved the view from an aft facing balcony, but if we were to do another cruise on the Epic in the same type of cabin, we would definitely choose a cabin a couple of deck lower than last time....

I know this is an older post but we have an aft corner balcony booked on deck 11, anyone know if you leave the balcony door open will the noise from the sea cover the noise from H20 or should we move down to deck 10?

We had an aft balcony on the epic the year before last. I get very bad motion sickness, I did take bonine the entire cruise for precaution but I never got sick and rarely felt any movement. The room and view was beautiful and being it just being my husband, I and our 5 yr old we didnt have any trouble with the bathroom layout, to be honest it worked well for us not having the shower in the bathroom cuz someone always had to go potty the second you get in the shower lol. The balcony was amazing and big enough for lounge chairs and regular chairs.

I know this is an older post but we have an aft corner balcony booked on deck 11, anyone know if you leave the balcony door open will the noise from the sea cover the noise from H20 or should we move down to deck 10?

For us the noise from H2O covered the "noise" from the sea, and not vice versa. But our cabin was situated more or less right below the large screen at H2O and not on the corner, so it might be different (better) with a corner balcony.

Edited by TrumpyNor

We were recently in an aft on the Epic and deck 10 (10313) we couldn't hear anything from Spice.

We normally love afts but my goodness, the vibrations were way worse than we've experienced on smaller ships. It was a port intensive cruise so we were woken up very early (and kept awake) every day. There wasn't any soot though, like we've had on other ships, and only once (the last night) were we unable to sit on the balcony as the smell of fuel was very strong.

• 1 year later...
I had a corner aft, regular balcony, room 12310 a few weeks ago. If you are motion sensitive do not book aft cabins. I found the constant vibration of the ship annoying. Someone posted the other day it's like being in a massage chair. It was windy on our two sea days so the ship swayed back and forth a lot and it drove me nuts. I didn't notice the motion as much in other parts of the ship.

The vibrations pulling into and out of the port didn't bother me too much except when we were pulling into Miami. Starting around 3:30 am it felt like an earthquake every now and then. Once we were in the port, there was no sleeping though that amount of noise and vibration.

I would not book an aft cabin on the Epic again, I would go for a balcony room towards midship.

Was the balcony covered or uncovered

Sent from my iPad using Forums