Dining Room with a Toddler (2 year old)

Julz226

We leave on Sunday for our fourth cruise with our son -- his first cruise was at 2 year 8 months, he will be 4 in May. The first time we took him was a quick three day on the Sensation just as trial run for our longer cruises.

We have been on a 3, 5, 7 and now a 6 night with him.

He has eaten with us in the dining room for assigned seating or the steakhouse every night except for one time when my wife and I ate the Chef's Table.

The waiters are always accomodating. They really enjoy the kids. They seem to enjoy bringing the children special treats.

We have never had a neighboring table complain to us or, to my knowledge, about us.

I think you will be fine -- do you eat together as a family at home?

Our first cruise my son was 17 months old and it was so great! Maybe there was something about being in a fancier venue where all around everyone is better behaved but he was awesome. Of course it could have been the unending supply of apple juice and dinner rolls that he ate. Let your little one fill up on that and if he is not hungry buy the time his chicken fingers are served ask for his dinner to be wrapped up. We did early dining with him in the main dining room every night and then went straight to whatever show there was. Ususally his "dinner" served as a nice bedtime snack during the first part of the show and more times than not he was asleep before it ended. Turned out to be the best babysitter and perfect ending to our days. Sometimes if we could manage it we went back to our room and changed him into his jammies before the show. Cuddle up with favorite blanket and milk or juice and he was all set to go! It was an awesome adventure!

On our recent cruise on Paradise, there was a family with a young child at a nearby table. The child acted like, for lack of a better term, the spawn of Satan.

At the conclusion of service on the first night, I noticed the MaitreD' come up and speak to them. They did not return to the MDR for the rest of the cruise.

Ditto

If people feel quality time is needed, which it is, why do it on a cruise?

Why NOT do it on a cruise? If I had followed your advice, I would've missed out on my last 3 cruises, and some of the most memorable moments of my life.

It's obvious that families DO want to spend quality time on cruise ships. Royal Caribbean, Disney and now NCL are all adding nurseries and kids programs for babies as young as 6 months of age. As "weird" as it may sound, some families do want to spend time together, even on a cruise.

On our recent cruise on Paradise, there was a family with a young child at a nearby table. The child acted like, for lack of a better term, the spawn of Satan.

At the conclusion of service on the first night, I noticed the MaitreD' come up and speak to them. They did not return to the MDR for the rest of the cruise.

It always amazes me that some parents seem totally oblivious to their misbehaving children.

I don't mind kids being in the MDR, but if they get cranky please try to comfort them and if that doesn't work and they are really causing a scene then they need to have one of the parents take them out.

Our kids are 2 and 3, we brought travel etch a sketches at the Dollar Tree, a take and play Thomas set, little matchbox cars, coloring books with their favorite characters, crayons, little tea cups from my oldest's tea set (cause it was fancy ;) ) etc. They each brought a small backpack where they could pick 2 or 3 of the little toys to bring each night. They were really good and we can't wait to do it again!

I wasn't aware of ATD when I booked the cruise but after hearing about it, I looked into it. The reason I didn't jump on it though is that I hear there are regularly 15-20 minute waits to be seated. That's eternity to a 2-year old! I don't want to use up all his "good behavior" waiting to be seated, only to be left with a cranky baby by the time we're actually seated. How does seating work? Do you have to stand around and wait for a table or do you get pagers so you can wander?

In reality, we'll probably drop him at CC for elegant night anyhow, and the 3rd night we'll be in port till late so we will probably not use the MDR at all that night. I'm only going to need to make the MDR decision on nights 1 & 4, and yes, this cruise is a trial run before we pay the balance on our 7-night Disney cruise over the New Year.

As for why I bring my child on vacation, I am bringing him because he is my family and I love him. He has always been included on pretty much everything we do.

My husband and I try to get one "adults only" weekend a year, but neither of us have parents who can watch a toddler, or any other local relatives for that matter, so we're never going to be going off for a week at a time kid free. Plus, I miss him when I'm away for very long.

We opted for a cruise this time (vs our original idea of a Key West trip) because it will allow us quality family time, but we can also take advantage of Camp Carnival for a little bit of let down time. That does not mean I plan on dropping my toddler off every hour that they're open though! I'm really looking forward to sharing this adventure with him. He's at that fun age where everything is new and exciting. He's been walking around saying "big boat" for a week. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

I am in the same boat as you right now; we rarely go out because it is difficult to gauge at this age how they will behave. We too will be giving the MDR a go on our next cruise and if it is a problem we will leave. Like some have mentioned I always make sure to have cheerios or fruit loops and his cup.

I will say on our last cruise (NCL) we did the anytime dining and that to me was worse than assigned dining as it took forever. The waiters were so slow and since you get someone new every night they weren't prepared. My son was 10 months old at the time and you would have thought this might make them move faster but no. One night we were there for 2 1/2 hours and gave up on dessert because there was no way he was sitting there for a minute longer.

I wasn't aware of ATD when I booked the cruise but after hearing about it, I looked into it. The reason I didn't jump on it though is that I hear there are regularly 15-20 minute waits to be seated. That's eternity to a 2-year old! I don't want to use up all his "good behavior" waiting to be seated, only to be left with a cranky baby by the time we're actually seated. How does seating work? Do you have to stand around and wait for a table or do you get pagers so you can wander?

In reality, we'll probably drop him at CC for elegant night anyhow, and the 3rd night we'll be in port till late so we will probably not use the MDR at all that night. I'm only going to need to make the MDR decision on nights 1 & 4, and yes, this cruise is a trial run before we pay the balance on our 7-night Disney cruise over the New Year.

As for why I bring my child on vacation, I am bringing him because he is my family and I love him. He has always been included on pretty much everything we do.

My husband and I try to get one "adults only" weekend a year, but neither of us have parents who can watch a toddler, or any other local relatives for that matter, so we're never going to be going off for a week at a time kid free. Plus, I miss him when I'm away for very long.

We opted for a cruise this time (vs our original idea of a Key West trip) because it will allow us quality family time, but we can also take advantage of Camp Carnival for a little bit of let down time. That does not mean I plan on dropping my toddler off every hour that they're open though! I'm really looking forward to sharing this adventure with him. He's at that fun age where everything is new and exciting. He's been walking around saying "big boat" for a week. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

The reason I didn't jump on it though is that I hear there are regularly 15-20 minute waits to be seated. That's eternity to a 2-year old!

We've been doing Anytime Dining since it was rolled out in 2008. We've only been given a pager one time (and it was because it was Elegant Night, and we were willing to wait for a table right on the balcony). Even then, we didn't wait more than 5 minutes. Every other time, we've been seated almost immediately...

You've received some great advice here. I think the best was to be flexible. You will just have to see how your child feels and acts...and it may be different from one meal to the next.

You said that 15-20 minutes to wait is an eternity to a two year old...very true. And an hour or two meal can be utter torture--so keep that in mind. Not only will an overtired or overstimulated toddler make you and other passengers unhappy, but think how it must be for him. No reason for a child to be that miserable just to sit through a meal. If it's working out, FABULOUS. If not, enjoy the time with him in a more casual setting.

I commend you for bringing up the topic, and being sensitive to not only your comfort and your child's, but others as well.

As an empty nester (so I've been a toddler mommy too) who is looking forward to cruising with just my husband, I'd be happy to sit at the NEXT ;) table from parents who are as loving and conscientious as you.

Happy sailing!

Haha really?? This is a terrible idea. Walking him outside is just fine. But bringing a mini dvd player to keep him busy is only going to make the problem worse later on. Can't always have a dvd player so what happens later on if you don't have it and thats now what he wants when he eats. Anyways, your 2 yr old will be fine.

I totall disagree with this. We have taken my son on several cruises and used a portable DVD, it worked great. He is now 7 and does just fine without one.

It has been a life safer to us more than once!

I did switch our reservation over to ATD/YTD. I know my husband hates having to be anywhere at a specific time when he's on vacation. He also reminded me of the cattle stampede that is entering the dining room every night.

We'll play it by ear and see how much or how little our son can handle.

Oh - and Little Einstein's and Micky Mouse Clubhouse episodes stored on my iPad are a GODSEND when patience wears thin.

We took our son on his first cruise this past October at about 15 months. We did anytime dining and it worked out great. Like someone else mentioned, we never had to wait for a table and we loved the flexibility (sometimes our son napped longer). We also never requested the same server, but each one would bring our son his food within minutes of sitting (or would at least ask if that is what we would prefer). We always ordered the fruit platter as his starter, so no need to wait for anything to cool down or cook. We were also given crayons and a coloring sheet every night by the hostess.

We're taking him on his next cruise this weekend (Happy Dance!!!! :D) and we can't wait. As parents, I don't think we have to defend our decision to take our children on vacation with us. We will always have those who think we're crazy, but in return, we think they're crazy for NOT wanting to spend time with their kids :p

Enjoy yourself and the memories that will be made! Definitely play it by ear and just go with the flow.

Thank goodness not all children are like that.

...and Kudos to that maitre'd!!

[quote name='Julz226']We're counting down the days to our first family cruise. My husband and I have cruised together 3 times in the past few years but this will be our first trip with our "souvenir" from the Carnival Glory.

We've always done late dining before, but in deference to his bed time, we've signed up for early dining this time around. That said, I want other people's experiences with toddlers in the main dining room (both as parents and as people who have been seated near toddlers).

Honestly, we don't go out to eat very often these days because dining out can be a chore with our DS. Don't get me wrong, he's very well behaved FOR A TWO YEAR OLD. He doesn't always have the patience to sit through a meal so one of us ends up walking him around while the other eats. There is also a certain amount of food that ends up on the floor. Should we just skip our meals and eat on the lido deck? Leave him in Camp Carnival for dinner? Attempt the seated dinner with an active little boy? I'd hate to be rude to other diners, especially any who may have ended up seated at our table:eek: but I also look forward to dinner in the dining room and don't want to feel exiled...[/quote]

As someone who might be seated next to you....personally, I could care less if he throws a side of beef on the floor. I don't care if he is yaking away. The ONLY thing I cannot tolerate in the MDR is a fussy, whiny, and/or crying child. All I would ask (and it sounds like you are those kinda folks anyway), is that if he seems to get fussy or whiny please remove him from the dining room. I never have a problem eating next to babies, in fact, they are entertaining to watch (though I usually feel sorry for the people who have to clean up after them). I just cannot abide a person who will keep their seat when their child is fussy, whining, or God forbid, crying because, "It's my cruise too." Jeeze. Early dining is definitely the way to go also :)

[quote name='RuthlessBoss']Ditto

If people feel quality time is needed, which it is, why do it on a cruise? Does it not deter the cruise vacation itself? You certainly cannot really relax. I think some have no alternative but to take them, I just know I'd wait till they were older.[/QUOTE]

The better question is why NOT spend quality time as a family on a cruise? I'm leaving DD at home for our honeymoon. Our anniversary trip, she is coming along. Not for lack of willing grandparents but because we enjoy being parents and we enjoy our daughter's company.

Vacations to us are not a getaway from our family, they are to spend time doing new and fun things as a family.

We may opt to take a few kid free trips, but that doesn't mean we entirely exclude our child from cruising.

Definitely try and bring the little one! Frankly, even if he isn't at his best, I'll guarantee you his behavior will be better than that of some adults I've witnessed in the MDR. If he gets too fussy you can always cut the meal short, but it's your vacation and I wouldn't let being worried about what other diners might think of you bringing the little guy to dinner keep you from enjoying the MDR - and this is coming from someone with NO kids!

[quote name='M&MGirl1']Definitely try and bring the little one! Frankly, even if he isn't at his best, I'll guarantee you his behavior will be better than that of some adults I've witnessed in the MDR. If he gets too fussy you can always cut the meal short, but it's your vacation and I wouldn't let being worried about what other diners might think of you bringing the little guy to dinner keep you from enjoying the MDR - and this is coming from someone with NO kids![/quote]

I would love to know what ship you were on that you witnessed an adult screaming at the top of his lungs (or even just crying) because his/her family was trying to push them to do more than they were capable of doing. I've been cruising since 1984 and never seen this from an adult. YMMV, of course.

We cruised the 7 night Mexican Riviera on the splendor in Nov and went the the MDR every night with our 5 1/2 yr DD and 17 month DS. we did early seating. The wait staff catered to them bringing out bread and filling up their cups with milk as soon as we came in. our son would get a bit restless but he's an eater so as long as he had something to munch on he was okay. The wait staff would dance with the kids and we had a table with moms on one side and grandparents on the other who were missing their own kids and always asked our DD how her day was. Lots to keep the kids attention. On the last night a couple stopped at our table and told us they weren't worthy to eat in the same restaurant. I asked why and they said they took their boys to camp carnival every night because they didn't want to deal with them and they watched us every night enjoying our meal with our kids. It meant a lot to me and hubby because it is work but its a family vacation and some of our best memories are made and shared around the table. We eat every meal together at home around the table and it doesn't change when we are on vacation.
Don't worry about taking your little one. Try it and if it doesn't work, hit the buffet or there's always camp carnival. Every child and family is different so do what works best for you all and enjoy your vacation no matter what! have a great time.

[quote name='kparc']Going ANYWHERE with a Toddler is SHOCKING!:eek::eek::eek:

I love my kids to - but :eek::eek::eek: on a cruise - on a plane - in a hotel room - you never know what you gonna get! lol[/quote]

I guess it depends on the kid. My 4 year old will be going on his sixth cruise in 2 days ... he has also been to Europe and on countless trips in the US ... no problems at all.

He behaves better than some adults do at dinner. He never complains or calls the waitstaff names.

I spend my time on a cruise with my child because it is MY vacation, and I do not get to spend any other weeks 100% of the time with my child. If I spend it at home, I still have to cook, clean, do everything ... just the way childless people do - just MORE of it. I like quality time with my kid. And yes, I have seen adults act FAR worse than my child has ever acted in the MDR - up to and beyond screaming cuss words at a very scared looking waiter and causing a drunken angry scene. Not every child screams and cries and not every parent does not know their child's limits. When my child cries or seems genuinely unhappy in a situation that I have the ability to leave - I typically do. News for you - most parents do. You are only focused on the ones who don't. You don't notice the scores of us who get up and leave BEFORE our dessert, because our kids look like they've had enough sitting still for one day.

As for dining with kiddos:

We usually do anytime dining so that we don't have to worry about spontaneous naps, or having to eat when no one is hungry. Works much better. We did do late dining when my son was very young 7 months and 13 months - because it was easier to feed him earlier and let him snooze in his stroller while we ate. You may find it easier to feed him first and then go with snacks and sippy to the dining room (and a DVD player if you like a leisurely dinner) ... I find that they manage to keep us all pretty entertained during dinner, and my son often forgets to act like a toddler/preschooler while in the middle of watching all the activity.

My son was not a fan of Camp Carnival until he was nearly 3, but if your son does daycare, he will probably love it. My kiddo can't WAIT for Camp this time - and has been telling everyone for weeks that he is going.

Have a great time! And don't forget to take your son to tea time so all the ladies have a chance to gush over him! Liam always has a great time calling everybody grandma ...

[quote name='Julz226']I wasn't aware of ATD when I booked the cruise but after hearing about it, I looked into it. The reason I didn't jump on it though is that I hear there are regularly 15-20 minute waits to be seated. That's eternity to a 2-year old! I don't want to use up all his "good behavior" waiting to be seated, only to be left with a cranky baby by the time we're actually seated. How does seating work? Do you have to stand around and wait for a table or do you get pagers so you can wander?
[/QUOTE]

ATD begins at 5:45 pm while first seating begins at 6pm. Several nights we went at 5:45 pm and walked right to a table. One night when we put the kids in camp we showed up at 7pm and had to wait 10 mins.

Also ask the waiters what night they sing and dance, it's not every night. Ask them what is the best time to arrive for the "show". My boys loved the singing and dancing and still talk about it!

we also load games & digital books on our iPhones specifically for dinner time.

[quote name='Lisl123']I guess it depends on the kid. My 4 year old will be going on his sixth cruise in 2 days ... he has also been to Europe and on countless trips in the US ... no problems at all.

He behaves better than some adults do at dinner. He never complains or calls the waitstaff names.

I spend my time on a cruise with my child because it is MY vacation, and I do not get to spend any other weeks 100% of the time with my child. If I spend it at home, I still have to cook, clean, do everything ... just the way childless people do - just MORE of it. I like quality time with my kid. And yes, I have seen adults act FAR worse than my child has ever acted in the MDR - up to and beyond screaming cuss words at a very scared looking waiter and causing a drunken angry scene. Not every child screams and cries and not every parent does not know their child's limits. [B]When my child cries or seems genuinely unhappy in a situation that I have the ability to leave - I typically do. News for you - most parents do. You are only focused on the ones who don't. You don't notice the scores of us who get up and leave BEFORE our dessert, because our kids look like they've had enough sitting still for one day. [/B]

As for dining with kiddos:

We usually do anytime dining so that we don't have to worry about spontaneous naps, or having to eat when no one is hungry. Works much better. We did do late dining when my son was very young 7 months and 13 months - because it was easier to feed him earlier and let him snooze in his stroller while we ate. You may find it easier to feed him first and then go with snacks and sippy to the dining room (and a DVD player if you like a leisurely dinner) ... I find that they manage to keep us all pretty entertained during dinner, and my son often forgets to act like a toddler/preschooler while in the middle of watching all the activity.

My son was not a fan of Camp Carnival until he was nearly 3, but if your son does daycare, he will probably love it. My kiddo can't WAIT for Camp this time - and has been telling everyone for weeks that he is going.

Have a great time! And don't forget to take your son to tea time so all the ladies have a chance to gush over him! Liam always has a great time calling everybody grandma ...[/quote]

Just so you know....I actually DO notice the parents who have enough sense and consideration to remove a screaming or fussy child from an area where it is inappropriate (the main show room also comes to mind). I say a quiet prayer of gratitude that the parent is considerate. However, and this is absolutely getting worse as the "me" generation starts procreating, I am noticing more and more parents simply leave their child crying or screaming and completely ignore the "Seriously??", glares that are coming from you know, everyone around them.

I am incredibly thankful for considerate parents like you, but sadly, I think you are becoming the exception. :(

Unfortunately the ME people are out there in all areas.....not just with the kids. It is really a shame that some are not aware they share the universe with others.

[quote name='Vanessa L']Just so you know....I actually DO notice the parents who have enough sense and consideration to remove a screaming or fussy child from an area where it is inappropriate (the main show room also comes to mind). I say a quiet prayer of gratitude that the parent is considerate. However, and this is absolutely getting worse as the "me" generation starts procreating, I am noticing more and more parents simply leave their child crying or screaming and completely ignore the "Seriously??", glares that are coming from you know, everyone around them.

I am incredibly thankful for considerate parents like you, but sadly, I think you are becoming the exception. :([/quote]

Archived