Which is Better?

Leucothea

Is it better, in terms of ship stability on QM2, to be on Deck 10 midship, or Deck 9 fore or aft?

We have never been on QM2 in really, really rough seas, but our experience is that there is more pitch than roll, so I would go for Deck 10 midship. My own personal choice would be deck 5 midships!

It depends upon how much motion you can handle. A few years ago we sailed out of Port Everglades and were fine until we passed the Bahamas at 12:30am and there was a fair bit of motion for relatively calm seas. We were in balcony cabin mid ship on deck 8 in front of the lifeboats. (would never choose those cabins again, there was noise all night).

You can have motion pretty much anywhere.

We were in balcony cabin mid ship on deck 8 in front of the lifeboats. (would never choose those cabins again, there was noise all night).

I never thought of that - but the lifeboats probably do make a noise now you mention it.

Is it better, in terms of ship stability on QM2, to be on Deck 10 midship, or Deck 9 fore or aft?

I was smack bang in the middle of deck 10 and it felt very stable. Waves that made me feel a little squeamish in places like the gym and the Commodore Club were not a problem back in the stateroom.

If it was a difference between deck 9 fore or aft, and amidships on deck 11 or 12, I would probably recommend deck 9. But as you're comparing 9 & 10 I think deck 10 would be your best bet.

We have never been on QM2 in really, really rough seas, but our experience is that there is more pitch than roll, so I would go for Deck 10 midship. My own personal choice would be deck 5 midships!

Been there, loved it. One morning on a TA we heard a passenger complaining about the motion. Her cabin was high and forward. We were midships low and had no complaints at all.

Midships is always best if pitching bothers you.

I don't know why the more expensive cabins are always up high??? - seems counter-intuitive to me. Down low is definitely the way to go!! :)

Barry

That occurred to me too. Maybe its because lower decks are associated with convicts and slaves.:eek:

Definitely midship and low. And with a balcony, must have fresh air!

Maybe its because lower decks are associated with convicts and slaves.:eek:

Please don't speak of my GGGG-Grandfather in that tone of voice!! :)

Anyway- he WAS Irish and it was only a small sheep that he stole!!:o

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice everyone. I completely forgot I started this thread (haven't been on the board in a while). I will no doubt choose a lower deck and midship when possible.

However, the way things are going now with power outages, etc, I'm beginning to wonder about traveling on QM2 just yet; perhaps I'll wait to see if they improve the situation first.

Archived