Credit card question

This used to be an issue, not sure if it is anymore but I couldn't get an answer I was comfortable with from Royal Carib so thought I'd post it here.

I'm Canadian with a U.S. currency credit card. Used to be that Royal Carib was doing currency conversion on Canadian accounts (from American to Canadian) so if you used a U.S. card they would convert to Canadian then the credit card company would convert it back to U.S. (getting hit with currency conversion charges twice).

At some point I seem to remember there was a spot on the Onboard Expense Account section where you could specify that Royal Caribbean should not do currency conversion, but I can't find it now. Is this still an issue or do they put all charges through in U.S. funds and let the credit card companies deal with it?

This used to be an issue, not sure if it is anymore but I couldn't get an answer I was comfortable with from Royal Carib so thought I'd post it here.

I'm Canadian with a U.S. currency credit card. Used to be that Royal Carib was doing currency conversion on Canadian accounts (from American to Canadian) so if you used a U.S. card they would convert to Canadian then the credit card company would convert it back to U.S. (getting hit with currency conversion charges twice).

At some point I seem to remember there was a spot on the Onboard Expense Account section where you could specify that Royal Caribbean should not do currency conversion, but I can't find it now. Is this still an issue or do they put all charges through in U.S. funds and let the credit card companies deal with it?

There is still a box that you tick if you do NOT want RCI to convert the charges. I leave the charges in U.S and my CC company converts it.

In your Cruise Documentation PDF, you should have a page that says "Charge Account & Cruise Ticket". Near the bottom of the page, it says:

For Non-US Issued MasterCard or Visa Card Holders: If you use a MasterCard® or Visa Card® issued outside of the US which is billed in any of the following currencies: AUD, CAD, CHF, DKK, EUR, HKD, JPY, MXP, NOK, SEK, GBP, Royal Caribbean International offers a service where the full amount of your charges are converted, at your election, to the currency of your card by our conversion agent, Global Card Services, Inc., using the exchange rate in effect at the time the amounts are charged to your card.

[ ] B. I choose to have my credit card issuer convert my onboard charges to the currency of my card in lieu of participating in the Royal Caribbean International currency program. (See terms below.)

If I opt for my charges to be converted by my credit card issuer, or if my card is not billed in one of the billing currencies listed, my charges will be processed in the onboard currency (USD) and the issuer of my card may charge a service fee for currency conversion.

After say day 2, check with customer services on-board to ensure your request has been actioned.

Definitely good advice! I normally do this, but last week on Serenade it was such a port intensive cruise, I completely forgot to go to Guest Services during the week to make sure they'd noted this.

When we received our account summary the morning we were disembarking, even though I'd ticked the box and put a HUGE star beside it, RCI still converted it to Canadian funds. Of course, the lineup at Guest Services that morning was very long, so in view of the fact that the exchange rate is not bad right now, I decided to just accept what they had done. I just did not have time to stand in line for an hour.

It just irks me that they never pay attention to what's marked. This happens to me every time we sail with them. Yes definitely check during the week and make sure they have it noted.:rolleyes:

Not this year - we are on a b2b on the Freedom as per my signature!! We leave for Orlando on Thursday for a 3 night pre cruise stay!!!!

Very cool Robyn! One day we'll do a B2B but for now a week at a time. 3 weeks today baby!!!! :)

I've seen it on the Setsail pass when you print that out...

thanks kc. I finally found the form with the tickable box tucked into my cruise docs. thanks to everyone who responded and hancogran, that's definitely good advice. I usually harp on them at checkin to make sure they've picked up my "tick".

Very cool Robyn! One day we'll do a B2B but for now a week at a time. 3 weeks today baby!!!! :)

thanks kc. I finally found the form with the tickable box tucked into my cruise docs. thanks to everyone who responded and hancogran, that's definitely good advice. I usually harp on them at checkin to make sure they've picked up my "tick".

Thanks.. never thought about that one!... note to self !

Archived