Places to buy wine in Honolulu?

Middleager

Most everything in Hawaii is more expensive than the mainland, but not so much that I would bring wine with me from the mainland.

If you are going to be in Honolulu for a few days before the cruise, I'd go to Tamura Fine Wine and Liquor. Not only will they have great wine, they have some of the best poke anywhere.

http://www.tamurasfinewine.com/

For ABC stores, the quality of the wine varies by location. The ABC I go to on Lewers by the Halekulani has a much better selection than the ABC's I see in the main part of Waikiki.

Safeway on Kapahulu has a great wine selection too and it is close to Leonard's Bakery!

Had to google "poke".............interesting. Raw fish in a wine store, hummm! Might have to check it out

• 3 months later...
For buying wine to bring onto cruise, I guess it'll be better to buy a 1.5L bottle as it'll be charged the same corkage fee as a 750ml bottle.:D

That has never been my experience (San Francisco, LA, Sonoma County, Lake Tahoe, Santa Cruz...). A magnum has always been double the price for corkage.

I haven't brought a magnum or larger on a cruise as we have always been two at dinner. It would be interesting to find out if cruise ships don't differentiate... It would last a few nights too.... I love Celebrity. Anyone know about them?

Ha. Just saw this thread brought back to life.

NCL would charge double corkage fee, $30, for 1.5L bottle.

The prices at the ABC stores are not bad. And definitely much better than Ontario.

We did buy some wine bottles from Costco, that we handed to security, that we then brought back to Canada. Had to go get those wine on the last night of the cruise.

We also did bring a black box (also from Costco) in. It was decent wine. Kept on getting a wine glass from the bars. We missed the Past Guest party, which I imagine would've provided some free alcohol. But that's ok, we tried to maximize our time at each port.

I don't think that drinks here are that much more expensive. Most of the fancy "umbrella" drinks at the nice hotels run about $10. But, for that price you will usually get a fabulous ocean view, some music and hula, and if you are lucky..a gorgeous sunset. Basic mixed drinks will be less expensive. Wines by the glass can run from about $7.00 on up depending on the type of wine you are ordering.

Sounds wonderful!

Could you possibly suggest a "nice hotel" that we could do this, [close to the Port would be a Bonus]- Your suggestion sounds great to relax with a drink watching the sunset and Hula after a long excursion? We are in Port that night until 11pm...

After reading the header on this thread and cruising through it I have to agree on the ABC store

Did you know that ABC stands for

Any

Block

and

Corner.

Yeah, they are everywhere, just like flies

In fact when we stayed at the Hyatt, they had 2:eek:

They have everything.

Bananas, about $1.00 a piece.

And touristy souveniers for that special someone.

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

Archived