Places to buy wine in Honolulu?

Middleager

Besides Costco, there will be wine/liquor stores, plus you can buy wine in just about any grocery or convenience store, even drug stores. There will probably be something much closer to your hotel than a Costco - they tend to be in the outskirts of cities.

ABC stores have many of the popular inexpensive wines, such as Yellowtail (regular size bottle cost about $6.00 last year - cheaper than at home). I recall getting a bottle of Ravenswood Zinfandel there, and don't remember what all else, but a pretty good selection of inexpensive reds. They also sell a very good red made in Hawaii. I can't recall the name of it, but it seems like it had a lot of vowels (ha ha) and maybe started with a "U." They also sold that brand on the Pride of America. Wish I could get it here.

There is a Longs Drugs Store and a Safeway store at the corner of Pali Hwy (becomes Bishop Street) and Vineyard. It's less than 10 blocks Mauka (towards the mountains) from the pier. There is also a Longs near the corner of Bishop and Hotel (about half the distance) but it's a smaller store with shorter hours.

There is a Longs Drugs Store and a Safeway store at the corner of Pali Hwy (becomes Bishop Street) and Vineyard. It's less than 10 blocks Mauka (towards the mountains) from the pier. There is also a Longs near the corner of Bishop and Hotel (about half the distance) but it's a smaller store with shorter hours.

Safeway has sale prices that are cheaper than Costco & if you purchase 6 bottles you get an additional 10% off. During a Chef's Table I was introduced to Kenwood's Jack London Cabarnet Sauvignon which is around $60 plus 15% tip onboard. Safeway (Vons in LA) had it 30% off plus an additional 10% off for a 6-pack so even with the $15 corkage the net cost was about half of buying it onboard.

I've found the Walmart prices here in Maui considerably more than Safeway's discounted prices or at Costco. Longs & ABC regular prices aren't great but sale pricing is okay.

Costco has a large selection of many types of wine from about $7 to over $100. They even had a 3 liter box of Black Box Cabarnet Sauvignon for $18...that's the equivalent to $4.50/bottle. They have many of the same wines sold onboard for much less even if you pay corkage to enjoy it in the MDR or a specialty restaurant. :D

Safeway has sale prices that are cheaper than Costco & if you purchase 6 bottles you get an additional 10% off. During a Chef's Table I was introduced to Kenwood's Jack London Cabarnet Sauvignon which is around $60 plus 15% tip onboard. Safeway (Vons in LA) had it 30% off plus an additional 10% off for a 6-pack so even with the $15 corkage the net cost was about half of buying it onboard.

I've found the Walmart prices here in Maui considerably more than Safeway's discounted prices or at Costco. Longs & ABC regular prices aren't great but sale pricing is okay.

Costco has a large selection of many types of wine from about $7 to over $100. They even had a 3 liter box of Black Box Cabarnet Sauvignon for $18...that's the equivalent to $4.50/bottle. They have many of the same wines sold onboard for much less even if you pay corkage to enjoy it in the MDR or a specialty restaurant. :D

That's good to know. Thanks.

For what it's worth, we pack a box of the black box wine in our luggage. It usually lasts the entire trip. We drink it in the room. We don't walk around the ship with it or take it to dinner.

How is the quality of this Black Box Cab Sauv? I guess this box does escape the detection from the X-ray machine as it is not a bottle.

For overland stays in Honolulu, is wine and liquor significantly more expensive vs. the mainland that it would be worthwhile to pay, say, $25 to check a bag for the flight over and bring wine and a bottle or two of liquor with us?

I'm operating under the assumption that nearly everything on Oahu is significantly more expensive than on the mainland. It may be a mistaken assumption.

We don't drink a lot, but a couple we're traveling that loves wine and mixed drinks. They don't drink like fish, but we're all on a budget. I'm thinking they might be shocked at the price of a glass of wine in a restaurant or a mixed drink at a bar. Although I have to admit I don't know what the going prices might be for glasses of wine or mixed drinks at various bars and restaurants along Waikiki. What type of prices should we expect to pay for drinks by the glass?

I don't think that drinks here are that much more expensive. Most of the fancy "umbrella" drinks at the nice hotels run about $10. But, for that price you will usually get a fabulous ocean view, some music and hula, and if you are lucky..a gorgeous sunset. Basic mixed drinks will be less expensive. Wines by the glass can run from about $7.00 on up depending on the type of wine you are ordering.

When you get here, go to a Long's Drugs and buy some wine and a bottle of booze or a 12-pack. Long's has very god prices for liquor. I would never schlepp liquor on the plane....just not worth it at all. And, you will not want to be sitting in your hotel room drinking....you will want to be out and about!

I don't think that drinks here are that much more expensive. Most of the fancy "umbrella" drinks at the nice hotels run about $10. But, for that price you will usually get a fabulous ocean view, some music and hula, and if you are lucky..a gorgeous sunset. Basic mixed drinks will be less expensive. Wines by the glass can run from about $7.00 on up depending on the type of wine you are ordering.

When you get here, go to a Long's Drugs and buy some wine and a bottle of booze or a 12-pack. Long's has very god prices for liquor. I would never schlepp liquor on the plane....just not worth it at all. And, you will not want to be sitting in your hotel room drinking....you will want to be out and about!

Sounds good, thanks. Great points / info. Glad to hear things aren't as expensive as I thought. And the views will be priceless. :-)

The Black Box wines are quite good. Rate well. It's not a high-end wine, but then I don't drink bottles over $40 anyway.

The Maui Costco has the 3 liter Black Box Cab for $17.99 (plus 4.1% tax on everything including food) which comes out to $4.50 per 750ml bottle.

The Maui Costco has the 3 liter Black Box Cab for $17.99 (plus 4.1% tax on everything including food) which comes out to $4.50 per 750ml bottle.

That's a very good price.

Wonder if POA finds a passenger bringing such a box, how would they charge the corkage fee? They could charge $15 for this "bottle", even though they don't need to do any uncorking.

That's a very good price.

Wonder if POA finds a passenger bringing such a box, how would they charge the corkage fee? They could charge $15 for this "bottle", even though they don't need to do any uncorking.

I don't know how NCL handles wine being brought onboard because I usually sail Princess who basically allows unlimited wine/champagne to consume in cabins & if in the MDR then has a $15 corkage fee. Princess allows 1.5 liter bottles for that price but does not accept a box of wine in the MDR & have never heard of any cruise line who would do it.

• 3 months later...

Hawaii prices vs home prices depends greatly on your state/country. Canadians will love the prices. ;)

Our San Diego Costcos don't carry box wine, but I've never seen Black Box for less than $17.99 here.

Hawaii prices vs home prices depends greatly on your state/country. Canadians will love the prices. ;)

Our San Diego Costcos don't carry box wine, but I've never seen Black Box for less than $17.99 here.

It's $15.99 in North Carolina. (Provided for comparison purposes)

Most everything in Hawaii is more expensive than the mainland, but not so much that I would bring wine with me from the mainland.

If you are going to be in Honolulu for a few days before the cruise, I'd go to Tamura Fine Wine and Liquor. Not only will they have great wine, they have some of the best poke anywhere.

http://www.tamurasfinewine.com/

For ABC stores, the quality of the wine varies by location. The ABC I go to on Lewers by the Halekulani has a much better selection than the ABC's I see in the main part of Waikiki.

Safeway on Kapahulu has a great wine selection too and it is close to Leonard's Bakery!

Archived