National Express LHR to Southampton

jerwick

Have read many threads on National Express but need help on how strict they are on the weight restriction 0f 20kg (44 lbs) per bag with 2 bag allowance.

Since Virgin Air allows 70 lbs to LHR this could pose a problem.

Appreciate any help you can give. Also were you allowed to take your carryon onboard or did they make you check it?

Jerry

You are allowed 2 bags of 20kg each. That is 88lbs per person! More than the airlines allow. The 'carry-on' to take in the coach with you would have to be small enough to fit in your seat space or in the narrow overhead shelf, i.e. not an airline size small suitcase.

Cinnamon

• 3 weeks later...

I rode a National Express Coach from London to Southampton. I was concerned about the weight limits too, since they were less than the airlines, but not to worry. No one seemed to be checking them. It's a bus, so the bags only have to be lifted about a foot off the ground into the undercarriage luggage compartment. Try to do it yourself even, so the driver can't complain about the weight. As for carryons, I'm sure you've ridden a motorcoach before, so just use your common sense about what will fit in the overhead compartment and under the seat in front of you. The space is good for just smaller personal type carryons, not a rolling suitcase that you would take on a plane.

It's an easy trip, the coaches are clean and comfortable. The only negative to the whole experience is the lact of cabs in Southampton. They are not routinely waiting at the Coach Terminal for arriving passengers, so there is a dispatch desk in the Terminal and cabs are called. I waited probably 20 minutes for a cab, but that was because I did not know to immediately go to the desk.

• 2 months later...

We are thinking of taking National Express Coach from Heathrow to Southhampton but I have a few questions that I'd appreciate if someone who's used them could answer.

1. How far in advance did you purchase your tickets?

2. How far from the terminal at the airport do you have to go to get the bus?

3. Are there porters or a luggage cart to take your luggage there?

4. I know a cab has to be called when you arrive at Southhampton to take you to the ship but what about when you return from the cruise how do you get a cab to take you to the bus depot at Southhampton? Are there cabs at the dock?

5. Do you also book the return trip when booking the initial one out there?

6. How long should we allow from the time we get off the ship until we get to the airport (Heathrow)? I'm trying to see if I can catch a 1:45PM but we have to be there 3 hours earlier.

7. When you buy the tickets do you also specify the times you want for both trips?

Sorry for so many questions but I just started planning. Thanks.

I try to give some answers.

1. How far in advance did you purchase your tickets?

Because I was not sure how much time baggage claiming and passport control would take, I did not buy tickets in advance but just went to the ticket office at the bus station and bought the tickets maybe 5 minutes before the coach left. Yet, I arrived early. Thus if this coach had been sold out, there would not have been a problem with taking the next or the one after that.

Depends on the terminal. If I remember right, it is close to terminal 1,2 and 3. Less than 10 minutes walk.

There are luggage carts.

4. I know a cab has to be called when you arrive at Southhampton to take you to the ship but what about when you return from the cruise how do you get a cab to take you to the bus depot at Southhampton? Are there cabs at the dock?

There should be taxis at the cruise terminal.

5. Do you also book the return trip when booking the initial one out there?

You can. Depending on the offers available it might even be cheaper.

6. How long should we allow from the time we get off the ship until we get to the airport (Heathrow)? I'm trying to see if I can catch a 1:45PM but we have to be there 3 hours earlier.

1:45 flight, 3 hours early -> 10:45 at the airport -> 9:30 latest direct coach departure -> sounds tight, you need to check the national express schedule.

(Yet, in my experience, you do not really need to be at the airport three hours early even if they say so.)

7. When you buy the tickets do you also specify the times you want for both trips?

To make sure you get to the airport in time it might be advisable not to take the risk of not getting a seat if you are on a tight schedule.

2. Some of the services also call at Terminal 4, if your flight operates to that terminal. Check on the National Express website.

3. There are porters available as well. The BAA website has this information:-

If you would like to use the services of a porter you can use the uniformed Skycap porters. Each transaction costs a flat rate of £7 for a standard amount of baggage.

Porters are available on all the terminal forecourts and in the baggage reclaim halls. They can also be contacted from the telephone help points that are located on the forecourts, in the short stay car parks, the baggage reclaim halls, the underground station and in the central bus station.

For further information telephone +44 (0)20 8745 5727 or +44 (0)20 8745 6011.

Archived