Arriving into Tahiti at 11pm?

psyfi

The ATN schedule has planes landing at 11 at night. I have seen photos of welcome bands playing in the airport, would they do this at 11 pm? Is there someone handing out leis? Do you have to arrange for that or do you just pay them if you want one? How hard is it to get a Taxi at that time of night and how much would it cost to get to the Intercontinental? Just wondering if a ship transfer would be a better plan (since the hotel would be part of the pre package through princess). Thanks in advance!

We arrived this past October at around 11:30 pm and there was a small polynesian band and a dancer welcoming the passangers to tahiti. The greeter had flowers that they passed out also. We stayed at the intercontinental and had prearranged to have a transfer to the hotel. When you get through customs and out to the main part of the airport there will be people with signs indicating who they represent. Look for who you arranged a transfer with (the hotel can make a recommendation and were very helpful to us). When we got there and found our ground transportation they had a lei for us. Doesn't hurt to ask about the lei greeting when you make arrangements for transportation to the hotel.

Good luck and enjoy. This was the best trip we have taken to date!

We arrived this past October at around 11:30 pm and there was a small polynesian band and a dancer welcoming the passangers to tahiti. The greeter had flowers that they passed out also. We stayed at the intercontinental and had prearranged to have a transfer to the hotel. When you get through customs and out to the main part of the airport there will be people with signs indicating who they represent. Look for who you arranged a transfer with (the hotel can make a recommendation and were very helpful to us). When we got there and found our ground transportation they had a lei for us. Doesn't hurt to ask about the lei greeting when you make arrangements for transportation to the hotel.

Having never done it before, I have a few questions on prearranging airport/hotel transfers.

We are also staying at the IC in April and arriving on a similar late flight. How far in advance did you make the arrangements through the hotel? The way airlines routinely change flight times anymore, I'd prefer to wait till I'm closer to the arrival date so that I know the time is for real rather than scheduling now and having to contact them later with changes. But I also don't want to wait too long and have their recommended transport unavailable.

Also, if you make arrangements through the hotel, how do you pay? Does it become part of your hotel bill or do you pay the driver at the time of transport? If you paid the driver, did he take US$ or do I have to convert money before arrival?

I see that your transfer included the lei greeting. Did anyone ask you if you wanted the lei greeting as part of the scheduling process? If not, do you make the request to the hotel when you inquire or to the transport company directly? I think that traditional lei greeting would help set the vacation mood nicely!

And, finally, do you just tell them what time your flight is scheduled to arrive and leave it to them to figure out what time you will actually be ready for pickup? I wouldn't have a very good guess how long it takes to get off, collect luggage, and get through customs in Tahiti while I assume they have a better handle on that process.

Thanks for the info on arrival welcoming and the heads-up on making pre-arrival transport arrangements!

I was there many years ago and am returning this year. You have to remember this is still a relatively small airport with only a few carriers using it. Most hotels are aware of flight schedules but it is best to ask these question by email to their conseirge as they will know the details and give them to you. We arrived at 3am and the band and the lei's were still going strong. Most flights from major travel countries arrive overnight. Australia may be one that is during a day time.

We made our transportation arrangements with the tour company that had a desk at the IC. I believe it was Marama. They picked us up at the airport on arrival and then a couple of days later to the ship. We made our arrangements at least 2-3 months in advance just to make sure we had this checked off our list. When we made our transportation arrangements we asked about the lei greeting. I beleive it cost extra but it was well worth it as it definately added to the overall arrival experience.

Trend is correct. The tour companies and hotels know if there is a delay in airflights and will be there when the planes arrive. When you get to the ariport look for the tour company name. They had a white board there with the passengers names so you could tell where to stand. They did a great job of getting us our leis and on the right shuttle to the correct hotel.

We made our transportation arrangements with the tour company that had a desk at the IC. I believe it was Marama. They picked us up at the airport on arrival and then a couple of days later to the ship. We made our arrangements at least 2-3 months in advance just to make sure we had this checked off our list. When we made our transportation arrangements we asked about the lei greeting. I beleive it cost extra but it was well worth it as it definately added to the overall arrival experience.

Trend is correct. The tour companies and hotels know if there is a delay in airflights and will be there when the planes arrive. When you get to the ariport look for the tour company name. They had a white board there with the passengers names so you could tell where to stand. They did a great job of getting us our leis and on the right shuttle to the correct hotel.

Thanks for the info. I guess I better make my arrangements. :)

Marama tours does the transfers for both Princess & Independent bookings. They have website!!!! We arrived at airport about 11:15PM Very warm!!! wear light clothes! Anyway, after exiting the secure area--1/25/12there were our names on a board--given flower lei's (lovely but don't last--smell wonderful) off to a large mini van vehicle --short 10 minute ride to IC with our luggage. we were in our 3rd floor Panoramic room by 12:30 at the latest! Here is something to know: On the day they transfer you to the ship--have them collect your luggage-we did not realize that they could take it with thePrincess transfer people--we made it clear don't mix it up with the Princess transfer people--didn't matter as they put it all together, anyway under a canopy . You have to make sure it is there--they take the luggage in a seperate vehicle but you tell the luggage handlers which luggage is yours & watch them put it in the vehicle., then the Princess transfer people went in another bus-left about 11ish . we went in a separate bus-not nearly as many people plus we arrived before them & got on the ship right away. We in our cabins by 12:15 & went right to lunch as the ship does not want you in before 12:30PM in case the stewart is not done-did drop our carryons. We had them open the balcony doors as we had 2 rooms together. Not sure where you cruise ends but if it does in Papette--you can stay on the ship until time to transfer to the airport in the evening--several people did day rooms at different hotels. We stayed an extra night in overthe water bugalows then transfer to airport about 9pm. Any other questions let me know-you can email me kw472@comcast.net if want to--Lovedthe whole trip!!! Can give you lots of heads up regarding the trip--of course not sure where you are going to go!!!!

You probably know already, but just in case.....

The market across from the dock has some gorgeous floral arrangements for pretty reasonable prices. Nice to have in your cabin and some will last the entire 10 day cruise (especially the "waxy" ones).

Wish we were going again. One of our favorite cruises.

We usually just grab a cab and go directly to the IC Papette--not great for me to be waiting for someone who is expected to find the shuttle--we prefer just going when we have our luggage--I'm not good at getting on the bus etc and waiting and trying to find my luggage after arrival at the hotel--the IC Papeete is great for getting easy transportation to the pier when you are ready to leave--

Nancy:D:D

Thanks everyone! Our plan at this point for Jan 2013 is to use Pricess transfers as they are included in our pre cruise, 1night IC Tahiti, 3nights OWB Hilton Moorea. I will definitely pick up flowers for the cabin. Can't wait!

Archived