Car rental in Gustavia.

ukcdnlass

I rented from Turbe, do a google search. They are at the airport, but will be waiting at the dock for you, with a sign with your name. The airport is about a 5 minute drive from the docks. I did make my reservation online about 3-4 weeks before we arrived. Great service, just remember in St. Barts the parking in town is limited and the streets are narrow so get a SMALL car. You will see alot of Smart cars that should be a clue to the roads and parking...Cost in March was less than $40.00 a day which included insurance. Have fun, we do....:):o

As you get off the tender, walk straight and Alamo is on your left.. You can pick up and drop off your vehicle at the location where the tender picks up and drops off. Sign the papers just a few feet from the tender.

ST BARTS - HARBOUR FERRY STATION

GUSTAVIA HARBOUR

GUSTAVIA, ST BARTHELEMY, 97133

NETHERLANDS ANTILLES

Drop-Off Location:

GUSTAVIA HARBOUR

NETHERLANDS ANTILLES

We rented from one of the majors like Hertz, and walked the short distance from where the tender drops you to their office. We thought the car would be there, but they took us to the airport after we filled out the paperwork at the office. It was no big deal, however, as the airport is close, and the street where the rental place was located is too narrow and too congested to allow ANY company to park cars there, from what I could tell. It worked out fine, but of course you need to remember that you'll need a little bit of time for them to come get you at the airport when you return the car, and get you back to the tender area. When you're at the airport, notice the short runway, and when you're on your way there, if you see cars parked off the street at a circle, that's because planes go right over head at that point - quite amazing to see. That landing is a wild one, I hear, and the pilots need special training to do it, because of the terrain, short runway with beach and water at end, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My wife and I arrive Gustavia on March 27 for one day. Have rented a subcompact from Avis for 36 Euros (10% discount for renting online and it seems that March 31 is the breakpoint for the high season transition). We will be picked up at the port and taken to the airport to get the car where I wanted to see the suicide landings anyway (Look at some You Tube videos of planes coming in). I automatically assume that I will have to fill up a rental car with gas or pay an astronomical fee. Noticed on Google maps that there is a gas station right near the airport (I think there may be only 2 on the whole island). Don't know if it takes credit cards or if cash is required. Since we will be sailing to Martinique as our next port, we will probably pick up some Euros at an ATM anyway.

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...
I'm just curious how you paid for your car? Did you use Euros or use a credit card? If you used a card, was there an exchange fee? Also, did you fill the car up with gas before you returned it and if so, were you able to use a credit card for that? Thanks!

Yes there is a exchange fee on certain credit cards . I have Capital One so no charge.

The gas stations will not take a credit card unless it has microchip-embedded in it . If it is not European it will not have it. So you have to pay cash if someone is there or have the rental car company fill it up

Euro is 1.26 against the dollar today last year it was 1.41

• 1 month later...
As you get off the tender, walk straight and Alamo is on your left.. You can pick up and drop off your vehicle at the location where the tender picks up and drops off. Sign the papers just a few feet from the tender.

GUSTAVIA HARBOUR

NETHERLANDS ANTILLES

Thanks. I just took your advice and booked with Alamo. Sounds very convenient!

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this has been addressed or if it is still an issue:

If you need to fill up with gas before returning your rental car and your credit card isn't set up with the embedded micro chipped - the filling station by the airport used to close for an hour or so in the middle of the afternoon. No way to pay cash at that time but you can use the embedded credit cards.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a good experience with Turbe.

Two of my credit cards now have the embedded chips. Chase sent me one a year ago and I just received a special Bank of America "travel" Visa with one. They can be used anywhere with no problem, and in the case of B of A, no 1% foreign transaction fee is charged.

I had a good experience with Turbe.

Two of my credit cards now have the embedded chips. Chase sent me one a year ago and I just received a special Bank of America "travel" Visa with one. They can be used anywhere with no problem, and in the case of B of A, no 1% foreign transaction fee is charged.

Thanks--I will check it out!