Rum Runners

Berniecruiser53

Is it stealing, or is it not stealing? Depending on your moral beliefs, you will choose one side or the other of that argument.

But it all boils down to this simple fact - if you are doing something that you have to sneak around to do, then that something is likely wrong. If it wasn't wrong, you would not need to sneak around to do it. If you are sneaking around to try to trick someone (ie, the cruiseline, and going against their rules, which you agreed to when you purchased your ticket) then you are being dishonest. Define it as stealing, or don't define it as stealing, it is still dishonest at best. If you think you are justified in doing something dishonest because drink prices are too high or whatever other reason, then so be it.

Criticizing people who believe in following the rules, and labeling them as condescending or riding a high horse or the like to somehow justify your own choice to do this, does not change the facts. Many people doing this does in fact affect the bottom line so therefore affects the prices for all of us who cruise Celebrity. Otherwise I wouldn't care if you smuggled in all the tequila in Mexico. Heaven knows I am not Mother Theresa. But it does, so I do.

Welcome to Cruise Critic --

This being your first post, you are probably not aware that you have touched on a "hot button" topic -- namely asking for advice on circumventing Celebrity's rules. While some support this effort, many others do not, as a search of this board will show you. That being said, there are some indications that the newest scanners used at some ports are capable of "seeing" rum runners' contents, and that you would not be allowed to bring this liquor on with you.

I believe that most people understand and appreciate that Celebrity is a business and as such develop revenue generating strategies and tactics to meet their shareholders demand for profit, so in tough times some things have to go like the food budget in the MDR.

As I understand it, the actual revenue from cabins contributes towards the capital cost of the ship, crews salaries, fuel, ship maintenance, port duties and food etc. and because it is a competitive industry cabin revenues is low margin. Without encouraging passengers to drink, buy goods in the on board shops and going on shore excursion any particular cruise run would loose money as cabin sales would not be sufficient to cover all the costs and make a profit.

One of the revenue generating tactics is to not allow bottles of hard liquor to be brought on board by a passenger. As far as the cruise industry is concerned contraband are bottles of booze (hard liquor). This ban is simply to prevent the loss of potential revenue, as the sale of beverages onboard ship is their biggest profit-earning area.

Example: Their calculation is the loss of potential revenue for just one 32oz bottle of whisky smuggled on board is $442.

REMEMBER that booze has a VERY high profit margin. (32oz bottle = 32 shots X $12 = $384 X 15% service charge = $442)

I believe that most people understand and appreciate that Celebrity is a business and as such develop revenue generating strategies and tactics to meet their shareholders demand for profit, so in tough times some things have to go like the food budget in the MDR.

As I understand it, the actual revenue from cabins contributes towards the capital cost of the ship, crews salaries, fuel, ship maintenance, port duties and food etc. and because it is a competitive industry cabin revenues is low margin. Without encouraging passengers to drink, buy goods in the on board shops and going on shore excursion any particular cruise run would loose money as cabin sales would not be sufficient to cover all the costs and make a profit.

One of the revenue generating tactics is to not allow bottles of hard liquor to be brought on board by a passenger. As far as the cruise industry is concerned contraband are bottles of booze (hard liquor). This ban is simply to prevent the loss of potential revenue, as the sale of beverages onboard ship is their biggest profit-earning area.

Example: Their calculation is the loss of potential revenue for just one 32oz bottle of whisky smuggled on board is $442.

REMEMBER that booze has a VERY high profit margin. (32oz bottle = 32 shots X $12 = $384 X 15% service charge = $442)

Exactly! And this is the only reason most of us care. It DOES affect all of us. I am not the moral police. I am not perfect. I don't care if someone takes three girlfriends along on his cruise in addition to his wife. But if it affects what I pay for a cruise then I DO care, and I have a right to care.

Exactly! And this is the only reason most of us care. It DOES affect all of us. I am not the moral police. I am not perfect. I don't care if someone takes three girlfriends along on his cruise in addition to his wife. But if it affects what I pay for a cruise then I DO care, and I have a right to care.

What if the wife smuggles Rum Runners...but his girlfriends purchase a drink package? Should the wife be forced to disembark while the guy enjoys his girlfriends AND their drink package? Oh wait...no sharing allowed with the drink package. :rolleyes:

What if the wife smuggles Rum Runners...but his girlfriends purchase a drink package? Should the wife be forced to disembark while the guy enjoys his girlfriends AND their drink package? Oh wait...no sharing allowed with the drink package. :rolleyes:

LOL, Gary, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!!!!! This is getting nauseating!

I used the RumRunners for 4 cruises. When Celebrity finally came out with the Beverage Packages I mothballed the Rumrunners as it just wasn't worth it. And before the "Rules Police" come and give me their lectures the reason I used the RumRunners at first is that Celebrity never stocked the liquor of my choice. I finally gave up, easier to use the Bev Packages but I could care less if someone thinks I am costing them money by using a RumRunner. Give me a break.:rolleyes:

Archived