Rum Runners

Berniecruiser53

Do not know why rules cannot be followed. It is an obsession for some to try and find a way around any rule that is posted. Must be in their genes. It's the same with the smoking rules. ;)

Please don't compare it with smoking, this is stealing the same that the "sharing drinks packages" threads, by bringing beverages you are not allowed onboard you are stealing the cruise line and enforcings drunk behaviours which are really dissappinting and annoying and even dangerous for the other passengers. I don't pay thousands of dollars to be arround wasted people since early morning. Because who does this is nor a regular or occasional drinker, if you are just going to drink a few cocktais in the cruise you don't take the risk of sneaking your own alcohol, besides prices of ship drinks are not high, in fact I think they are really cheap, here in Spain a regular gin tonic can cost 13$ in not a very fancy bar or pub.

Actually, a much better analogy would be if you owned a Jaguar, were driving to a neighboring state and at the border, they pulled you over, forced you to park your car in an underground garage and rent the exact same car from them for $100 a day. People might be inclined to find another way across the border.

The cruise lines can charge exorbitant amounts of money for beverages because they leave you no other option than abstinence, which most people don't care to practice on vacation. They do this so that they can keep the berths priced as low as possible figuring it's much easier to deny oneself a cruise vacation when sitting behind a computer monitor and faced with a $2,000 decision than it is to deny oneself a $9 Planter's Punch poolside once you're on board.

It's great for non-drinkers or light drinkers, who continue to get tremendous value for a cruise vacation (where else can you get lodging, island-to-island transportation, and all your meals paid for for under $100 a day?) but it sucks for the heavy drinkers whose added expenditure helps subsidize the cost of cruising for everyone else. It's along this fracture that the battle lines are typically drawn in these debates.

This is still not a valid comparison. If you stayed home you could buy your booze at the store. If you go out to a restaurant or a resort you will pay the same kind of prices as the cruiseline charges. That's the valid comparison. Do you sneak a bottle into the restaurant with you?

This is still not a valid comparison. If you stayed home you could buy your booze at the store. If you go out to a restaurant or a resort you will pay the same kind of prices as the cruiseline charges. That's the valid comparison. Do you sneak a bottle into the restaurant with you?

Into a restaurant for two hours, no. However, if I'm going away for a week, I have yet to find a hotel anywhere on Earth that didn't allow me to bring a bottle of scotch to my room. If I go to a resort, I have the option of getting a $7 beer poolside or swimming for a little while and then going back to my room to have one. I'm not left with the dual options of paying outrageous drink prices or being a teetotaler for a week.

The comparison is entirely valid. Bring your own alcohol on board may be against the rules, but it isn't "stealing." Stealing means taking something that does not belong to you. If I think Celebrity's drink prices are too high and combat this by waiting until the bartender isn't looking and then jacking a bottle of Wild Turkey and running away with it, THAT'S stealing. Choosing not to purchase their drinks is not. If you drove your car from Florida into Georgia and they stopped you at the border and forced you to rent a car identical to your own at an inflated price, that would be parallel to taking a bottle of liquor away from you at the gangway and then forcing you to buy the same thing from them at 10x the price.

For the record, I'm sailing in November and am not smuggling booze on board. I bought the Premium package and think that it's a great alternative to this issue. However, I'm not one who is going to base my behavior entirely and without exception on "the rules." I'm always going to look for an angle, and I don't necessarily blame people who smuggle. The fair solution would be for the lines to drop their drink prices back to more normal levels, which would discourage smuggling, and make the difference up in the cruise fare, which is very low as it is (they won't, for the reason I detailed above.)

high prices? please tell me how much costs in the USA a drink, because here in Spain is much more expensive that in cruises.

Drink prices here vary a lot depending on the type of establishment and area of the country. Here in Chicago the drink prices in nice restaurants are higher too.

A lot of people are comparing the drink prices on board to the price of a bottle in a retail store. This is not comparable but it is difficult to convince some of that.

Drink prices here vary a lot depending on the type of establishment and area of the country. Here in Chicago the drink prices in nice restaurants are higher too.

A lot of people are comparing the drink prices on board to the price of a bottle in a retail store. This is not comparable but it is difficult to convince some of that.

But tell me if in a medium establishment are higher than that. Of course buying a bottle and drinking it on you house is cheaper in any country, but I don't take bottles with me when I go party.

For a normal person who drinks a normal amount the prices are really good, if want to get wasted everyday people should look for other kind of cruiselines that include all the alcohol (like pullmantour), go to a resort to places like Republica Dominicana or just stay home drinking till they pass out.

Remember you can get kicked out if you are too drunk, I don't want to be mean but as long as other people are so tight with other policies it should be the same with all of them.

Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to revoke or otherwise restrict drinking privileges of any guest, regardless of age. Even if all criteria are met, shipboard personnel may elect, and have the option to, not grant the waiver or any such drinking privileges. The waiver may not apply when the vessel is in certain territorial waters.

high prices? please tell me how much costs in the USA a drink, because here in Spain is much more expensive that in cruises.

It depends where you are. In Miami or NYC, a mojito might cost you $10, but where I live, you wouldn't pay more than about $3. "High prices" are relative and subjective.

It depends where you are. In Miami or NYC, a mojito might cost you $10, but where I live, you wouldn't pay more than about $3. "High prices" are relative and subjective.

3$?!?!?! that is really cheap! can I go and live with you?

Ok, it can be much cheaper in other places but they have to put medium prices, if too high noone wouldd consume, if too low they'll have ships full of drunk people.

But tell me if in a medium establishment are higher than that. Of course buying a bottle and drinking it on you house is cheaper in any country, but I don't take bottles with me when I go party.

For a normal person who drinks a normal amount the prices are really good, if want to get wasted everyday people should look for other kind of cruiselines that include all the alcohol (like pullmantour), go to a resort to places like Republica Dominicana or just stay home drinking till they pass out.

Remember you can get kicked out if you are too drunk, I don't want to be mean but as long as other people are so tight with other policies it should be the same with all of them.

Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to revoke or otherwise restrict drinking privileges of any guest, regardless of age. Even if all criteria are met, shipboard personnel may elect, and have the option to, not grant the waiver or any such drinking privileges. The waiver may not apply when the vessel is in certain territorial waters.

Maybe your outrage on drunkedness on board should be directed towards those who have purchased the premium alcohol package and desire to get the biggest bang for their buck rather than the few who smuggle a rum runner or two on board?

3$?!?!?! that is really cheap! can I go and live with you?

Ok, it can be much cheaper in other places but they have to put medium prices, if too high noone wouldd consume, if too low they'll have ships full of drunk people.

Sure you can...I'm sure the wife wouldn't mind - we have a oceanfront balcony off both the living room and master bedroom too !

I don't think X, in particular, is worried about overly drunk passengers or they wouldn't offer an unlimited beverage package. That's the ultimate in enabling, have people pay a set fee up front and invariably they'll feel the need to "get their money's worth", which is the fastest route to over-consumption.

if they wanna charge 7-10 for a drink fine. i can understand that. go to a miami club and see what it will cost you lol. but i do think we should get a discount if were buying bottles. buying a bottle is like buying in bulk your supposed to get a better deal

Sure, it can be cheaper buying drinks in a neighborhood bar. But comparing drink prices on a cruise ship to prices in such a bar is like comparing apples to oranges. A better comparison would be prices at the bar, lounge or restaurant at a resort hotel. After all, isn't that what a cruise ship is most similar to as far as living conditions are?

Sure, it can be cheaper buying drinks in a neighborhood bar. But comparing drink prices on a cruise ship to prices in such a bar is like comparing apples to oranges. A better comparison would be prices at the bar, lounge or restaurant at a resort hotel. After all, isn't that what a cruise ship is most similar to as far as living conditions are?

Sure, but again, that's not exactly apples to apples either, since pretty much any resort would allow you to have a bottle in your room if so desired, an option most cruise lines do not afford their patrons.

We all know people that smuggle booze onboard. I dont drink hard alcohol very often, so I don't mind the drink prices.

I find it interesting that during the wine immersion cruises, wine is allowed to be brought onboard for immediate consumption. ( from what I read ).

Regent allows you to bring anything you want onboard ( including fabric steamers ).

I don't think that it's terrible that many people buy a bottle of local wine during mediterranean stops to drink onboard. On my last cruise, they didn't even check the backpacks.

Please do others a favor and don't "normalize" what you deem to be appropriate. The thread was on rum runners - taking down a dark path to drunken debauchery and what "normal" is, doesn't really sway me either way and I could care less what other's interpretation of "normal" is. I don't profess to be "normal" anyway. :D

Sure, but again, that's not exactly apples to apples either, since pretty much any resort would allow you to have a bottle in your room if so desired, an option most cruise lines do not afford their patrons.

I was only speaking about the comparison of prices, not about rationalizing breaking the rules by smuggling booze on board. Resort hotels also have rules about what is prohibited on their property - a camp fire in your room, for instance. Are you suggesting that it is acceptable to break those rules as well if another type of residence, such as a camp ground, allows it?

I was only speaking about the comparison of prices, not about rationalizing breaking the rules by smuggling booze on board. Resort hotels also have rules about what is prohibited on their property - a camp fire in your room, for instance. Are you suggesting that it is acceptable to break those rules as well if another type of residence, such as a camp ground, allows it?

I've never seen so many strawman arguments in one place.

No, it isn't, because it risks burning the building down. Likewise, if a hotel posts a rule disallowing lions in the lobby, it's not OK to bring one in because you saw one at MGM Grand. We're not talking about rules that exist to protect the safety and well-being of your fellow guests, we're talking about rules that protect the 1000% profit margin on alcoholic beverages that the cruise line needs in order to keep fares artificially low.

Further, I'm not even here advocating booze smuggling, I've already said I'm not doing it - just that I can see why some people would potentially be tempted to circumvent rules whose sole purpose is guaranteeing an absurd profit margin for the cruise line. Smuggling is not stealing. Civil disobedience is also frequently frowned upon, except in retrospect.

It's a choice; if someone chooses to smuggle booze it's their choice and they also choose to accept any consequences associated with it. I don't see how it can be construed as stealing??? It is simply a violation of the cruise contract. If at some point they actually denied boarding to these folks, it would likely curb the practice, however, it would likely have a negative impact on cabin sales.

Those waving their fingers I'm certain have never driven over the speed limit... but, if by chance you have, you really should get on your high horse and ride off into the sunset.

It's a choice; if someone chooses to smuggle booze it's their choice and they also choose to accept any consequences associated with it. I don't see how it can be construed as stealing??? It is simply a violation of the cruise contract. If at some point they actually denied boarding to these folks' date=' it would likely curb the practice, [i']however, it would likely have a negative impact on cabin sales. [/i]

Those waving their fingers I'm certain have never driven over the speed limit... but, if by chance you have, you really should get on your high horse and ride off into the sunset.

Exactly right, the whole post. The bolded, italicized part is key as well - that's exactly why they don't staunchly enforce the rule - if they started denying people boarding and the passengers lost huge amounts of money, you'd end up with a ton of negative press and people questioning the legality or morality of the practice, and the cruise lines don't need that. They need high occupancy rates, and that's the primary driver behind all of this.

I've never seen so many strawman arguments in one place.

No, it isn't, because it risks burning the building down. Likewise, if a hotel posts a rule disallowing lions in the lobby, it's not OK to bring one in because you saw one at MGM Grand. We're not talking about rules that exist to protect the safety and well-being of your fellow guests, we're talking about rules that protect the 1000% profit margin on alcoholic beverages that the cruise line needs in order to keep fares artificially low.

Further, I'm not even here advocating booze smuggling, I've already said I'm not doing it - just that I can see why some people would potentially be tempted to circumvent rules whose sole purpose is guaranteeing an absurd profit margin for the cruise line. Smuggling is not stealing. Civil disobedience is also frequently frowned upon, except in retrospect.

Of course my example of the campfire was deliberately nonsensical to counter your pointless argument that a typical resort hotel would allow you to bring alcohol into your room, so this cruise line should do so as well. It makes absolutely no difference what hotels allow. It wouldn't even matter if all other cruise lines in the world allow it. What matters is that it is the policy of this particular cruise line, a policy that all passengers agree to when they accept the conditions required when finalizing their booking. I have a very difficult time understanding why people can't honor the agreements they make with the cruise line, which in this case is an agreement to not smuggle certain alcoholic beverages on board. What does it say about a person's integrity if they can't even honor an agreement they themselves made? If it was the cruise line that reneged on their side of the agreement, the passenger would consider that a broken promise and would complain loudly. Agreements between two parties work both ways, IMHO.

If a person is offended by the cruise line's co-called "absurd profit margin", they should find another place to spend their time instead of breaking the agreed upon rules for their own selfish convenience.

Those waving their fingers I'm certain have never driven over the speed limit... but' date=' if by chance you have, you really should get on your high horse and ride off into the sunset.[/quote']

I drive the speed limit - have done so for as long as I can remember. I don't understand the need for speeding, seeing no worthwhile benefits to it. So, please keep your lectures about finger waving to yourself. When I drive into the sunset, I do so without having to watch my rear view mirror for the police attempting to ticket me. I can actually enjoy the drive without such distractions.

BTW: I leave my high horse at home where I ride it when I post to these forums. :D

Bottom line is that the cruise line has X amount of dollars dedicaterd to alcohol in budget each year and the ships are challenged to deliver that amount. The more booze that is smuggled on, the less dollars the ships bring in on that line item of the budget. When the new budgets are made, if they don't reach the dollars assigned to alcohol, then Celebrity will have to make adjustments to the budget and make it up in other areas, be it the costs speciality dining, spa treatments, shore excursion or your overall cruise fare. So we all pay for it; if not now (buy purchasing alcohol on board and not smuggling it on) then later (when they raise the fees on something else to compensate for the lost revenue)! Just business 101.

Of course my example of the campfire was deliberately nonsensical to counter your pointless argument that a typical resort hotel would allow you to bring alcohol into your room, so this cruise line should do so as well. It makes absolutely no difference what hotels allow. It wouldn't even matter if all other cruise lines in the world allow it. What matters is that it is the policy of this particular cruise line, a policy that all passengers agree to when they accept the conditions required when finalizing their booking. I have a very difficult time understanding why people can't honor the agreements they make with the cruise line, which in this case is an agreement to not smuggle certain alcoholic beverages on board. What does it say about a person's integrity if they can't even honor an agreement they themselves made? If it was the cruise line that reneged on their side of the agreement, the passenger would consider that a broken promise and would complain loudly. Agreements between two parties work both ways, IMHO.

If a person is offended by the cruise line's co-called "absurd profit margin", they should find another place to spend their time instead of breaking the agreed upon rules for their own selfish convenience.

There are tons of rules in this world. I'm sure that you've never gone 5 MPH over the speed limit to pass another vehicle either, because that's against the rules and subject to penalty. I'm sure you've never punched it and run a red light in your life, because those traffic lights are there to save lives. I'm sure you read and abide by those 496 page contracts/agreements that websites ask you to click off on before joining. I'll bet you never even brought gum to school without bringing some for the whole class. I'm not attacking you here, just pointing out that everyone decides, consciously or not, which rules can be bent or broken in certain situations.

Each man must for himself alone decide what is right and what is wrong, which course is patriotic and which isn't. You cannot shirk this and be a man. To decide against your conviction is to be an unqualified and excusable traitor, both to yourself and to your country, let men label you as they may. ~Mark Twain

You should read Thoreau, George Bernard Shaw, Camus, Emerson, MLK. Each individual has his or her own moral code which supercedes agenda-driven rule-making. Further, I guarantee the cruise lines don't want anyone who brings a bottle on board to "take their business elsewhere", otherwise they'd actually give their penalties some teeth. It's tacit approval on their part and to suggest otherwise is naive in my opinion.

There are tons of rules in this world. I'm sure that you've never gone 5 MPH over the speed limit to pass another vehicle either, because that's against the rules and subject to penalty. I'm sure you've never punched it and run a red light in your life, because those traffic lights are there to save lives. .

actually its not against the law to speed up to safely and legally pass .

People are killed everyday by those who speed up to run a red light.

Silly examples.

Sorry you do not get the prize for the silliest

:cj

To put things about liquor prices into perspective, I just went to the Holland America board and asked if anyone could provide me with current HAL room service prices for a bottle of liquor. The answer made me suck air:

HAL Scotch & Soda Package $36.80

One bottle of Cutty Sark, 3 Cans of Soda Water

If HAL can sell the same product for less than half the price (setting aside the can of mixed nuts) and sell their cruises at more or less the same price as Celebrity then maybe the term gouging is appropriate when talking about liquor prices..

George +

Archived