Best Southern Caribbean Island to buy Jewelry?

swtroy

Sailing the Victory soon to St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, and St. Lucia. Would like to get my lovely wife something nice. Anyone experienced enough to recommend the best port and/or store to accomplish this?

Thank you all!

We bought some nice Tanzanite jewelry for my daughter in St. Maarten. Sorry, don't recall the name. But the main street near the ships had lots of nice jewelry stores.

On a cruise, I will spend up to $300 for stuff my daughter likes. More of a bonding experience for us. She found a nice ring she liked, and a pair of earrings. The sales clerk must have recognized that I was going to buy her something, at some store, and decided it would be from her. She kept dropping the price, down from $480, to $220 for the 2 pieces, when I paid cash.

I can beat your good deal. Grand Cayman a couple years ago the wife fell in love with a tanzanite ring with inlayed opals in the band. The clerk tells her he would knock 70% off the retail he tells us it's a $1000 ring for $300. We didn't believe a word he was saying, but bought the ring anyways. Couple weeks after we got home the wife took her ring into the local jeweler to have it appraised. Almost fell over when we got the report back,$1100! Jeweler said it was one of the best stones he had seen. Every once in a while you can fall into a deal I guess

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.027986,-87.994893

If you can work your way past the diamonds internationals at the port, the family owned jewelry stores in downtown Charlotte Amalie St. Thomas are great. I personally like Okidanokh Goldcraft, I think it's in Palm Passage downtown, it's a small shop, they handmake everything they sell, and have great service.

Good luck wherever you end up.

Generally you do better, and safer, at your local stores at home.

Not necessarily. My husband and I bought my diamond ring at Cardow in St. Thomas. When we arrived home, we took it and had it appraised at Jared jewelers in Dallas. It was appraised at a LOT more than what we paid. Almost 40% more.

Fast-forward 7 years later, we bought his diamond ring at Diamonds International in St. Maarten. Had it appraised in Dallas, 35% more.

For our 20th wedding anniversary, I bought him a Rolex watch in Dallas (so I could finance it interest-free.) The same Rolex sold for $1100.00 less in St. Thomas at A H Riise. I'm still cringeing over that one. (Only difference being the Rolex had a different colored face. It was white, but I wanted black.) Of course, I also had to pay 8.25% sales tax.

Swtroy, stay with jewelry stores guaranteed by the Carnival. St. Thomas is my favorite shopping port, and there are great deals in St. Maarten as well.

Have a great time!:)

Sailing the Victory soon to St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, and St. Lucia. Would like to get my lovely wife something nice. Anyone experienced enough to recommend the best port and/or store to accomplish this?

Thank you all!

I would buy in either St. Thomas or St. Maarten. However I would make sure I knew the prices at home of what I was looking to buy. In St. Maarten, I have used the Jewelry Boutique at 62 Front Street.

Ballerina Jewellers St. Maarten ask for Deepak' date=' 56 Front Street and also in St. Thomas ask for Dan. Great service and great deals on jewellery.[/quote']

I would also add Omni Jewelers and Dynasty Jewelers in St. Thomas along with Dazzlers Jewelers and Paradise Jewelers, also in St. Thomas. We've purchased jewelry at all these stores over the years on our cruises and we have never been disappointed. Our biggest score to date was in Dynasty where my wife bought a bracelet originally priced at $2300 for $1100. Don't forget to dicker. They love to dicker in St. Thomas. Anyway, after turning around to leave Dynasty, the salesman asked what it would take to sell my wife the bracelet. I walked over to the watch case, pointed to a Citizen Eco Drive Sky Hawk that I was drooling over and told him that if he'd throw the watch in, he had a deal. He did without batting an eye. The bracelet appraised at home for just over $3200 and the watch is genuine, according to a watchmaker I use here at home.

St. Maarten is quickly catching up to St. Thomas in terms of pricing, selection, etc. But remember: when buying, your customs allowance in St. Thomas is much higher than it is in St. Maarten.

Good luck!

Not necessarily. My husband and I bought my diamond ring at Cardow in St. Thomas. When we arrived home, we took it and had it appraised at Jared jewelers in Dallas. It was appraised at a LOT more than what we paid. Almost 40% more.

Fast-forward 7 years later, we bought his diamond ring at Diamonds International in St. Maarten. Had it appraised in Dallas, 35% more.

For our 20th wedding anniversary, I bought him a Rolex watch in Dallas (so I could finance it interest-free.) The same Rolex sold for $1100.00 less in St. Thomas at A H Riise. I'm still cringeing over that one. (Only difference being the Rolex had a different colored face. It was white, but I wanted black.) Of course, I also had to pay 8.25% sales tax.

Swtroy, stay with jewelry stores guaranteed by the Carnival. St. Thomas is my favorite shopping port, and there are great deals in St. Maarten as well.

Have a great time!:)

I totally agree with the choice of Cardow's in St.Thomas. Over the years I've bought a sapphire & diamond ring, a 3-diamond ring, a yellow gold omega, & a gorgeous 20-inch 16mm black pearl necklace... all at Cardow's. Each item was appraised at home for more than I paid. In the case of the pearl necklace, significantly more.

I've been dealing with Jay at Granfd Jewelers in St Thomas for over 10 years. Both myself and family have had things designed and sent from there to here as well as buying in person. I've had an independent appraiser (not a jeweler) look at things and have always gotten more than we paid for. they also have a store in St Marten

Really, jewlery appraised at 40 to 70 % over what you paid. Thats standard for jewlers.

Just dont but in cozumel. They are thieves.

Didn't buy there because they don,t even truthfully measure the diamond weight.

one of the stores was Diamonda Intl.

I went to seven others. With the same result.

Then Rodgers Boots is another story as well.

I would buy in either St. Thomas or St. Maarten. However I would make sure I knew the prices at home of what I was looking to buy.

I agree with this poster. Check at home first if you have an idea the piece you want to buy. I even bought beautiful emerald earrings in Antigua. :)

ST THOMAS!! Beverly's is the best! I and many friends have gotten great deals there. Never pay the listed price... they will always deal. They have 2 stores...one at the cruise dock, and one downtown on the shopping street I thinks its one street off the water, not the street along the water). We did better at the shop in town. They also serve water, sodas, and drinks while you shop!

Really, jewlery appraised at 40 to 70 % over what you paid. Thats standard for jewlers.

Just dont but in cozumel. They are thieves.

Didn't buy there because they don,t even truthfully measure the diamond weight.

one of the stores was Diamonda Intl.

I went to seven others. With the same result.

Then Rodgers Boots is another story as well.

Why then, are prices for the exact same rings (such as the one my DH bought at Diamonds International) higher in the US, PLUS added sales tax?

I've gotten a beautiful ring and necklace at Tanzanite International in St. Thomas. But got the best deal on an even bigger :D ring at Kay's Jewelry on St. Marten. (It's not part of the U.S. chain--it's family owned.) A lot of my friends have bought jewelry there too and we've all been very happy.

I'd go there again and again. Your wife will love whatever you buy!

Disney, I can't speak for what you brought.

What the dirtbags at D.I. in coz. tried to steal from me on a diamond ring.

As well as 5 other stores in coz.

I did my home work at home on the price for a mans diamond ring.

The mexicans in the coz stores must think americans are stupid.

The starting prices were 14k, 10.5k, 7.9k, 11.5k, 6.9k, 4.5k, on a .55 carat diamond and gold ring.

Priced in Fort laud. $1100.

Disney, I can't speak for what you brought.

What the dirtbags at D.I. in coz. tried to steal from me on a diamond ring.

As well as 5 other stores in coz.

I did my home work at home on the price for a mans diamond ring.

The mexicans in the coz stores must think americans are stupid.

The starting prices were 14k, 10.5k, 7.9k, 11.5k, 6.9k, 4.5k, on a .55 carat diamond and gold ring.

Priced in Fort laud. $1100.

The poster isn't going to Cozumel but asked about St Thomas, St Martin, St Lucia and St Kitts. I wouldn't purchase jewelry in Cozumel or anywhere in Mexico unless it was just cheap sterling silver that I liked.

I have purchased several pieces in both St. Thomas and St. Martin, on several trips in the last ten years, all with great results at several different stores (rings, pendants, earrings - diamonds, tanzanite). I have been happy with all my pieces and the evaluations I received on some of the pieces. The only item I was not happy with was the earrings I purchased from Diamond International, they were worth significantly less and bothered my ears (because they were plated gold, not real gold). The most important thing is that you buy your wife a piece that she will love, enjoy and wear. Have a great trip!

Archived