GTY - Will it be assigned prior to sailing?

Archaegeo

I have a GTY reservation on the Oasis (Oceanview Guarenteed).

Is it possible that it will not be assigned prior to showing up on the ship? This is only my second time doing a Guarenteed, last time was on princess and we got upgrade from a balcony to mini-suite, very nice.

Not counting on an upgrade, just curious how close to the wire it will get before getting assigned?

Also, I know on Oasis/Allure, some of the "balcony" are facing inward on central park, is that the case with some oceanview as well? Or are they all truly oceanview?

Yes, you'll receive your assignment before the cruise, and in the oceanview category, you may be assigned a cabin with a window view to the ocean, the Boardwalk or Central Park. Enjoy! You are going to love this cruise. :)

Do you mean a Boardwalk or Central Park balcony? Or are there cabins facing them that only have windows?

Oasis & Allure have three kinds of OV (window, no balcony) cabins--those that look out over the ocean, those that look out to the Boardwalk and those that look out over Central Park. Sometimes, Royal Caribbean sells a GTY for a specific type of OV cabin, e.g., Central Park OV GTY. So you know when you are booking the exact "sub-category" of OV you are getting (or better, whatever that might be). Other times, Royal Caribbean offers a general OV GTY booking. phoenix1181 and TwoTravelin may be aware of a recent Royal Caribbean policy change about those general OV GTY bookings; in the past, passengers who have booked a general OV GTY have being assigned to all three types of OV cabins.

Bottom line, as I interpret what the OP paid for, there is a chance the assignment will be any of the three types of OVs.

As for when you find out, yes, you might not learn your cabin assignment until you show up at the pier, but in my experience, that's pretty rare. The only time we didn't find out in advance was when we booked on the very last day they would accept a booking before sailing!

Hi, christie584! Hope you find out soon!

^ When it happened to us, the luggage handlers knew what to do with our luggage. They simply pulled a clipboard, found our name on a list and told us we were good, they'd deliver our luggage. (I think that list told them our cabin assignment--they didn't reveal it to us, though.) Also, I think when you login online to check your cruise booking status, you can print out luggage tags that have a number and/or bar code that is personal to you. I have some fuzzy recall about using luggage tags that were non-specific as to cabin.

Yeah,

Its got to be wierd having ones that look out over the "ocean" of central park or other interior ship. They should rename them.

And I wonder if your stateroom becomes like a fishbowl if you have your curtains open.

And yeah, we are GTY, so I am betting could end up in one of those.

Oasis & Allure have three kinds of OV (window, no balcony) cabins--those that look out over the ocean, those that look out to the Boardwalk and those that look out over Central Park. Sometimes, Royal Caribbean sells a GTY for a specific type of OV cabin, e.g., Central Park OV GTY. So you know when you are booking the exact "sub-category" of OV you are getting (or better, whatever that might be). Other times, Royal Caribbean offers a general OV GTY booking. phoenix1181 and TwoTravelin may be aware of a recent Royal Caribbean policy change about those general OV GTY bookings; in the past, passengers who have booked a general OV GTY have being assigned to all three types of OV cabins.

Bottom line, as I interpret what the OP paid for, there is a chance the assignment will be any of the three types of OVs.

As for when you find out, yes, you might not learn your cabin assignment until you show up at the pier, but in my experience, that's pretty rare. The only time we didn't find out in advance was when we booked on the very last day they would accept a booking before sailing!

Hi, christie584! Hope you find out soon!

No, I wasn't aware of a policy change, just curious. If I were to book an OV GTY, I'd expect to look out & see water, not trees................. And I wouldn't be happy if I got the trees!

To me, OV = Oceanview. Any cabin, that has a window that doesn't look out at the ocean should have a different designation

It's no big deal if you don't know your assignment ... the porters have a a manifest. I actually once had my cabin change and was not even told that it had changed ... when I sat down after checking in, I realized that the partial cabin number on the card did not match where I thought I was assigned and I actually had to go to guest relations to ask what deck it was on. Even though the cabin changed, my bag still eventually made it.

Yeah, they are amazing with getting luggage where it needs to go in such a short time.

Re OV being OV, yep. I will be put out as well. It wont ruin the vacation, but when I looked at the ship, I saw the balconies overlooking the interior, and knew that wasnt for me, and oceanview guarentee was just such a nice price.

But I want an oceanview, if I am a fishbowl, i'll complain about it after the fact asking them to rename that class into something new (Parkview or FB Fishbowl)

I booked in October for a cruise on march 11 and still haven't gotten my assignment. I would love to know now, but I have a feeling I'll be getting it when I get to the ship!

Wow, I'd be very anxious by now. I notice that you're on the Splendour - have a great trip !! :)

I booked in October for a cruise on march 11 and still haven't gotten my assignment. I would love to know now, but I have a feeling I'll be getting it when I get to the ship!

Could be a good thing- I booked an Inside ROS (Run of Ship) as it was called back then, for our Voyager cruise. We obtained our stateroom number at the pier. Walking down the hall I noted that our location was on the oceanview side, not interior. I said "I think we may have an Oceanview". DH and I got to our door, and I couldn't believe my eyes when we peeked in and saw our first balcony stateroom! :)

Apparently by making a post here they notice and you get your cabin (or so I will choose to believe).

7506, catagory F, on the bow overlooking the ocean (and helipad). Though I am concerned that it looks like we are right above the fitness center so might get early morning wake-ups?

• 2 weeks later...

We sail on Sunday and I upgraded one of our Promenade cabins to a Guarantee Junior Suite last Saturday, so 8 days before sail date. We still don't have a cabin assignment. The only reason I'm anxious is because I had hoped we would get a cabin near our other Promenade cabin so our family could be together. Oddly, I asked the reservations agent if she felt it would be best for me to upgrade both cabins and she said no. She also went on to tell me that she could only count 12 remaining available cabins. At this point, the ship appears to have 3 cabins available; 1 Interior and 2 Outside cabins. Where is my Junior Suite or better cabin? I'm starting to panic a little. I guess the worst case scenario is they forgot about us and we will have to cram all 4 of us into the assigned Promenade cabin that sleeps 2. One way or another, I'm going on this cruise!

I've never not had a cabin selection prior to check in.

We generally do guarantee, as we see no reason to pay more for the same exact cabin layout...and might (although never have) be upgraded.

In any case, just go with the flow....maybe you'll know....maybe not...but it doesn't really matter as all the cabins in the same class are virtually identical.

Archived